Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Skit, Tangled, Fish Anyone, Asparagus

This is a link to a funny comedy skit from the UK. A friend posted this on Facebook yesterday and I thought it would amuse you. http://tinyurl.com/69ty4fs

I am beginning to feel a lot better, I am pleased to report, hopefully I will stay that way. Sia swears it isn’t her fault I caught this bug. At least I got a fairly decent sleep last night without coughing my way right through it nor being condemned to lie virtually upright propped up by pillows.

Being a big kid, I watched Tangled on my laptop last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a Disney version of the story of Rapunzel and her long hair. I must admit I don’t remember much of the original story other than the phrase “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair”. Having rented it I decided to buy it. I have now got a DVD I have wanted to see for a while, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, I may end up buying that one as well if I enjoy it.

I am sure you have all seen the news about the Japanese reactor problem and the radiation of the local seas. What this will do to the sea life I dread to imagine. I imagine the Japanese will be very careful when eating sashimi. Considering they are so used to earthquakes, albeit not of this magnitude, I would have thought they would have taken more precautions when building a nuclear facility.

Many of the ezines, magazines, etc. I receive, are now publishing asparagus recipes, copy cats, that’s my bag in the spring LOL. However, Tim Barrie said, on Facebook, the other day, he was guessing 35 sleeps and asparagus would be available. Yippee. I am totally out of soup so will have to make a batch or two before the season ends.

If fresh asparagus is already available where you are, here is one of the recipes I have received. Panko is now regularly available at most supermarkets. This is what Eating Well has to say about asparagus: “We get so excited about fresh, tender spring asparagus that we devoted an entire feature to it in the current issue of EatingWell! Packed with nutrition, asparagus is high in folic acid and a good source of potassium, fiber and vitamins A, B6 and C— plus it might help keep your brain young. And its buttery flavor and succulent aroma make it a culinary treat. Snap up a bunch and make one of these fresh spring recipes starring asparagus tonight.”

Panko-Crusted Asparagus Spears

From EatingWell: March/April 2011

Warm from the oven, these crunchy asparagus spears make a tasty side dish or cocktail nibble. Before being coated in panko breadcrumbs they are rolled in a flavorful sesame-miso sauce that doubles as a simple dipping sauce.

4 servings Panko Encrusted Asparagus

Ingredients

  • Cooking spray, preferably canola oil
  • 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
  • 2 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons white miso (see Notes)
  • 1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed
  • 3/4 cup Japanese-style panko (see Notes)
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil; coat with cooking spray.
  2. Combine mayonnaise, scallions, miso, chile-garlic sauce and oil in a small bowl.
  3. Place asparagus in a shallow dish and toss with half the miso mixture (about 1/4 cup), making sure the asparagus is well coated.
  4. Combine panko and sesame seeds in another shallow dish. Working with one spear at a time, roll in the panko mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a bit of room between each spear. Coat the prepared spears with cooking spray.
  5. Roast the asparagus until the coating is browned and crispy and the asparagus is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with the remaining miso mixture as a dipping sauce.
Nutrition

Per serving : 150 Calories; 7 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 5 mg Cholesterol; 19 g Carbohydrates; 4 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 516 mg Sodium; 190 mg Potassium

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat

Tips & Notes
  • Notes: Miso is fermented soybean paste made by inoculating a mixture of soybeans, salt and grains (usually barley or rice) with koji, a beneficial mold. Miso is undeniably salty, so a little goes a long way. White or sweet miso (Shiromiso), made with soy and rice, is yellow and milder in flavor; use for soup, salad dressings and sauces for fish or chicken. Look for it near tofu at well-stocked supermarkets.
  • Although we typically use whole-wheat panko-style breadcrumbs, for this recipe we recommend using white, Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs for the best texture and flavor. Look for them in the Asian-food section of most supermarkets or near other breadcrumbs.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment