Saturday, January 18, 2020

Social Worker, Supper, Saturday Recipe

The social worker, Margaret, came this morning and was a very nice woman. Her family had lived in Newcastle in the UK for a number of years. Her son was born there which makes him a Geordie. Just as well he wasn't brought up there or nobody would be able to understand him. Most of the British cannot understand them. My first husband said he worked with a Geordie for two years and still didn't know what he was talking about. Matt's dad was from that area where they too have a strong regional accent. He had lived down south long enough to lose it in every day speech but could put it on when he wanted to fool you. Margaret herself is, I assume, from the Caribbean Islands, I forgot to ask her. Her knowledge of English was perfect, unfortunately her pronunciation was not. Anyway, after chatting for an hour, it basically seems we slip through the cracks. If Matt needed help with showering, we could get someone in who would also help me with things I need, but he doesn't so we are out of luck. However, when she left, she took my recycling bags down for me and then brought the bags back before she left. Really nice of her. She is coming back again in two weeks.

Seems like we are getting that snow storm tomorrow morning with up to 15 cm (almost 6 inches) of snow likely. Quite a bit for this area.

For supper I had some Butter Chicken Sauce left over, so I sauteed some shrimp and snow peas and then poured in the warm sauce. Served over rice, delicious. If you haven't got an Instant Pot yet, you should get one, if only for the Butter Chicken recipe.

I never knew Egg Drop Soup was this easy.

Egg Drop Soup

A super quick and easy Chinese style egg drop soup!

4 cups chicken broth or pork bone broth
4 green onions, sliced
1 inch knob ginger, sliced
1 tsp white peppercorns
2 slices bacon or ham (optional)
1 dried shiitake mushroom (optional)
salt to taste (or soy sauce)
2 Tbs corn starch mixed into 2 tablespoon water
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced (optional)

1. Bring the broth, the whites of the green onions, ginger, peppercorns, bacon, and mushroom to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, before straining out the solids and seasoning with salt to taste.

2. Mix the cornstarch and water mixture into the simmering broth until it thickens, about a minute.

3. Swirl the broth in the pot and while it is still swirling, pour a thin stream of the eggs into the broth until it has all been added.

4. Remove from heat, add the sesame oil, the greens of the green onions, and the mushrooms and enjoy!

Servings: 4

Option: Add 2 tablespoons white miso paste!

Tip: Do step one the day before to save time when serving it.

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Have a great weekend.
 

9 comments:

  1. Stay warm, stay safe.
    And how lovely that Margaret was both nice AND helpful. If there is a way around your current impasse I suspect she will find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It is snowing right now. A very light snow but it is covering the roads nevertheless.

      Yes, she was a nice woman.

      Delete
    2. am from U..A.E I want to share a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. can contact him on his WhatApp number +2348140654426

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - well it's good to know there's someone who will helpful and offer wise advice. I'm glad she's coming back, especially as she was so helpful. As EC says - stay safe and warm ... it's got colder here - but crisp sunny days are due ... had enough of the gloom and bursts of rain. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was a nice woman. Not that she can do a lot for me unfortunately. The snow is pretty heavy now and getting quite thick. We've had some gloomy days lately too and fog caused by snow on the ground and warm temps. Not today though.

      Delete
  3. We got about six inches of snow. I just came in from cleaning the drive. No easy task even with a snowblower. But it is only the second snowfall this season, so no reason to complain yet.
    A friend of mine attended a wedding in Scotland. She said she was clueless the entire trip, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still getting snow Denise, doesn't seem to want to stop, I believe the forecast is for tonight and tomorrow as well.

      Funny, and I believe it. But Geordie is worse.

      Delete
  4. We didn’t get much snow here. I wondered if you fell between the cracks with these people. They are, on the whole, very nice but they seem quite disorganized. I hope she will come back and get you the help you need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a ton and supposed to get more soon Birgit. I could get help if Matt needed someone to bathe him. She is coming back on the 30th.

      Delete