Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hats, Prices, Babies for TV.

This morning on GMA they were talking about HatsCatherine Middleton’s hats and showing some which she has worn in the past. One thing which I picked up, they said “the British love their hats”, I wouldn’t have thought that was particularly true these days although when I was younger hats were definitely “in” but I am under the impression that for the average person nowadays, hats are not an item at all. I know I used to loveWedding Day hats, especially for weddings, but I haven’t worn a hat in years. This is me when Matt and I got married. We had a civil wedding. I did the big white wedding bit the first time I got married. Funny actually, this is two hats which I happened to pick up together in the store, I liked the look of the two together, sewed a rose on them and hey presto, my wedding hat. You can’t tell in this picture, but the dress was a lilac/pink shade.  Of course some of the things Catherine Middleton wears can’t really be called hats, I heard the expression headwear used which is much more accurate.

Things are in a right mess in the Middle East aren’t they? What particularly concerns me is the expected rise in prices. Gasoline prices have already risen considerably which means that food prices will follow. I bet we don’t get any pension increases to compensate. Matt and I have already been contemplating downsizing as we live in a 3 bedroom apartment and basically the third bedroom is seldom used so it seems a bit pointless to be paying for it. Admittedly it does contain my treadmill but we would have to find room for it elsewhere in a smaller apartment. If prices do rise sky high, our contemplation may change to a firm commitment.

There was another segment on GMA about teen pregnancy and girls who were getting pregnant just so they could be on a reality TV show. I find that incredible, incredibly stupid too. What a dreadful reason for having a baby. Can you imagine those kids in later life discovering their mothers didn’t particularly want them, just wanted to be on TV. Not to mention the ruination of the teen‘s life, or perhaps the life of a parent or grandparent who get stuck with the job of raising the child. I personally believe when you are a senior it is a time when you should be relaxing and enjoying life, not starting to bring up a new family.

Kraft are sending out regular diabetes emails and the most recent contained recommended breakfast dishes. Here is one of them although Toad-in-the-Hole is actually a very different dish which has been made by the British for years using sausages and batter.

Cheesy Toad-in-the-Hole

Kraft Kitchens

makes 1 servingCheesy-Toad-in-the-Hole-47018

What You Need

1 slice whole wheat bread

1 egg

1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

1 Tbsp. KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Cheddar Cheese

1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives

Make It

HEAT nonstick skillet on medium heat. Meanwhile, cut hole in center of bread slice, using 1-1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Discard removed bread circle or reserve for another use.

PLACE bread in skillet. Break egg into hole; sprinkle with pepper. Cook on medium heat 2 min.; turn bread and egg with spatula.

TOP with cheese; cover. Cook 2 min. or until egg is set and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chives.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Special Extra

Season with hot pepper sauce to taste.

Substitute

Substitute sliced green onions for the chopped chives.

Note

If you don't have a round 1-1/2-inch cookie cutter, you can use the top of clean drinking glass instead to cut the hole in the bread.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Prices are shooting up here already,Jo. I think more than the uprisings in North Africa are to blame here, but it is convenient for our governments to blame others.

    Jo, you look stunning on that wedding pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci du compliment, Marilyn. It was, after all, a few years ago.

    Gas prices have certainly shot up here, but I am not sure about other things yet. Mind you, we still don't pay as much as you Europeans do for gasoline so I shouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete