Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Monday, Bowling, Car troubles, Shopping,

Another busy day. The morning I spent phoning, specifically my ISP because they charged me twice. They said they couldn't refund it, the bank said they couldn't stop payment an so on and so on. Also had to phone the bakery to ensure they had my favourite buns which I ran out of.  Plus the pharmacy about my pills then the cardiologist about the same pills. Then I had some lunch and Matt and I headed to the bowling alley. At least that was comparatively less frazzling and I bowled very well for me, 170, 154, 175 and my average went up 2 points. We had a new guy join our team as Matt isn't bowling at the moment. He was another limey from Somerset. Hadn't bowled in 30 years. Matt sat in the same chair and never moved the whole time and then complained about the chair. Told him he should have got up and moved around. Says he is not coming again much as he enjoyed watching me bowl well. Don't blame him, he looked bored to tears. One friend gives us Lindt truffles every week, we were given six, I got one. Matt scoffed the lot. Probably just as well, he can afford it.

When we  left, one of the members of our team helped Matt out to the car and noticed one of our front tires was pretty soft. He told me to go straight to the garage which was virtually next door. I did as he said, I wanted gas anyway. Whilst I was pumping gas he turned up and told me where the air was. Drove over there but turned out it was out of order. So decided I needed to go to another garage on the way home. I was a tad teed off because I had bought gas in the first garage but was going to our regular garage to use their air. They give points the same as the grocery store. Anyway, got there and couldn't see their air pump so went in to ask and requested help at the same time. A young man came out and first I had to pay $1.50 for the air (I thought air was free!!) then he did all our tires. The front one was very low on air, need to keep a particular eye on it. Too used to Matt keeping an eye on the tires anyway, not any more.

Then went to a local pharmacy for cough mixture, still need it but not as much, then next door to get my buns then finally got home. Phew. Getting to the door of the garage, a woman who's husband also had a walker, opened the door for us (keyed entry from garage to building) and I let them go ahead with the elevator as no way we could get three walkers in there. I was exhausted by the time we got home and was very glad I had supper ready.

I thought I would post a cartoon of me feeling harassed. All I could find was Sexual Harassment or Teenage Harassment. Oh well, I certainly felt harassed today, by circumstances rather than people.

Maybe I should stop reading cooking tips. Having heard how very good mussels are for one, full of the right kind of vitamins etc. I spotted a recipe I liked. However, I have also read that olive oil should never be used for frying but basically for flavouring. Whatever, I give you this recipe which I personally would follow to the T. I know I can buy mussels at Victoria St. Market but whether they are clean farmed or not, I will have to enquire. I wish I knew where Mandarin gets their mussels, they are huge and delicious.

Steamed Mussels with Tomato-and-Garlic Broth

Mussels have three things going for them: They're cheap, quick to cook, and delicious. Using clean
farmed mussels negates their one big drawback—the tedious chore of scrubbing and debearding.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
2 cups drained canned tomatoes in thick purée, chopped (from one 28-ounce can)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried red-pepper flakes
4 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
1/8 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
Salt, if needed
Garlic Toast (optional)

1. In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, tomatoes, thyme, and red-pepper flakes. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Discard any mussels that have broken shells or that don't clamp shut when tapped. Add the mussels to the pot. Cover; bring to a boil. Cook, shaking the pot occasionally, just until the mussels open, about 3 minutes. Remove the open mussels. Continue to boil, uncovering the pot as necessary to remove the mussels as soon as their shells open. Discard any that do not open.

3. Stir the black pepper into the broth. Taste the broth and, if needed, add salt. Ladle the broth over the mussels and serve with the garlic toast.

Servings: 4

Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day
 

11 comments:

  1. What a day. I hope you can relax, and wind down tonight.
    I hate loathe and despise those days where you are constantly on the phone. Simple matters become incredibly difficult.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I totally agree with you. This morning nothing planned, this afternoon the urologist.

      Delete
    2. am from U..A.E I want to share a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. can contact him on his WhatApp number +2348140654426

      Delete
  2. Sounds like rather too much going on and then there's Matt ... take care and enjoy the things you can, while keeping an eye on all else. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly was yesterday Hilary, I always wonder what people thing when Matt is just sitting in the car not doing anything.

      Delete
  3. Glad you bowled well. Wish Matt had moved around more. Or some!
    That's expensive air. I think the machines here are a quarter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely Alex, but he huuuurts. He wouldn't hurt so much if he moved regularly.

      I thought it was expensive. I remember when it was free.

      Delete
  4. I am exhausted just reading the blog, lol. Charge for air? I get mine at the local tire store for free and someone always does it for me.
    I can understand not using olive oil for high-heat frying because of the smoke point, but I always use it for sauteing at medium heat. Haven't had mussels in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Denise. So it should be free. Don't know of a store that does it round here.

      You have a point about olive oil Denise, hadn't thought of the smoke point. I have them every time at Mandarin, but might get some at Victoria St. Market.

      Delete
  5. I had not previously noticed the link to Mike Woodcock's art, Jo. Thanks for pointing it out. Great work and a great name for a wildlife artist. I have a substantial collection of the work of Barry Kent MacKay, a name I am sure Mike will recognize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good name isn't it David? I have a lot of his stuff hung around our living room. Glad you enjoyed it. As you say, Mike would know that name.

      Delete