Friday, January 27, 2017

Bowling, Asparagus

I'm feeling lazy and tired tonight (Thursday) so this will be a short blog. Bowling went well today I'm pleased to say, pity it's not league play though. Admittedly I have been banking these scores just in case, but they could end up never being used.

Those of you who know me will be surprised to hear I broke down and bought some asparagus from the store this week. Normally I don't touch the stuff from one asparagus season til the next and then buy it at the farm. However, I was hungry for Baked Salmon with Asparagus in Foil and so I gave in. So guess what we are having for supper tonight? Mind you, I am counting the days until the first farm asparagus is ready for sale. The stuff I bought looks a bit weedy to say the least.

Baked Salmon and Asparagus in Foil
Classy Cooking with a Sprinkle of Fancy


Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
4 (6 oz) skinless salmon fillets
1 lb asparagus, tough ends trimmed (unless they are fresh picked)
2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon thinly sliced
Fresh dill sprigs, or chopped fresh thyme, rosemary or parsley


Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut four sheets of aluminum foil about 14-inch long. Divide asparagus into 4 equal portions (about 8 spears per foil packet) and layer in center of each length of foil. In a small bowl stir together oil with garlic. Drizzle 1 tsp of the oil over portion of asparagus then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rinse salmon and allow excess water to run off, then season bottom of each fillet with salt and pepper. Layer fillets over asparagus. Drizzle top of each salmon fillet with 1 tsp of the olive oil mixture and season top with salt and pepper to taste. Top each with about 2 sprigs dill and 2 lemon slices (if using fresh thyme or rosemary use about 3/4 tsp per each if using parsley use 1 1/2 tsp). Wrap sides of foil inward over salmon then fold in top and bottom of foil to enclose.
Place foil pouches in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until salmon is cooked through, about 25 - 30 minutes. Unwrap and serve warm.

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - salmon and asparagus is always good. Hope you feel easier soon - take care ... Spring is coming! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but not usually bought in a store Hilary. I feel OK, just lazy and tired. Spring comes earlier for you, we just had a dollop of snow again.

      Delete
  2. Feel better. Have Matt do the cooking for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I do feel a bit better this morning, not exactly jumping over the moon though LOL.

      Some hopes, he doesn't cook at all these days.

      Delete
  3. You bought them at the store? I had to re-read that because surely that wasn't what you wrote. But it was. OMG. I'm gobsmacked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be Ivy. I am not sure my impatience will be rewarded either.

      Delete
    2. I sometimes think about buying the frozen ones.

      Delete
    3. We don't get those up here Ivy. They used to be pretty good.

      Delete
  4. Your body needs to rejuvenate so sleep is good. Glad you can still bowl though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could probably bowl in my sleep Birgit, probably wouldn't make much difference to my scores either LOL

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you had a good bowling day!!! I saw asparagus in the store too but I was hesitant to shell out $4 for them. I do love them though so maybe this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if it's anything like the stuff I bought JoJo, it isn't much good. Ivy, above, mentioned the frozen, IMHOP that tastes more like real asparagus.

      Delete