Friday, January 10, 2020

Cooking Instructions, Sweats, Bad Afternoon, Supper, GOAT

I am sure it will surprise many of you that I have never eaten a waffle. Going through my online order last week I came across Eggo and thought I would try them for breakfast. So this morning I got the box out of the freezer and checked how to cook them. Tells you how to use the toaster or the oven, but not the air fryer. I have been thinking a lot lately that prepared food manufacturers need to "get with it" you never see instructions for air fryer or Instant Pot use even when these are perfectly suitable for preparing the product. For instance, pasta and rice can both be cooked in the Instant Pot, Potatoes can be baked or "fried" in the Air Fryer and so on and so on. I rarely use my conventional oven and I also have a toaster oven which I also rarely use these days. By the way, I enjoyed my Eggo done in the Air Fryer and served with some Black Pepper Goat Cheese.

Funny, there is an article in an email I received (Well Done) which talked about Meat Sweats which apparently some people get when they eat a heavily meaty meal. I had never heard of them, but it reminded me that my father would start to sweat if he ate a very rich cheese. He is the only person I know who did that.

Today (Thursday) turned out to be a very bad day. This afternoon, they delivered a transfer bench for Matt's bath and a rail for his bed. He threw a hissy fit and a sort of temper tantrum and went on and on about it. I was trying to stuff peppers at the time. In the end I really lost it and the results were most unpleasant. Eventually we calmed down a bit and I called everyone I could think of to get the stuff taken away. In the end I spoke to the Occupational Therapist who said she would come after her personal appointment, i.e. in her own time. She came and first of all went through Matt's routine of getting into the bath and of using the transfer bench. She agreed he did better without it. Then we went to the bedroom. I agreed with her that he needed it, she went through it several times, but he was adamant he didn't want it. I think she was getting a tad annoyed too. In the end she removed it from the bed and later the med company collected the items. The trouble is I called LHIN for help for us as a couple and the upshot is, we still don't have any help. So I still have to lug out the garbage, the recycling and the laundry amongst other things. I could pay our cleaner for more hours but quite frankly can't afford it. Of course after all this I felt guilty because I know he can't really help what happens, but I am no saint unfortunately. Even the OT looked mad.

I managed to cook the peppers and we ended up having them for supper plus I have 4 more in the freezer. Of course they were cooked in the Instant Pot. So easy.

Watched the GOAT Jeopardy again and now I know who is going to win. Not the guy I was rooting for unfortunately.

I would never, in a million years, have considered baking potatoes in the Instant Pot, but here is a recipe for just that. For the crispy bacon, I would do it in the microwave. I put 3 slices of bacon between double layers of paper towel, zap for 3 minutes and get really, really crisp bacon.

Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes

Learn how to make the Ultimate Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes (Pressure Cooker Twice Baked
Potatoes)! These deluxe baked potatoes are loaded with creamy cheesy fluffy mashed potatoes & crispy bacon topped with melted cheese. A potato lover's delicious dream come true!

6 slices bacon , cut into crisp bits
4 russet potatoes (8.5” circumference) , poked, well-scrubbed & dried
Kosher salt & black pepper
½ cup (96g) grated smoked cheddar cheese
½ cup (96g) grated mozzarella cheese
2 stalks (14g) green onions , sliced
½ cup (125ml) sour cream , room temperature prefered
¼ cup (63ml) whole milk
¼ cup (56g) unsalted butter , room temperature prefered

1. Crisp Bacon: You can crisp bacon with Instant Pot’s Saute Mode, Oven, or "Air Fryer" function of Instant Pot Duo Crisp.

2. Option 1 - Duo Crisp Method - install the broiling tray on Air Fryer Basket. Layer 6 slices of bacon on the tray. Place 1 cup cold water and air fryer basket in Instant Pot Duo Crisp. Place the air fryer lid on Instant Pot. Press "Air Fry" button, set the temperature to 400°F and cooking time to 10 minutes.

3. Option 2 - Oven Method: Place bacon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place it on the middle rack of a preheated 400°F oven. Bake bacon until crispy and golden-brown. Set a timer for roughly 18 - 20 minutes.

4. Option 3 - Instant Pot Saute Method: Layer bacon slices in the inner pot. Press "Saute" button and adjust to "Saute Less". It takes roughly 10 - 12 minutes to crisp the bacon slices.

5. Place crisped bacon on a paper towel to absorb any excess fat, then cut them into bacon bits.

6. Preparation: While the bacon is crisping, prepare the remaining ingredients. Scrub potatoes under running water, and poke holes throughout the potatoes with a fork.

7. Pressure Cook Potatoes: Clean and dry Instant Pot's inner pot. Add 1 cup (250ml) cold water, and a trivet or air fryer basket in Instant Pot. Place 4 potatoes on the trivet.

8. Close lid, turn Venting Knob to Sealing position. Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 34 minutes + 10 minutes Natural Release. Open the lid carefully.

9. Cut Potatoes: Allow potatoes to cool to the touch. Use a paring knife to remove the top part of potatoes (see below photo). Use a small spoon to scoop out the inner flesh (leave about ¼ inch of potato flesh attached to the skin), then place them in a large mixing bowl.

10. Make Mashed Potato Filling: Add ¼ cup (56g) unsalted butter to the scooped potatoes, then mash with a potato masher. With a silicone spatula, mix in ½ cup (125ml) sour cream.

11. Pro Tip: Reserve about 2 tbsp cheese for later.

12. Mix in grated mozzarella cheese, grated smoked cheddar cheese, finely sliced green onions, and bacon bits. Pour in ¼ cup (63ml) whole milk, then mix everything up with a spatula.

13. Give it a taste and season with salt & black pepper (for reference, we added 2 - 2.5 pinches of salt).

14. With a spoon, fill the hollowed potato shells with the yummy loaded mashed potato. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top.

Twice Baked Potatoes:

Option 1 - Twice Bake with Duo Crisp: Place the stuffed potatoes back in Instant Pot. Place the air fryer lid on Instant Pot Duo Crisp. Press "Air Fry" button, set the temperature to 400°F and cooking time to 8 minutes.

Option 2 - Twice Bake with Oven: Place the stuffed potatoes on the top rack of the oven, then use the "Broil" function for a few minutes.Serve immediately & enjoy~

Source: Amy and Jacky

Have a great day
 

15 comments:

  1. Don't be hard on yourself. It's okay to lose your temper. You're human and it's a tiring and frustrating position you are in. But you're doing it. You're there day after day doing the right thing.

    Frozen foods are perfect in the air fryer, as is leftover pizza. They should add those instructions.

    I make twice baked potatoes in the air fryer sometimes. They don't fit in anyone's diet so I don't make them all that often, but they're delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just my temper Liz, I was kind of hysterical too.

      They should add those instructions and lots more. Time they caught up.

      In the air fryer, yes, but in the Instant Pot???

      Delete
    2. am from U..A.E I want to share a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. can contact him on his WhatApp number +2348140654426

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for you very bad, awful, no good day. And I would have lost my temper too.
    I do hope that you get at least some of the help you need. Caring is in itself a full time job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't seem as though I will get help Sue. It's really me that needs it because Matt can cope by himself for the personal things anyway.

      Delete
  3. I was telling my sister recently how nice it was that Charlie never had the 'terrible twos' or 'temper-tantrum fours'. All of my sons did and when I read your blog it reminds me of all the hard times as a parent of young children. Hard enough when I was in my 30's and sure I could not deal with it in my 70's. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, never had the experience with kids til now - seems like dealing with a young 'un sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Sorry he got upset and refused to use either item. I'm sure your patience is wearing thin and it's understandable you got upset as well.
    You need to get some pancake mix and borrow a waffle iron and have a real waffle. Eggo waffles are not nearly as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex.

      Don't know anyone who has a waffle iron, mind you, never asked around.

      Delete
    2. Jo, I never liked waffles until I had them in Brussels. Bought a waffle iron and then made them for dessert one year. Everyone loved them. Of course, I made Belgian waffles which are nothing like American waffles.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I've always heard that about Belgian Waffles Denise, I wonder if I ever ate them, I honestly don't remember doing so, but spent such a lot of time on the Belgian Coast, it is quite possible I did. It was kind of my stomping ground for a few years.

      Delete
  5. You can To convert oven instructions to air fryer by setting the temp to 25-50 degrees lower and cook for 25% less time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realise you can Jan, but I do think the manufacturers should catch up with modern times and give suitable instructions.

      Delete
  6. Ok do your best not to beat yourself up. This is normal...including the help you are supposed to get...they are so disorganized and you have to be persistent.

    ReplyDelete