Monday, March 28, 2011

Dinner, Ebony and Ivory, Baby Bikinis, Croc Hunter's Daughter.

I’m still a dying duck in a thunderstorm, my bronchial cough went into a cold and I still have the cough. I hope you all feel suitably sorry for me with this crud. I actually think I must have caught it from Sia (see link on this page) she has had the crud and I think she passed it on through cyberspace.

Bobotie_and_RiceSunday was cooking for friends coming to dinner. We had shrimp cocktail, Bobotie with Yellow Rice and Melk Tert. If you are interested in the recipes, I posted two Bobotie recipes together with pictures in my blogs of 2009, 1/16, 1/19 and 3/14. Much to my embarrassment, the guests who came last night were the same as when I first made this dish. I usually try not to serve people the same thing. However, they assured me they enjoyed a second time.

A story on the news, a couple gave birth to twins, one black, one white. Ebony and Ivory as is said in the article. http://tinyurl.com/4dnstel It is pretty rare and to me, quite incredible. Apparently people have been somewhat unkind, and others fire questions at the parents because they cannot believe the children are twins.

A lot of fuss taking place in the States at the moment about the push up bikini tops made for 8 yr. olds. They are marketed by Abercrombie and Fitch and the tops are padded. Not having a young kid, I haven’t got much of an opinion, but ever since it was first mentioned on Saturday GMA they have had thousands of messages either on their web site or on Facebook criticising these bikinis.

Also introduced this morning was Bindi Irwin, daughter of Steve Irwin the ‘Crocodile Hunter’. She is following in her father’s footsteps and working for conservation. She has two books recently published which are designed for kids, Trouble at the Zoo and Rescue. Her mom was with her and she was cuddling a baby kangaroo which was apparently very hungry as she fed it a whole bottle of food. A very poised and confident young lady, she has a line of plastic toys and a TV show in Australia I understand. She makes a lot of adult personalities look bad, she didn’t um or er once.

Whilst looking for these stories I came across this somewhat different recipe for breakfast.

Healthy Breakfast Sandwiches

From the kitchen of Emeril Lagasse

Servings: 4healthy_breakfast_sandwiches_

Are you looking for a delicious and healthy way to start your day? Try this egg sandwich from Emeril.

Ingredients
  • 4 ounces feta cheese
  • 1 ½ tablespoons chopped chives
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • 6 egg whites
  • 3 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4-1/4 inch thick slices tomato
  • 2 whole wheat English muffins, cut in half and lightly toasted
  • 1 cup baby arugula
  • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • Cooking Directions

    In a small bowl combine the feta cheese with 1 tablespoon of chopped chives and the chopped basil and set aside.

    Combine the eggs, milk, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium size mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.

    Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium size sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add the sliced tomato and cook for 1 minute per side. Remove the tomato from the pan to a plate and set aside. Using a paper towel, wipe out the pan.

    Return the sauté pan to medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the eggs to the pan. Allow the eggs to set for 30 seconds, then begin stirring slowly with a heat resistant rubber spatula. As soon as curds begin to form, increase heat to high and instead of stirring, use the spatula to fold the eggs over themselves. Fold in the feta cheese and herb mixture to the eggs and cook for another 45 seconds, or until just warmed through.

    In a small bowl combine the arugula with the remaining salt and pepper and the toss with the olive oil and vinegar.

    Toast the English muffins and place a quarter of the arugula on each muffin half, then top each with one slice of tomato. Divide the eggs between the English muffins and garnish with the remaining chopped chives.

    Serve immediately.

    Have a great day

    Jo

    3 comments:

    1. I'm innocent, I tell ya. Innocent.

      Ah, Jo. I'm sorry you're feeling bad, sweetie. It's a nasty bit of business. Take care, your energy levels are going to take some time to recharge. I'm still trying to get my strength back. Blech.

      I hadn't heard about the twins. They're so pretty and healthy. Hard to imagine the comments the parents get. People are so silly and hurtful at times.

      Feel better soon, my friend.

      ReplyDelete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete