Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Shopping, VHS, Hearing, Scam,

I am annoyed. I now cannot get my shopping on the day I want it. I guess they are so busy, all the pick up slots are filled two days ahead. As ladydog said, "I don't think the computer at PC Express knows about customer loyalty." It annoys the hell out of me though. Of course I don't know how many of the items will be short either. Matt luckily has enough luncheon meat to last him, but only just. Several things have just about run out ready for my normal shop when my cleaner is here to bring it upstairs and this is on a Wednesday, not a Thursday.

Going through our VHS tapes, last night we watched Victor Borge's 80th birthday celebration. He was absolutely brilliant that man. Haven't watched his programmes on our tapes for a while. Sadly he died 20 years ago but as he was 91 I guess he wouldn't have been performing anyway. Then we watched the beginning of a three tenors concert, Pavarotti, Domingo, Carreras, but it was Matt's bedtime so saved the rest for Tuesday. Matt goes to bed at 10 on the dot. I then do Spanish and write my blog. Although I wrote most of it earlier today. We finished watching the tenors and then watched a bit of Alice in Wonderland. Matt was, of course, bored stiff so was glad to go to bed LOL.

We finally got information on the rent increase hearing from the landlords. We have until the end of April to submit our opinions. I phoned one of the other tenants who gave me a copy of what she had written. I composed a letter based on what she had said, but for now I must cogitate. They are holding a "Written Hearing". Amazing, isn't it, they have been unable to have this hearing since the initial request of the landlord in 2018 and now they can finally hold the hearing but have to do it in writing. Fingers crossed please that they are not awarded what they are asking for. I have paid them the recommended guidelines each year but they are asking for quite a big percentage more. Can't remember the actual percentage now, 4.5 or something and I am paying them around 2.2 %. They apparently spent in the millions to do our balconies a few years ago, but isn't that part of what I am paying rent for? Maintenance.

Then I got another letter in the mail saying I had been selected for them to lend me $3,500. Why on earth? Of course I contacted them straight away!! If I needed that kind of money I have a credit account at the bank, thank you very much. I wonder what interest they would charge? Maybe I should have called them?  In case you hadn't realised, I am joking. Trouble is there are a lot of people who would fall for this kind of thing.

I thought this looked like a nice easy, quick recipe so long as you can get the chicken thighs. Mind you I don't carry penne either. If I do buy some penne, I will, of course, cook it in the Instant Pot. Not necessarily any quicker, but it can put it in the Pot and forget about it whilst I am getting on with the rest of the recipe.

Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Chicken Penne

Creamy, cheesy, chicken pasta—what’s not to love? This cozy 25-minute meal from The Food Gays
is sure to become your new go-to this Fall.

2 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 tsp neutral flavored oil (such as vegetable oil)
1 cup sliced white onion
2 cups diced portobello mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup heavy cream
4-5  boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
grated Parmesan to serve

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Once they’ve become caramelized, add the mushrooms and cook another 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the pan, and set aside.

3. In the same pan, add the chicken thighs. (If needed, add another drizzle of oil.) Cook for 7-10 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.

4. Return onion and mushroom mixture to the skillet. Add heavy cream, and stir well, scraping all the bits from the bottom the pan. Simmer on medium-low for 2-3 minutes, or until cream has reduced slightly. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed. Slice the chicken into large pieces.

5. Add the cooked, drained pasta to the sauce, along with the sliced chicken and parsley. Toss well, and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Author: The Food Gays
Source: MYRECIPES

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I have a grocery order set for Friday. And I got that on Sunday. It was the earliest date I could get. I'm expecting them to be out of at least half of all I ordered. Then I ended up going to the store today anyhow because I needed Vitamin D. I read that D helps boost your immunity to the virus. Chicken thighs and drumsticks was all the chicken they had left, so I bought some drumsticks. Too bad I didn't grab the thighs.

    I hadn't been using the grocery store pick up so elderly patrons could have them, but now they've set aside shopping hours for elderly only. That makes me feel less guilty to online shop. I do so hate to grocery shop anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Liz, people are still panic buying I think. You should have got the chicken thighs too. I take Vitamin D so here's hoping.

      I have heard the early morning hour for the elderly is packed.

      Delete
  2. Aaaaargh.
    As if life wasn't hard enough without extra complications. I do hope they don't get the increase they want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo - I'm sure the Victor Borges programme was really good and fun ... that's good that Matt has regular hours and can keep to them. Good luck with the food set up ... the penne dish looks good. Also the rent - hope it all works itself out ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Hilary, I had kind of forgotten I taped it years ago. This whole grocery thing is becoming a pain in the rear end. Thanks, I hope it does too.

      Delete
  4. I learned to enjoy chicken thighs only after I started getting them in Blue Apron recipes. They do have a lot more flavor than breasts proving that'fat is flavor'. My kids have ordered me not to go to the store and to order my food for pick-up. Luckily I am set for at least another month. We'll see what happens then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bossy kids eh Denise? Like bossy friends. I have always liked the dark meat on poultry.

      Delete
  5. Here they recommend staying two weeks ahead with the groceries. Can't do that with a lot of vegetables, but most everything else is doable.
    You can submit your opinion on the rent increase? Like they really don't know what all of you already think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess I am with most things Alex, but living in an apartment doesn't leave you a lot of storage space.

      Well we are submitting it to the Rent Tribunal, not the landlords. I have no doubt they are aware, but if they actually get reasoned arguments from us, so much the better. Trouble is I am not sure how many will respond.

      Delete
  6. I have never had groceries delivered so I am perhaps not able to relate well to the problems associated with it from time to time, no doubt exacerbated by COVID-19. I went to Zehr's yesterday and was in and out of the store quickly with everything I went for, and tomorrow I will tackle what we need from Costco. Today we went to Long Point and had a glorious day out. Highway 401 was almost empty in places, there were few people there when we arrived, the birding was terrific and the temperature climbed to 12.5 degrees. I might get to like this situation!! Stay well, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, you make me so envious. I never had any problems with PC Express groceries (they don't deliver) prior to everyone and his mother deciding to use the service because of the virus. Nice for you to go birding. Not for me stuck in the apartment.

      Delete
    2. Not only are you stuck in the apartment, Jo, I suspect that dealing with Matt has its challenges too.

      Delete
    3. Definitely, and getting help has proved to be something of a bust as well.

      Delete
  7. Probably lots of scams out these days and people desperate for money will fall for it! I hope your rent doesn't get increased; how do they think people can accommodate such a big amount of increase? Especially during these times.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when they originally applied for the increase Betty, nobody had heard of Covid-19, it was over a year ago.

      Delete