Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year's Eve, Snow,, Music,

Google's Doodle for tonight



When this blog publishes I will just about be in bed having enjoyed a glass of bubbly whilst watching the balls drop in New York and Buffalo. I gather they do a lot of different things around the States, learned that in Jeopardy, including one city drops a genuine apple at midnight. Another place drops some kind of bouquet.

It wasn't snowing at midnight when I went to bed on Monday night but when I got up on NY Eve everywhere was white and snow was still coming down. Wasn't sure if my cleaner would make it and I was considering getting the delivery company to pick up my groceries. However, by 11 when the cleaner came it had stopped snowing and I went to get the groceries myself. The roads were slippery but I drove carefully, of course the main roads were almost clear. Funny season, 3 days of fog over Christmas and now it snows.

Ne Year's Eve, Matt is listening to Steven Sondheim Music. So far we have heard Into the Woods and the Assassins. Neither of which appealed to me one bit. Especially the idea of celebrating the Presidential assassins since John Wilkes Booth. I decided to learn my Spanish and found I had to shut the door. Matt is thoroughly enjoying this concert. I'd buy him a CD but I couldn't stand it LOL. Oh, now they are singing Auld Lang Syne so maybe the concert is over, hurrah. They then changed to the Army Air Force Band playing Glen Miller tunes with singers and dancers. More my kind of thing. I was wondering how many young people of today even know who Glen Miller was.

This recipe appealed to me. As ladydog said, you can't go wrong with capers which I agree with, I would also add smoked salmon to that statement. I wonder, sometimes how these chefs come up with some of these ideas.

Rye and Crème Fraîche Strata with Smoked Salmon

In this playful riff on a bagel with cream cheese and lox, Food & Wine’s Justin Chapple makes a
custardy rye bread pudding with capers, then tops it with smoked salmon and red onion. It’s warm, comforting and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser

8 oz crème fraîche
6 large eggs, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups half-and-half
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1 lb rustic rye bread with crust, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1,4  cups drained capers, plus more for garnish
Thinly sliced smoked salmon and sliced red onion, for serving

1. In a large bowl, whisk the crème fraîche with the eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper. Add the bread, scallions and the 1/4 cup of capers and mix well. Scrape into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and let soak for 1 hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 375°. Bake the strata for 45 to 50 minutes, until puffed and the top

3. is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes. Scatter some salmon

4. on top and garnish with red onion and capers. Serve, passing more salmon at the table.

Yield: 6 to 8

Author: Justin Chapple
Source: Food and Wine

Author Notes
The unbaked strata can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.


Have a great day

10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year. Sleep well.
    Snow? Jealous thoughts. We had a catasprophic day of fires here on New Years Eve. People are dead. Homes are destroyed. Wildlife is dead. Habitat destroyed. Today some fires still rage out of control and the air quality in my city (miles away from the nearest fires is 18 times over the hazardous level. Still hoping for rain. Desperately hoping for rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year and lots of rain. It sounds absolutely awful Sue, I cannot imagine what it is like. I have had some contact with such fires, but nothing like you are getting there. Best of luck and I hope the air quality isn't affecting you too badly.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year - 'fraid I failed ... just had a peaceful night. Glad things got sorted though ... take care and hope that snow doesn't swamp you ... have the easiest year you can - with thoughts Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary - you failed, tut tut. Snow on its way out again now.

      Will try

      Delete
  3. Last time I was up for New Year's was in 2001 when I went to Times Square. I am not a party girl and need my rest, lol.

    I turned off the Sondheim show as I found it rather boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to watch the ball drop Denise. A glass of fizz and all alone.

      I found it cacophanous. Matt liked it.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year to you! I got up late which I haven’t done in years. Pain today especially in my hips, knees and feet and my jaw so don’t like to talk. Regardless a new year is upon us and glad you enjoyed some Glen Miller and Matt enjoyed Into The Woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit. Sorry about all the pain. Not much fun is it?

      Delete
  5. Happy belated New Year to you and Matt, too! Yeah, that is a good question about Glenn Miller. While I even wouldn't know a lot of his music, he was hugely popular and it's a shame people can't look over their shoulder a bit more, myself included though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Have you never seen the movie. It is well worth watching. I love the Benny Goodman movie too. That's how I got to love the music of both of them

      Delete