Saturday, January 7, 2017

Friday Cooking, Saturday Recipe.

What a day. First I stripped the beds and did laundry whilst Matt went to get me some onions, I had run out and forgotten to buy them. Then I started chopping and prepping all the stuff for my Spiced Beef in Red Wine which is a fair amount of work. After that stripping the tree and packing it up to store once more. I wonder if we will ever get it out again. By the time all this was done and I had made lunch, I was bu**ered. I have mentioned the 95 yr. old who comes to exercise class. I met her in the lobby later in the day and she said all she does for Christmas is puts a wreath on the door. Maybe she's got something.

Especially for Pinky Poinker, it is 7 in the evening and it is presently -13°C.

I wonder if there isn't some Asian in my blood line. I just love noodle soups and most any foods from that part of the world.

Korean Beef Noodle Soup


FOR THE BRISKET
1 1/2 lb Brisket
salt
black pepper Freshly ground
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs sugar
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbs sesame oil
1 Tbs Vegetable oil
1 small onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbs Korean ground red chilies (gochugaru)
8 dried anchovies (iriko)
Substitute: extra fish sauce
1 piece kombu, rinsed
3 scallions, halved lengthwise Just the whites

FOR THE BROTH
3 Tbs fish sauce
2 Tbs soy sauce
sugar
salt
black pepper
Freshly ground
1 daikon radish, sliced Medium
1 zucchini, sliced Medium
2 packages frozen udon noodles
1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced Just the greens

1. Cut the brisket into two or more pieces against the grain, so that the grain is about 2 inches in length. Season with salt and pepper and mix with the garlic, soy, and sugar. Turn to coat all sides.

2. Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot on medium and add the oils. Add the onion and cook, stirring until translucent, about 7 minutes.

3. Add the garlic and chili and cook until aromatic, stirring frequently. Add the brisket, 8 cups water (2 liters), the anchovies, kombu and scallion whites. Bring to a boil, then turn to a simmer until the brisket is fork tender, about 3 1/2 hours, adding water as necessary to keep the meat submerged.

4. Remove the meat and shred into bite-sized pieces. Remove and discard the kombu. For the broth, add the fish sauce and soy sauce to the cooking liquid. Taste and add more sugar, salt and pepper as needed. Add the daikon and bring back to a boil. Add the zucchini and bring back to a boil.

5. In a separate pot, boil the noodles in a medium saucepan to reheat and divide among 4 noodle soup bowls. Dividing evenly, top the noodles with the shredded meat, broth, and cooked vegetables. Garnish with the scallion greens and serve immediately.

Servings: 4

Source: Panna
Author: Anita Lo

Have a great weekend
 

4 comments:

  1. I have all the ornaments put away and the tree is lying on the living room floor waiting to go downstairs. I agree there is a lot of work. For a couple of years I did not put the tree up, but decided to start again when Charlie was born. I do not think it makes a big difference to my family one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's me that is the Christmassy person Denise. I love Christmas and all the decorations.

      Delete
  2. Mine's all put away. I love having everything out cause it's so pretty but it is a ton of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right JoJo but I love having everything out too.

      Delete