Thursday, November 4, 2010

Geologic Journey, Anniversary, Aging and Trikes

Tonight is another episode of Geologic Journey II which I mentioned last week. I do hope you will be watching it, I think it’s a great programme and am only sorry we missed the first part, hopefully it will be on again although you can see episodes on line. It is presented on CBC in the series The Nature of Things by David Suzuki.

champagneI was delighted to receive an invitation to some friends’ 50th wedding anniversary celebration. That will be the second one this year. In these days of divorces, it is wonderful to come across couples who have made it through. Matt and I made it to 38, therefore it would be another 12 years for us to get to 50. Mind you, I have written before about how so many people are living longer these days that I guess there is every likelihood we could hang around that long. I think I am a doddery old codger now …….

Actually talking of aging, I see people who are probably the same age as us or even younger, and looking at them I consider them old people. Then you see others whom I know are a lot older and who are still spry and young thinking which I think is half the battle. Think young, stay young. It was one of the first things that hit me when we arrived in North America that people in their 70s and 80s were still running around doing things which, at that time, similar age groups in England had given up on. One couple I remember were driving around on a motor bike and camping in a tent and they were certainly in their 70s.

Talking of motorbikes I was sent an email with a Vet Trikeseries of pictures of a Vet Trike (Vet over here means veteran, not veterinarian) quite an incredible paint job and its on display at a car show. You can see all of the pictures at http://tinyurl.com/29pbla7 Do enlarge this one, it is really worth a look.

I always like soups and particularly bean soups, so when I saw this one in my Inbox it instantly appealed.

Mediterranean Chick Pea Stew

Courtesy of : Nadia G.

Yield : 2

Ingredients

1 head of garlic, unpeeledMediterranean_Chick_Pea_Stew_001

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt

3 scallions, thinly sliced

1 sweet red bell pepper, julienned

1 red finger hot chili pepper, seeds removed, minced

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1 can whole, peeled, organic san marzano tomatoes, hand crushed (796mL)

pinch of brown sugar

2 cups chick peas

Zest of half a lemon

handful of fresh parsley, minced

5 large mint leaves, stacked, rolled up and sliced into ribbons (chiffonade)

toasted whole wheat pita, cut into wedges

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
  2. Slice the top off of the head of garlic; lay it on some aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil and black pepper. Seal aluminum foil over garlic and roast for 40 minutes.
  3. In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers and scallions into the pan, stir and coat with salt, paprika and cumin. Pour in the hand-crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Peel 4 cloves of roasted garlic and crush with a fork. Add garlic, chick peas, lemon zest, mint and parsley to the stew then stir until heated through.
  5. Ladle stew into big bowls and serve with toasted whole-wheat pita wedges.

Have a great day

Jo

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking this morning that I ought to cook a large pot of soup to last several days. And yes, I agree, it is wonderful to see a couple staying together for 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I cook large pots of soup, I usually serve some and freeze some so I have soups ready all year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, mmm, good. I've been in the mood for a good soup of late. I love chick peas. I'm telling you, Jo, my recipe box is sure expanding since I started reading your blog.

    Aww, it's good to see some still celebrating 50 years. Dan and I've made it to 34. We're talking mountains, valleys, and everything in between.

    My mom and her husband are 73 and still *tooling* around either in the pickup or their car. Pop was a professional driver and owned a big company for years before retiring 5 years ago.

    Have a good weekend, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're enjoying it Sia. I have posted another soup today also containing chickpeas. Hope you like that one too.

    Lovely to hear about your mom and her husband travelling around I think its great.

    From your pic, you really remind me of Beverly Sills.

    ReplyDelete