Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Bowling, Lamp Base,

Well, well, well, our team actually took all the points at bowling today. Matt and I both bowled pretty well for a change. Long may it continue. I won't know our position in the league until Thursday as not everyone had finished bowling by the time we left.

Somewhat odd, I have a reading lamp by my chair and much to our surprise the base seems to have been weighted with concrete which has split in half. Half is still there but the rest fell out. Weird. I had no idea that the weight of the base included concrete. Anyway, we have to go to a lamp guy in the next town over. Only one in the area. He says he can fix it. Not sure how much this will cost of course. I do know he isn't cheap because we had something done by him before.

I love things like this and will almost certainly make it in the near future.

Tofu and Kimchi Stew

If gochujang hasn’t made it to your pantry yet, this stew recipe would also work with virtually any
miso.

1 Tbs vegetable oil
6 scallions, white and pale-green parts chopped, dark-green parts reserved
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 Tbs gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
3 Tbs soy sauce
1 small daikon, peeled, sliced
½ cup kimchi
¼ block firm silken tofu

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over high. Cook white and pale-green parts of scallions, garlic, and ginger, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add broth, then whisk in gochujang and soy sauce. Add daikon and gently simmer until daikon is tender, 15–20 minutes.

2. Add kimchi and tofu. Simmer until tofu is heated through. Carefully divide among bowls. Thinly slice reserved scallion tops and scatter over.

Servings: 4

Author: Chris Morocco
Source: Bon Appetit


Have a great day
 

15 comments:

  1. Depending on the cost, might be easier just to buy a new lamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Alex and I have just ordered one from Amazon.

      Delete
  2. Nice your bowling is going well. May it continue.
    The stew sounds interesting. I haven't been game to try kimchi yet. Perhaps I should - but I'm not too sure that my husband would be keen. He's none too adventurous with food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope it does Helen.

      Sorry your hubby isn't adventurous. Luckily mine is - I don't think I could stand living with someone who wasn't.

      Delete
  3. I was also going to suggest buying a new lamp too! Glad you had a good bowling day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo, and yes, you and Alex were right.

      Delete
  4. Things these days seem to have built in obsolescence and it's cheaper to just buy new stuff. Maybe that's why the world is running out of landfill. Such a shame don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Pinky. I tend to want to repair rather than replace. I especially like this lamp, however, replace it I have. I didn't know we were running out of landfill.

      Delete
  5. Glad you guys did so well. Kimchi yum. My spicy take came out yummy. All gone now and I have made so many, I don't always remember what I put in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So were we Ivy. I still haven't done anything about Kimchi. I just don't seem to have time. Dunno where it goes mind you, but there never seems to be any extra.

      Delete
    2. Fermented do take a bit of time to put together. But oh so much better than what I taste at the store.

      Delete
    3. And you don't have to make a big jar. It can be brought down to a small one.

      Delete
    4. Gotta try one of these days Ivy. Saw an ad today for great pots for fermenting stuff in.

      Delete
  6. That's weird about your lamp....I think I would just buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I ended up doing Birgit. It was weird.

      Delete