Friday, March 13, 2020

Sewing, TV,

According to Liz Seckman, I should stay in and do my sewing because of my age group and this damned virus. Well, I was in all day Thursday and I did some of my sewing. Matt needs a new zip on a pair of shorts - no way I am going to tackle that. Felt quite good at the sewing I did though. Only trouble is, I have a needle threader which I can hardly see anyway, let along putting thread in the needle itself. I was sewing black pants with black thread and couldn't see much of anything at all. Maybe the light isn't good enough where I was sitting. Should go do my sewing in daylight perhaps.

Bit teed off tonight, watching a couple of programmes I enjoy and our local PBS station was having a drive which made the programmes finish half an hour late. I still had my Spanish to do and this blog to finish. Before I came in here, I did Matt's pills for tomorrow and couldn't find one of them. Took me forever to do so. Why does it all happen at once I wonder.

Oops, Friday 13th!!!

This recipe appealed to me especially as Kevin Lynch spoke about the levels of umami in the flavours. I have added a line about cooking this recipe in the Instant Pot (of course). Not sure, but might have to add a little more liquid - I won't know until I have done it. Of course, one can cook the noodles in the IP too.

Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff

A homestyle comfort food pot roast take on beef stroganoff using slowly braised, fall apart tender,
beef which is smothered in a super tasty, umami packed mushroom, onion, paprika and sour cream sauce!

1 Tbs oil
1 1/2 lbs Ontario Corn Fed stewing beef such as chuck, round, brisket, cut into 2 inch pieces
salt, pepper and paprika to taste
1 onion, diced or sliced
8 oz mushrooms, quartered or sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry thyme)
2 tsp paprika*
2 Tbs flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)
1 cup beef broth
1 Tbs dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp fish sauce (or soy sauce or tamari)
2 tsp dried dill (optional)*
1/3 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the beef (seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika) and cook until lightly browned, about 7-10 minutes per side, before setting aside.

2. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids, the liquids have cooked off and the mushroom start to caramelize and turn light golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

3. Add the garlic, thyme and paprika, sprinkle on the flour and cook until fragrant, about a minute.

4. Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan into the sauce with a wooden spoon.

5. Add the beef, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, and dill and either bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is fall apart in your mouth tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours. Or cook in an Instant Pot for 15 minutes and Natural Release the pressure for 10 minutes.

6. Remove from heat, mix in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper.

7. Slow Cooker: Optionally skip steps 1-4 and just place everything in the slow cooker (except the sour cream) and cook as directed, for a quicker version.

8. Option: Start by cooking 4 strips bacon cut into 1 inch pieces and use the bacon grease to cook the steak and veggies in instead of oil and butter adding the bacon back into the sauce near the end!

9. Option: I like smoked hot paprika for this but your favourite type of paprika will work!

10. Option: I like dried dill in this but it is a none standard ingredient so feel free to omit it.

11. Option: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes with the garlic for a bit of heat.

12. Option: Add small onions in addition to the diced onion for even more onion flavour!

13. Option: Instead of the fish sauce use 1-2 tablespoons white miso paste.

14. Option: Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste to the sauce.

15. Option: Add 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese) for an even more flavourful sauce!

Servings: 6

Source: Kevin Lynch, Closet Cooking

Have a great day

6 comments:

  1. While I still ate meat I made a stroganoff one night. Himself views mushrooms as poison. He burnt his dinner, and filched some of my sauce to have with it (and ate every drop). And wonders why I laugh at him when he says he doesn't eat mushrooms. I hear you on the difficulties of threading needles. I really struggle these days - even with a needle threader. And black is a beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny about mushrooms, ladydog's hubby is the same I believe. They get some funny ideas into their heads Sue. Yes, this getting old business is a b**ch

      Delete
  2. Things really do sometimes seem to happen all at once. Having a bad day is not just an expression, it happens sometimes. I had a great day by contrast and the Pad Thai for dinner was perfect. Bought my bean sprouts at T & T as planned, Jo - 45 cents for just what I needed for the recipe. Have a much better day today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. You forgot to tell me what time you would be serving the Pad Thai LOL. Where's T & T?

      Delete
  3. The stroganoff looks delicious. Makes me wish I had picked up that roast I saw in the market yesterday.
    Our local PBS station changed their programming this month and it truly sucks. They've been begging for money every month and it makes me wonder if the change in our tax laws which made it difficult to get tax credits for donations has impacted giving. I kept the same donation, but if I find nothing to watch, I'll stop donating too.
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, will have to get myself a roast. Maybe that's what it is. I forget the one I watch is actually from Buffalo not a Canadian Station.

      Will try, you too.

      Delete