Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Figs, Covid 19, Bowling, Car Wash,

I forgot to mention that I had tried out the recipe for Figs stuffed with Goat Cheese which I posted. I thought they were delicious, Matt said he wasn't impressed.

You know, I cannot get through to Matt about the corona virus, he no longer remembers what a virus is anyway. ladydog and hubby are cancelling their trip next month. They were sailing to Europe. Cruise ships are good incubators I think. I was wondering what they were going to do. I just read that there is one guy in quarantine in our town?? Today we are having lunch at the Chinese Restaurant again, with friends, do we hug them as usual, or hold back. Actually, before I went bowling Monday, I received a call from a woman who is on my team. Turns out she and her partner have decided to avoid public places. That is maybe a bit extreme round here. As the owner of the alley said to me, so long as nobody coughs in your face etc. you won't have a problem. Mind you, he does have an axe to grind.

Talking of bowling, I bowled better today thank goodness and much to my surprise, as there were only two of us, we actually won 2 of the three games. I don't want to boast too much as Liz Seckman's comment the other day said we can make Luck jealous LOL. 

After bowling I decided to go get the car washed and it didn't spray the underside for some reason. I phoned (didn't want to stop then) and they said I could have a free wash. With all the snow we have had, salt on the roads, etc. etc. the underside always needs a good wash. Maybe I will go back after lunch today.

I always carry a couple of shopping bags in my purse, they fold up into small pockets, but one of them fell apart the other day, so I sent for some more. Ended up with 6 of them for $15. Not a bad deal. They are so useful. They come in an assortment of colours and it's the luck of the draw which ones you get. Last time I gave most of them away, I won't do that this time. Just in case.

By the way, changed the ringtone on my phone. Now I have Beethoven's Ode to Joy.

I posted this recipe a couple of  years ago, never yet made it, about time I did.

Brazilian Shrimp Soup

This Brazilian Shrimp Soup is an incredibly delicious tomato creamy soup with shrimp, coconut milk
and seasoned to perfection. Perfect for any occasion!

2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped (I used a red one)
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup rice long-grain
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
28 oz crushed tomatoes (1 large can)
4 cups water
1 cup coconut milk unsweetened
1 lb medium shrimp shelled and cut in 1 inch pieces
1/4 tsp black pepper ground
3 Tbs lemon juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup parsley fresh, chopped, for garnish

1. In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over low heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and cook stirring occasionally until the onion and pepper are soft. About 5 minutes.

2. Add the rice, red pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes and water to the pot and bring a boil. Cook until the rice is almost done, about 10 minutes.

3. Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is just done, 3 to 5 minutes.

4. Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and parsley

Servings: 8

Author: Joanna Cismaru
Source: Jo Cooks

Have a great day
 

22 comments:

  1. PS: Although, what I find uncool is the people who say if they get it, they're still going to go out and that they themselves will beat the virus. And I think, you dookbag, how about think of the other people who might not have strong immune systems. How about, not spreading it around you dookturd. Or how about that dad that took his daughter to the dance. Why? The older sister already had it from her Italy trip. And the family was asked to stay in. But no, mister no brains in his head, decides to take his other daughter to a dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't read about that Ivy, but yes, what an idiot and how very thoughtless.

      Delete
    2. I happen to see it on a news story online and I was like, what wanker. Thoughtless, good word too.

      Delete
  2. Well done on your shopping bags - they do sound useful. The figs did and do sound delicious ... poor you coping with Matt ... not easy at all. Sad about Ladydog cancelling their trip - but I've never wanted to go on a cruise ... now I think I know why. Take care and enjoy any bowling you can get - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are useful Hilary. I have been on one regular cruise and another short one. Loved both. Not now though of course.

      Delete
  3. There are NO confirmed cases in my city. There is also no toilet paper. The stores promise that extra stock is on the way, and have set limits, but things will become a tad desperate here in a few days.
    Yay for your bowling success.
    I have a few of those collapsible bags with me at all times too. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's something Sue. Not to close to you yet. People really are stupid buying up all the toilet paper, etc. I'd send some if I could LOL.

      They are useful and I carry a couple all the time.

      Delete
  4. Virus etiquette is a challenge. We were out at lunch last week and there were those who kept their distance - my preference I confess - but the oldies, those over eighty and most at risk, still hugged which was a worry on several levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I come under the oldies Helen. However, our two friends we are meeting at lunch are in the same bracket.

      Delete
  5. For healthy people, just keeping a little distance and washing hands is enough. However, smart of your friend to cancel her cruise. They are little petri dishes for disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm told Alex but being in my 80's I am ostensibly vulnerable. Dunno about little petri dishes, more like giant incubators.

      Delete
  6. We met friends last evening for dinner at Golf's in Waterloo and we hugged just as we always do and fourteen of us will be heading to Algonquin Provincial Park for the weekend. We have to be prudent about this virus but live our lives too. If I wash my hands any more frequently I think I will develop amphibious webs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't been to Golf's for a while David. Did you know they have an elevator? We found out last time, it's a service elevator which they use for customers who can't cope with those stairs.

      I know what you mean about washing your hands. Matt won't wash his nearly enough. He just doesn't understand.

      Delete
  7. Cruise ships are good incubators for just about anything. My friends came back really sick from Alaska last year. I am not panicking, but I am avoiding eating out. You never know what is going on in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they are Denise. Thanks for putting that into my head when I am going out to lunch!!!

      Delete
    2. I've heard horror stories from our fire inspectors. If I was in a restaurant and I saw our Fire or Police eating there, I figured the kitchen was clean and so were the employees. When we had a local paper, they would list the restaurants with health violations.

      Delete
    3. Here they are pretty strict with inspections Denise. Places have been closed down. Not sure if they put violations in the local paper.

      Delete