Friday, January 6, 2017

Cold, Bed Spread,

I'm finally warm and it is 8 p.m. Just been one of those days when the cold crept in everywhere. Not least into my bedroom where the window was letting in a draft which moved the blinds and blew across my face. When we went bowling I even wore a T shirt under my sweatshirt and was just about comfortable. It was blowing half a gale (maybe a full one) all night and never got above -10°C all day. Not the coldest I have ever experienced but just seemed to get to me more. Bowling was so so today for both of us. Roll on next week when all the kids will be back at school we hope.

For those of you who read the saga at the beginning of last year regarding bed bugs, I have finally plucked up enough courage to put the bedspread back. It touches the floor and if there were any of the critters around they could nip up the corners with ease. So I really am being very courageous. OK I haven't seen or felt any for many months but....they could have been just waiting. They can last 18 months without feeding.

I was planning to do some cooking tomorrow, Friday, but realised I had forgotten to buy onions when shopping. I will have to get Matt to go to the store first thing for me. I want to make Spiced Beef in Red Wine it is, without doubt, one of the better casseroles I have made/tasted.

Yes, I know I posted a salmon recipe yesterday,  but this looked so delicious I couldn't resist it. Also for those of  you who care, it apparently doesn't taste to salmony. Looks delicious to me.

Sweet Citrus Spiced Salmon

If you're a fan of this omega-3 rich fish but prefer when it doesn't taste, well, too salmony, this Sweet Citrus Spiced Salmon recipe is for you. Salmon is marinated in pineapple and lemon juice and then baked with a sweet and spicy topping, leaving every bite the perfect blend of flavorful (but mellow)
fish!

Citrus Marinade
3/4 cup pineapple juice
6 Tbs fresh lemon juice
6 (6oz) salmon fillets, skin removed
Sweet & Spicy Topping
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine pineapple juice, lemon juice and salmon. Refrigerate for 1 hour, turning occasionally.

2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 11x7-inch baking dish with non- stick cooking spray.

3. For the topping, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, lemon zest, chili powder, cumin, salt and cinnamon. Remove salmon from refrigerator and dispose of marinade. Place fillets in prepared baking dish and rub brown sugar mixture over salmon. Bake 12 minutes or until fish is flaky.

Servings: 6

Source: Zoomer.com

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. It is very cold here too. Minus 13 C right now, but it sounds better as 9 F. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's dropped to about the same here now Denise, but it's really sunny.

      Delete
  2. I like the cold, but that is just a bit too cold for me.
    Hoping no more bed bugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting colder Alex. Beautiful sunny day though.

      I hope so too. Terrible experience.

      Delete
  3. We're finally getting winter weather with snow and cold. Ugh. Do not like this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so long as it isn't dull, damp and cold JoJo.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear. -10C!!!!!! That would kill me. The coldest temperature I've been in was -2C and my hands almost fell off. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -10°c isn't bad Pinky. When we cross country skiied we thought that was a balmy day. Have been out in much colder than that. When your hands almost fell off, did you have gloves on?

      Delete
  5. Fingers crossed that you've seen the last of the bed bugs. It must be nice to have the bedspread back in place, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Helen. But..... something's biting me again. I don't think it's bedbugs though.

      Delete