Thursday, January 12, 2017

Vijay's, Wheel of Fortune,

I finally got the coupon books I have been waiting for. The contain many discount coupons including ones for Towne Bowl. I cannot use them for the League but we can use them on Thursdays. I grab them out of as many books as I can - people just throw them in the bin by the mail boxes. I even have the super's wife looking for them for me!! The coupons for the bowling alley don't save us a lot but it mounts up over the year. I also pulled out a coupon for a local Indian Restaurant which I have been wanting to try for years and for some reason, we have never got round to it. The coupon is "2 can dine for $39" and the menu sounds pretty good. We have decided to go this evening after bowling. If it's any good I have a couple more coupons. I haven't been to an Indian Restaurant since we came to Canada. There used not to be many but there are 3 I know of in this area. I also used to cook curries but haven't done that for quite a few years too.

I don't know how many of you watch Wheel of Fortune. Matt does most nights and I watch sort of. I am somewhat suspicious of the programme because when time becomes short, Pat Sajak spins the wheel and in all the years we have been watching it, he has never landed on a bankrupt. That says to me the wheel is being controlled.

I just love pickled vegetables but have never tried making them. I thought this was a recipe I would try.

Mexican Pickled Vegetables

These spicy pickled vegetables are like a Mexican version of Italian giardiniera and are delicious with tacos and as a condiment for any sandwich or burger. The recipe makes a large batch but it keeps well
in the refrigerator. Packed into glass jars, it makes a nice gift

1 Tbs black peppercorns
2 tsp allspice berries
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp whole cloves
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
10 cloves garlic, peeled
1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 lb pearl onions, fresh (peeled; see Tip) or frozen (thawed)
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 large red, yellow or orange bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
1 small habanero, or 2 small jalapeƱo peppers, stemmed and thinly sliced
2 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
6 bay leaves
2 Tbs dried oregano
1 Tbs salt
1 tsp cumin seeds

1. Place peppercorns, allspice berries, coriander seeds and cloves on an 8-inch-square double layer of cheesecloth. Bring up the sides, making a bundle that encloses the spices, and tie at the top with kitchen string (or put the spices in a stainless-steel tea ball).

2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat Add sliced onion and garlic cloves and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, pearl onions, carrots, bell pepper and habanero (or jalapeƱos). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in vinegar, bay leaves, oregano, salt, cumin seeds and the spice bundle and cook 2 minutes more.

3. Let cool for 15 minutes before transferring everything to a large nonreactive bowl (see Tip). Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool, about 2 hours. Serve using a slotted spoon to leave behind excess oil.

Yield: 8 cups

Tips
If using fresh pearl onions, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add onions and cook 1 minute to loosen the skins. Drain. When cool enough to handle, trim both ends, leaving enough of the root end to keep the onions whole while cooking. Peel off the skins. A nonreactive bowl or pan—stainless-steel, enamel-coated or glass—is necessary when cooking with acidic foods, such as vinegar, to prevent the food from reacting with it.

Author: Elvia
Source: WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Let us know if the restaurant is good.
    That is a little suspicious that he's never landed on Bankrupt... My wife wants to know why the heck they still have Vanna since it could all be done electronically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Alex.

      I think it is suspicious. Never thought of that - would save them her salary which is pretty high.

      Delete
  2. I used to love Wheel of Fortune and I was good at it too. Then I had a wisdom tooth pulled and I lost my Wheelability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity about that, maybe it really was a Wisdom tooth JoJo.

      Delete
  3. I love a good curry. I made one the other night. My secret ingredient is paw paw chutney. I hope you have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of paw paw chutney Pinky, sounds interesting.

      Had a good meal, see tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I've noticed the same thing about Wheel of Fortune. I think what they do is do it again and edit out the bad spin. Or spins, as the case might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, OK, I never thought of that John, there's me thinking bad thoughts about them.

      Delete
  5. He never landed on bankrupt? Wow. Yeah, sounds like something is a little off with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the idea that they do it again because they are taping and edit out the bad spin(s) is a valid one Ivy.

      Delete