Thursday, January 26, 2017

RIP Mary Tyler Moore, Snow,

RIP Mary Tyler Moore - what a sad loss. I used to watch the Dick Van Dyke show in England and it was one of my favourites. I don't think I ever saw the Mary Tyler Moore show. I do remember in recent years that she was pro releasing lobsters. Not something I could ever support, cruel I may be but it's my favourite food. I always thought she was great in the Dick Van Dyke show and was so disappointed when the show ended. I learned one thing tonight that she lost her son who shot himself accidentally. Dreadful for any mother to lose their child.

According to the forecast we are supposed to get some more of the white stuff at noon today but checking on my computer it doesn't look too serious, keeping my fingers crossed. At least the bowling alley isn't too far away.

Dunno if it was those dumplings or something else, but about 3 a.m. I developed one heck of a guts ache and felt extremely unwell. Ended up with not much sleep and have been drooping around all day. A lot better now. I insisted Matt went for subs so I didn't have to cook. I did make us a dessert, two decadent chocolate chip cookies sandwiched together with frozen whipped cream. Delicious.

Sorry, more on dumplings. Yesterday I was looking for a picture of mixed dumplings. Today I found one on Facebook.
The little ones on the bottom left hand corner are the ones they call Treasures and I love them. Well, I love them all, you might have guessed.

And now for something completely different. They say this recipe puts you to bed, tucks you in, reads you a story and turns out the lights and no, it is not a shot of whiskey. So for any of you who have trouble going to sleep here is a remedy.

Moon Milk

In Ayurveda (one of the oldest systems of natural healing in the world), warm milk is a common remedy for sleeplessness. This recipe features nutmeg (a natural sleep aid) and ashwagandha (an adaptogen that helps your body deal with stress) to shepherd you to dreamland. Look for
ashwagandha at health food stores, Indian specialty stores, or Whole Foods

1 cup whole milk or unsweetened nut milk (such as hemp, almond, or cashew)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp ground ashwagandha (or another adaptogen, like shatavari or astralagus)
2 pinches of ground cardamom
pinch of ground ginger (optional)
pinch of ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp coconut oil or ghee
1 tsp honey, preferably raw

Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in cinnamon, turmeric, ashwagandha, cardamom, ginger, if using, and nutmeg; season with pepper. Whisk vigorously to incorporate any clumps. Add coconut oil, reduce heat to low, and continue to cook until warmed through, 5–10 minutes (the longer you go, the stronger the medicine). Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in honey (you want to avoid cooking honey or you'll destroy its healing goodness). Pour into a mug, drink warm, and climb right into bed.

Servings: 1

Author: Alaina Sullivan

Have a great day

16 comments:

  1. I was sorry to hear about Mary Tyler Moore, too. So many of the people much younger me spent time watching on TV are leaving us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Helen. That's the trouble with getting older isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I watched the Dick Van Dyke show all the time and saw many episodes of Mary's own show. Really sad she's gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Alex. I may have seen the odd episode of her own show

      Delete
  3. I could never stand the smell of warm milk. But with all the spices it might make it palatable. They sell some good frozen dumplings at Trader Joe's. I may have to go pick some up cause you're making me hungry for them. Years ago I was visiting Toronto and one of my chores was to go a certain Chinese restaurant to pick up frozen dumplings for a co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't had warm milk as such in years Denise, but never minded it. There is a store locally where one can buy dumplings (pot stickers) made by an Asian girl, in store. You can also get them frozen. I'll be going back to Mandarin on the 7th anyway.

      Delete
  4. It is very sad about Mary Tyler Moore but I guess her diabetes caught up with her. I enjoyed the Dick Van Dyke show but I'm surprised you never saw the MTM show because I think you would love it. It was so sad about the death of her son plus she was an alcoholic and had to deal with that as well. It's rainy here so...crappy:) This recipe would put you to sleep because hot milk has something in it to make you sleepy and so does turmeric but the combo doesn't sound too tasty to me especially for bedtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't realise it was the diabetes that got her Birgit. Being alcoholic wouldn't help that. Rainy here at the moment but the forecast is light snow later. Well they virtually guarantee it'll make you sleep.

      Delete
  5. I loved MTM. Her show was a staple in my house when I was growing up and of course I saw her in Dick Van Dyke in reruns. My pediatrician once told my mom to give me warm milk with melted butter and honey to help my bronchitus over a holiday weekend till he could see me the following week. As a result, I no longer can stand the smell or taste of honey, an I could barely choke the warm milk down. I don't think this recipe would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love honey on my oatmeal or just about anything JoJo and certainly have nothing against warm milk.

      Delete
  6. I am having one of those droopy days too. I hope we feel better tomorrow.

    We haven't had much snow this season. My son is holding out hope for February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you normally get much snow Liz? We had more over Christmas than we have had in a long time. Kind of tried to snow today. If your son's wishes work out, please keep it down there, had enough thanks.

      I feel fine now but yesterday, yuk.

      Delete
  7. I grew up with Dick Van Dyke and The Mary Tyler Moore shows. That's sad about her son. The milk recipe sounds quite therapeutic. Turmeric is all the rage lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grew up with??? You guys make me feel so old Pinky.

      I wonder if it's all the rage here? Not heard it.

      Delete