Monday, January 23, 2017

Crispy Lamb, Fog. Movie,

As I said I would, I cooked the recipe for Crispy Lamb with Cumin, Scallions and Red Chilles on Saturday night. I made a few alterations, I didn't have cumin seeds only ground cumin. I didn't have green onions so I used leek and I only had pepper flakes. However, it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference and was absolutely delicious. I served it over rice. I had a 3 lbs roast of lamb which is now a 2 lbs one and which will be used twice more to make this dish. I was a tad disappointed because there was no way it was crispy, I thought the egg white in the marinade would achieve that but it didn't. However, we both enjoyed it very much. I used to have two large woks and Matt did a lot of Chinese cooking, however, we hadn't used them very much in years so we got rid of them. Typically, I could have used one to make this dish.

Incredible weather, it's been thick fog for three days. We still have some snow but it's been warmer
which is what's causing it. Sunday, it seems to be thinning down somewhat but it has, by no means, gone yet. I don't think I ever remember it being this foggy in our part of Canada before. Hmm, it did thin down around noon both on Saturday and Sunday, but by mid afternoon it was as thick as ever. You really can hardly see your hand in front of your face. No idea what it's like at street level as we haven't been anywhere.

I saw a cute movie on my computer yesterday, Bunyan and Babe which I enjoyed. Basically a kid's movie I guess but then I am a big kid according to Matt. Babe's voice was Jeff Foxworthy. John Goodman voiced Bunyan and Kelsey Grammar did the two villains. Babe, the Blue Ox was funny.

This is interesting, I haven't made Scotch Eggs in a long time and I certainly didn't make them for picnics. But here is a soft boiled version which sounds pretty good. At the end they talk about baking the eggs. No doubt healthier, but the fried version is delicious. I just realised this recipe says 1 lb meat to 6 eggs. I always used 4 eggs for that amount of sausage. Also, I always use a Fry Daddy to cook my Scotch Eggs so they are in deep oil.

Soft-Boiled Scotch Eggs

A common picnic and party dish in the UK, Scotch eggs were likely first inspired by the Indian and Pakistani dish nargisi kofta, which encases a hard-boiled egg in spicy ground meat. This soft-boiled
approach presents an unexpectedly tender egg yolk within a crispy exterior.

6 eggs, soft-boiled and peeled
1 lb sausage meat
1 Tbs brown mustard
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup lard or other cooking fat

1. Place the eggs in a pot, then cover with 1 inch salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat; as soon as it is boiling, cover the pot and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 4 minutes in the hot water, then carefully transfer to a bowl of ice water. Allow to cool, about 5 minutes. Carefully peel the eggs.

2. Combine the sausage, mustard, parsley and nutmeg, mixing together by hand. Divide the sausage mixture into 6 portions; spread each one out into an oval shape. Add an egg to the sausage, then gently form the sausage around the egg as evenly as possible.

3. Warm the cooking fat to 350° in a skillet, then add an egg or two. When first adding the eggs, gently roll them back and forth to allow the sausage to cook evenly and retain a round shape. Cook until the sausage is cooked through, about 5 minutes per egg.

4. Preheat oven to 170°. Transfer the cooked egg to a plate lined with a paper towel, then place in the oven to stay warm while finishing the other batches of eggs.

Servings: 6

Source: FoodandWine

Author Notes
To bake the eggs instead of frying, place the sausage-covered eggs in large muffin tins and bake at 425? until golden and cooked through, about 30 minutes.


Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I often make substitutions when cooking. It's good to know what you are doing in the kitchen isn't it? We have horrible fog here again today. I went out on Saturday in it and cannot understand why folks do not have their headlamps on. One person said that it is because they can see and don't care if you see them. Kinda stupid I think. I watch 'Zootopia' with my grandson last week. I really enjoyed it. I've never had Scotch eggs. They sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Denise. Last night was as clear as a bell and this morning we have pretty thick fog again. It is compulsory in Canada to use headlamps all the time - in fact they switch on when you start the car. It is stupid if you can't be seen in the fog. I love Scotch eggs. I looked up the Indian version, they sound good too - I linked the name.

      Delete
  2. We've had some fog the past week, but not too thick.
    At first, I read crispy lamb and frog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been thick here and has come back again this morning.

      That's quite a leap Alex.

      Delete
  3. I've never cooked lamb before. Probably never will since I don't eat it and Craig has never requested it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many North Americans seem not to like lamb Diane. Craig has maybe never tasted it. We English love lamb (or lots of us do).

      Delete
  4. Sorry it wasn't like it was supposed to be but glad it tasted good. I enjoy lamb. Got taken away from me too soon. I love how tender it can be made. Over mash usually we did but I can totally see rice working well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good Ivy. Sorry you can't eat lamb any more I know how much you enjoyed it. Well this was an Asian recipe therefore rice was suitable.

      Delete
  5. I've never had Scotch Eggs. I know my husband would love them. Our days have also been gloomy with fog and rain. Depressing but better than a blizzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them Susan. I used to use Jimmy Dean sausage when I lived in the States. Really good sausage.

      Fog has finally disappeared here.

      Delete
  6. Crispy or not, that lamb looks delicious. I'm going to have to try that one out. I also need to try making my own Scotch Eggs. I've eaten plenty at restaurants, but never been brave enough to try my own. I'm not very good at making eggs to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think right up your street Bryan. Scotch Eggs are easy, fiddly, but easy. Prick your eggs with a pin at the fat end, place in cold water, bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes. Put them into cold water again, instantly. Easy peasy.

      Delete
  7. We have a lot of spare eggs at the moment so I should try this. Is fog the same as low cloud? We live in the clouds up here. I often watch them pass through our lounge room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Pinky although probably the effect would be the same, I don't know. Fog is definitely water vapour but it doesn't move once it's settled until the sun warms everything up and it evaporates - it obscures stuff so much sometimes you literally cannot see your hand in front of your face.

      Delete
  8. It has been very foggy and where I live we often don't have this because we are below the escarpment. I know it would have been horrible if I dared travel to Welland or Port Colborne. Why I would travel to Welland I have no idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really thick here Birgit although it seems to have gone now. I went to Welland once I recall.

      Delete