Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Zinfandel Grapes, Elections.

zinfandel-wine-grapesOn the way back from bowling, we called in at the LCBO (liquor store) to get a bottle of Clos de Val Zinfandel which in fact they no longer have. I was talking to one of the staff who told me a brief history of the Zinfandel grape which is basically grown in California, but appears to have originated in Italy with the Primitivo grape. I then looked it up because I couldn’t remember everything he said, I now find that the story is much more complicated with possible grapes of Croatia origin mixed in with the history of this grape. We are very fond of a good red Zinfandel and in fact were recommended to buy a Cline product which we were totally unfamiliar with but the staff member praised it highly. If you are interested in the Zinfandel grape origins read http://tinyurl.com/5tblb4r They do make other wines from the Zinfandel grape, sweet wines, blush wines and so on, but Matt and I prefer our wines to be dry although we do enjoy the occasional sweet or iced wine with desserts.

Whilst in the LCBO we picked up the latest edition of Food and Drink in which there are some super recipes which I will get round to looking at more closely – at least two new asparagus recipes and a whole bunch of carrot cake recipes. This magazine might have been written for me. Of course I need carrot cake like a hole in the head but it is so delicious.

It seems Canada’s Government is in a political mess at the moment with a big scandal in the offing. This means that the rumoured election will almost certainly take place. Last time we had a federal Polling Stationelection Matt and I both worked at polling station, I think we will apply to do so again. I quite enjoyed my time there although I was quite tired by the time we got home. It’s a long day. I know we have to take lunch and supper, I am assuming we had breakfast before we went to the polling station. I think this time we will choose a couple of jobs that keep us in the same place, last time it seemed Matt would never come and pick me up and I tried to walk home. I made it, but only by taking a rest part way. These days I would never make it – not unless I get an operation on my arteries before that time.

I was looking for something a little different as a vegetable and came across this Kraft recipe. I personally would not use Miracle Whip but would probably use regular mayonnaise. You couldn’t serve this with too many things, but it is still different and a useful recipe for one’s repertoire. I mentioned this recipe to Matt and his reaction was yuk. I guess I will not be making it after all.

Carrot Salad

Kraft KitchensCarrot_Salad

What You Need

1/2 cup MIRACLE WHIP FREE Dressing

1 Tbsp. sugar

6 carrots, shredded (about 3 cups)

1 can  (8-1/4 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained

1/2 cup raisins

Make It

COMBINE ingredients.

REFRIGERATE 1 hour.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Reviving Limp Carrots

Restore most of the crispness to slightly limp carrots by soaking them in ice water for 30 min

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment