Friday, January 13, 2017

Thursday, Vijay's Indian Restaurant, Bowling, Coupons

Samosas
We've been home from the restaurant about three quarters of an hour and I am still stuffed. I thoroughly enjoyed the food and boy was there a lot of it. We started with a pappadum to nibble on then we got an onion bhaji plus a samosa served with a spicy Tamarind chutney which I thought was delicious. Having eaten those, our main course was Buttered Chicken, Rogan Josh (beef curry) Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potato cooked in spices with fresh ginger) and a large dish of rice also Nan bread for dipping. At the end of all that I was totally full up but I managed to "force" down a little dessert which was a small ball of something sweet in a delicious syrup. I don't remember the name. This all came with a choice of beverage so I ordered wine. Matt, as usual, will not drink when he is out, just water, so I had his wine too. I was impressed with what we were served although the quantities were rather large I thought. Matt was not so keen. Pity. I have a small pot of Tamarind chutney which I brought home. We did have some leftovers which were mainly sauces and rice so didn't have them in a doggy bag. I thought it was all pretty good value for money too. Of course we took our coupon and on the way out met another couple who asked how it was and they too had a coupon. Just shows you (well me) these coupons do work.

This afternoon we bowled as usual and Matt beat me every time. At least one time I thought I was doing well and he suddenly threw a couple of strikes or so and raced ahead. Grrrr. There was another couple there bowling next us. They were doing a bowl ahead for their league and the woman started with a 304 then a 276 and dropped down to a 210. I didn't know whether to be intimidated or impressed LOL. Turned out her average was 175. I should be so lucky.

Yesterday's mail I was scrabbling for the coupon books to get the bowling ones people threw away, and yet our friends at the alley today still haven't received their coupon books. I gave them one of mine today. I have plenty. The super's wife was looking for them for me as well. I figured it out I save $156 a year using them. Actually, today we were invited to join the league which plays on Thursday afternoons, they used not to accept men but their numbers have fallen so much they now do so. However, we decided we didn't really want to join a second league.

So today is Thursday the 13th. Why does no-one worry about that day but only Friday 13?

Had to give you a recipe for Onion Bhaji didn't I?
Onion Bhaji

Onion Bhaji

Ingredients

2 free-range eggs
onions, sliced
120g/4oz plain flour
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra if required
  • Method

  • Beat the eggs in a bowl.
  • Add the onion rings and mix well.
  • Add the flour, ground coriander and cumin seeds and stir well to combine
  • Heat the oil in a deep-sided frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add a large spoonful of the bhaji mixture and fry for 30-45 seconds, until golden-brown.
  • Turn the bhaji over and fry for a further 30 seconds, until crisp and golden-brown all over. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
  • Repeat with the remaining bhaji mixture, replenishing the oil in the pan if it runs low and allowing it to heat up again after a new addition

  • Have a great day

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - so glad you had a happy meal ... I'm always full if I eat out and that finishes me off til later or the next day ... I enjoy Indian meals occasionally ... and really should learn more about them. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was good Hilary. I used to love Indian food, nowadays I hardly ever have any. Most of their stuff is very healthy too.

      Delete
  2. Glad you really enjoyed the meal even if Matt wasn't impressed.
    That's a good savings on bowling. It does add up.
    Friday the 13 today. Just another day for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Alex, thanks. Not sure why Matt wasn't impressed he used to like Indian food.

      Yes it is a good savings. I agree, just another day.

      Delete
  3. Did not know it was Friday the 13th until you mentioned it. I moved into my home on FT13 so not unlucky for me. I did Google the superstition and found some interesting info. I am not superstitious. We used to have a really good Indian restaurant near me, but once they closed I never looked for another. There is an Indian market up at the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never Googled it myself, I should do so Denise. In England there are dozens of Indian restaurants and takeaways, but not so many here although they are increasing.

      Delete
  4. I've never tasted Indian food but I've walked by enough restaurants and the smells made my stomach turn. I'm not a fan of curry and spicy! Glad you had fun bowling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it JoJo, but you reminded me of my cousin. When she was training to be a nurse, in the UK, there were many Indian girls in her nurses home who cooked their own foods and she got so the smell made her ill.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy seeing 13/Friday when it comes around. Wow, on the food. I'm stuffed just by reading that you're stuffed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take a lot of notice of it Ivy.

      Yes, it was a very filling meal.

      Delete
    2. I take some. I like when it's a full moon, or Halloween or a thirteen on a Friday. And of course, I love ALLLL day fours, because that's just the best number ever.

      Delete
    3. Do you buy lottery tickets with 4s in the number Ivy?

      Delete