Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fog and Fire.

Woke up to a bright clear morning, the last couple of days we have had thick fog. Reminded me of being back in the UK – not that fog is exclusive to England, but these we have just experienced were almost pea soupers. I remember driving through thick yellow fog (smog) in my 20’s and having to sit half on the passenger seat in order to see the side of the road. Before my driving days, they used to have windshields which could be raised in order to see better. I also remember fog at sea which is very difficult, even if everyone uses fog horns, it doesn’t necessarily help as the fog distorts the direction of the sound, the only thing you really know is that there is something else out there. Someone has to stand outside on the deck, cold and dripping and peering into the fog to try and see if there is anything in the way. Best thing really is to anchor if you can, but even that isn’t always safe and you still need to sound the horn. Another very dangerous thing at sea is fire, such as the fire in the engine Pamararoom of the cruise ship the other day. You can’t call for fire fighters to come and help you. We once had a fire on my father’s boat – a wooden boat mind you – but luckily it was brought under control without causing too much damage. Very scary thing to happen though.

After raving about the Millennium series by Stieg Larsson, I am having a little trouble getting into the latest book. I am sure it will improve, but right now…..

Did I mention I have a sore arm!!!

One of my favourite fish is Arctic Char, I don’t think I had ever eaten it before we came to Canada. I think it is wonderful fish. There used to be a restaurant in the next town, Cambridge, where one of the owners smoked both Salmon and Arctic Char. I tried his smoked Arctic Char and thought it was better than the smoked Salmon which I love. Unfortunately the restaurant is now closed and I have no idea where the owner lives and whether he still smokes his own fish. However, yesterday I got a recipe from my local seafood store which is for Arctic Char, so I thought I would share it with you. If you can get hold of Arctic Char I highly recommend it.

Easy Baked Arctic Char with Roasted Garlic

T & J Seafood

Ingredients:

2 Arctic Char fillets (about 1 pound each)Arctic Char

2 medium-sied bulbs garlic

1/4 cup rapeseed or canola oil

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Leaves from 3 large sprigs fresh rosemary

Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Slice off top of the garlic bulbs, wrap in foil and roast for 1 hour. Set aside and allow bulbs to cool. Squeeze the roasted garlic from the bulbs into a food processor, and add the oil, lemon juice and rosemary. Process until mixture is smooth.
  3. Raise the oven temperature to 400°F.
  4. Place the char fillets on well-oiled, foil-covered baking sheet. Salt and pepper the fillets. Spread puree over the char fillets, making sure all the flesh is well covered. Let fish marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  5. Bake the Char fillets for 12 to 15 minutes, until the meat flakes easily and has a somewhat darker appearance on the inside.
  6. Broil for another 2 minutes to brown the tops of the Char fillets.

Have a great weekend

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Arctic Char,which I've never heard of, looks just like fresh salmon to me.

    Jo, I had a problem with Larsson's first book too - ... Dragon Tatoo ... but I was forced to stick it out and finish it because no one would tell me what had happened to the missing girl. Two friends would only say to me that there was an Australian connection.

    I've read somewhere that Hollywood is now going to remake the Swedish film of the book. I did not see the Swedish film, not even when it ran on our tv because I did not like the actors.

    I hope your arm is no longer sore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like salmon, but the taste isn't the same and I think I like it better.

    I didn't have much problem with the first book, but with this third book I took a while to get into it. There is so much going on that I need to put it down and let things sink in a bit or something. A friend in SSA saw the Swedish films and enjoyed them, I would be put off by sub titles, so if Holly wood are remaking them, so much the better.

    Yes, thanks, my arm is much better, still a little sore but not so much.

    ReplyDelete