Thursday, January 5, 2017

Leg of Pork, Ultra Sound, Decorations, Menendez Brothers,

I forgot to mention that when we went shopping yesterday (Tuesday) our supermarket had legs of pork for sale. Not sure if they were the whole leg or just the upper part, but I was staggered. I have never seen those there before. Most of the stores round here, apart from a few special ones, don't butcher their meat but get it pre-wrapped. They still have butchers on staff so I'm not quite sure what they do other than serve people. I wanted to buy one of these legs, stupid, just for Matt and I, but I so missed our roast pork and crackling which we always had on Boxing Day (Dec 26).  Those were the days, used to do a roast goose for Christmas Eve, turkey the next day and then leg of pork. I have mentioned this before I know. Yes, we did have a lot of meat to use up. Mind you the skin of the pork, crackling, was very moreish and I had trouble leaving it alone. It is NOT diet food, so maybe just as well we didn't have one. I used to get very confused when we lived in North Carolina, they call a leg of pork a ham. To me a ham is not the same thing at all. Reminds me an English friend who is on our bowling league, mentioned that she had a joint of roast beef. I said "how long have you been here?" She came about the same time as us, just over 40 yrs ago. Some English words and phrases remain the same even after all those years.

I went for my ultra sound. I don't have any results yet. I am not fond of ultra sounds because of the gel they use which, admittedly dries pretty fast, but it takes forever to clean it off yourself before you get dressed. At least this vascular clinic warms theirs slightly. Most places the gel is ice cold. Brr. I find I was pretty cold by the time she had finished anyway.

The rest of the day I didn't do a lot until Matt went and got the boxes and we started on the decorations. The tree is still up but bare now. I really can't do any of this for long any more.

I just had a "discussion" with Matt. The Menendez brothers were on the news today. Some years ago they killed their parents. Matt's opinion, they committed murder and that's wrong. My opinion, mitigating circumstances as they were being abused. Not easy to get help because people don't always believe it. They can't see that a wealthy family could possibly have such problems. I feel sorry for the two of them.

Kevin Lynch writes an excellent food blog with lots of recipes he has invented. I don't pass on many as he prefers I only use one now and again. However, this one I will likely be using quite soon.

Blackened Salmon with Avocado Salsa

Salmon seasoned with a tasty cajun spice blend and pan fried until crispy served topped with a cool
and creamy avocado salsa!

FOR THE BLACKENED SALMON:
1 Tbs oil
4 (6 ounce) pieces salmon
4 tsp cajun seasoning
FOR THE AVOCADO SALSA:
2 avocado, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1 Tbs cilantro, chopped
1 Tbs lime juice
salt to taste
FOR THE AVOCADO AND CUCUMBER SALSA:
2 avocado, diced
1 cup cucumber, diced
1/4 cup green onion, diced
1 Tbs parsley, chopped
1 Tbs lemon juice
salt to taste

1. FOR THE BLACKENED SALMON:

2. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat, add the salmon, seasoned with the cajun seasoning, and cook until deeply golden brown to slightly blackened before flipping and repeating for the other side.

3. FOR THE AVOCADO SALSA:

4. Mix everything and enjoy on the salmon!

5. FOR THE AVOCADO AND CUCUMBER SALSA:

6. Mix everything and enjoy on the salmon!

Servings: 4

Tips
Option: Use trout, tilapia or other fish instead of salmon.Note: Serve the salmon with one of the avocado salsa or the avocado and cucumber salsa.

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Around here a leg of pork is called a 'fresh ham', not to be confused with a 'cured ham.' My big tree is still up and will likely come down this weekend. All the snowman stay out until the snow is gone, or April 1, whichever comes first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd how these names vary Denise.

      How was your visit to the doctor?

      Delete
    2. I have a virus so basically nasal sprays and cough medicine. No magical cure but I told my doctor to work on one.

      Delete
    3. No antibiotics? Hope you get better soon Denise

      Delete
  2. The Menendez brothers SAY they were abused but was there any proof other than their word?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True JoJo, but then is there ever any proof?

      Delete
  3. HI, Jo,

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Hope you enjoyed your holidays.... yes, I still have my tree up, too....fully decorated. Lol.... Being Italian decent, we always keep our trees up until the 6th...the Epiphany. So I may tackle it this weekend, or later. A friend will be visiting and wants to see my tree/decorations, so I may leave it up until then. I must admit the tree seems to be getting bigger. My space is very small here in Orlando and my tree is HUGE.... I have vaulted ceiling so I wanted a tall tree... 9ft.but it is a very happy, full tree.

    Hope all works out well with your MRI....

    AND... that salmon looks AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael. How about posting pictures of your tree, I bet it looks beautiful. The 6th is when I normally take mine down, but proceeding slowly at the moment. Like the idea of a happy tree.

      Ultra sound went OK thanks.

      Delete
  4. Pork is one of the cheapest meats in the UK at the moment (lamb and beef being VERY expensive) - we had belly pork slow cooked yesterday ... but I agree the crackling is not good for the waistline (yummy though)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's odd Sue, lamb used to be inexpensive, but I guess that's 40 years ago LOL. Like the sound of your belly of pork. Matt doesn't like crackling so guess who gets the lion's share!!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous salmon recipe, Jo. The ultrasound on your abdominal/pelvic area is horrible because you have to drink a heap of water and have a completely full bladder for them, then they press the cold paddle down hard on your bladder. I hate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not for this one Pinky. Depends what they are looking for. I do remember having to do that once, but don't remember what they were looking for.

      Delete
  6. Pork crackling and bacon are the only meats I miss since becoming a vegetarian many years ago. There is simply nothing that compares.
    I hope your ultrasound is useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Helen. Two of my favourites.

      I hope so too.

      Delete