Saturday, March 28, 2020

Lazy Day, Covid Emails, Proofing, Cell Phone Alert, Supper,

Boring kind of day one of many I am likely to have at the moment. Always reading about people wearing their jammies when they haven't anywhere to go, etc. Thought I would try it today although I felt a bit awkward not being dressed in my normal daytime clothes. Mind you I was wearing a robe,  not jammies. Haven't worn them since I was a kid.

I am getting a mite fed up with all the emails I am getting about Covid 19. All of them quite genuine. All of them offering me helpful information which I no longer need. I do now know, thanks ladydog, how to make disinfectant wipes but other than that, leave me alone please.

I just started proofing a second book by Susan Gourley Kelley - continuing the dragon story. These are not good dragons exactly but I don't think they are going to be really bad dragons - I hope.

Other than that little bit of information I did bugger all today.

Forgot, we got a government warning on our cell phones today (radio let us know it was going to happen) saying if we had been abroad we should quarantine for 14 days. I haven't been anywhere, but I knew that. What interested me, is how the hell they did that. Is there some kind of registry for cell phone number and what about those people who don't have cell phones. There are certainly people in this building who don't have them. Actually, one woman I know, a Limey like me, her sister was over visiting, they went on a week's cruise an then were in quarantine for 14 days. Yesterday, her sister was allowed to fly back to the UK and apparently when she arrived she was not asked any questions, her temperature wasn't take or anything. If that is an example of their security, no wonder their Prince and their PM have got the virus.

So, I decided to do a favourite shrimp dish today, I had every ingredient for the Thai Shrimp until I went to the fridge and found I had about a tablespoon of That Curry paste. Discovered I can add regular curry powder. So later, I put the paste in the pan to sauté for a few minutes when I got a phone call. I then forgot the curry paste. It became a nasty black colour!! I saved a little bit of it and used curry powder for the rest. Not as good but still, it was still good. Matt had a hissy fit and decided not to eat supper. Mind you he ate a whole chocolate bunny this afternoon and probably some squares of chocolate too, didn't see. He is definitely eating more chocolate now. When I saw he had devoured the bunny, I was not best pleased.

Wash day tomorrow. Such a fun life I lead these days. Yes, I know, everyone is in isolation, but not everyone has an Alzheimer patient to live with.

Thought these looked pretty good. I would probably cook them in the Instant Pot with the addition of liquid - possibly V8 - at the bottom of the pot.

Bolognese Stuffed Bell Peppers

This Bolognese filling is spicy, meaty, and creamy. If you're in a hurry you can serve it over pasta
instead of filling the peppers; just omit the rice or orzo

1/2 cup cooked rice
2 Tbs olive oil, divided
1/8 cup minced carrots
1/8 cup celery
6 bell peppers (any color) stems and seeds removed, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 lb pancetta or lightly smoked bacon, diced
1 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the carrots and celery; cook and stir until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

3. Stir in ground beef and pancetta, and cook until browned and crumbled; drain off any excess liquid, and return to heat. Add marinara sauce, wine, and red pepper flakes, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream, half of the Parmesan cheese, and rice. Simmer 5 minutes more, or until most liquid has absorbed.

4. Place peppers in a shallow baking dish, and fill with beef mixture. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.

5. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve hot.

Servings: 6

 Author: KASM75
Source: Allrecipes

Author Notes
Orzo pasta makes a nice substitute for the rice.

If you don't have leftover rice, bring 1/2 cup rice and 3/4 cup water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Let rice stand for 5 minutes; fluff with fork. You'll have a little extra rice.


Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. You most definitely do have a double burden. As so many carers do. Do you get any respite or time for yourself at all under quarantine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at the moment Sue. Gotta get back to the LHIN (Local Health Integration Network) they should help but they too are very busy and short staffed without the virus to worry about.

      Delete
  2. Had the grand-kids yesterday. Charlie threw a hissy fit and said he wanted to go to Nana's house. He came in his P.J.s cause it was pajama day at school - his school is doing online teaching.
    Sounds like we were both dealing with children, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely Denise. I guess young kids don't understand what's going on anyway. Older kids don't either unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. I am sure that living with Matt is a huge challenge, Jo. Those of us who have not been through it cannot appreciate the full scope of the difficulties involved. I am so grateful that I can still get outside. Miriam and I walked at Columbia Lake yesterday, and it was glorious. At the very worst we can go out into our backyard and talk to the neighbours over the fence. The kids are sweet. They bounce up and down on their trampoline and at the point where they clear the height of the fence they holler things to us! And so far they have all been polite!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This quarantine doesn't mean much to you David, you're lucky. Sounds delightful.

      Delete
  4. That's hard going for you Jo - I hope you get some respite soon. Have you ever tried having a chat online with someone? I've been playing wtih Zoom for my choir and with some friends - it's not too hard and we're meeting up to have a coffee and just chat ... I'll do a blog about it tomorrow in case it helps anyone. Thinking of you both. Fil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, but I a not the only pebble on the beach Fil, maybe the biggest complainer!!

      Yes, I chat to all kinds of people and there are a small group of us who went to a course at the Alzheimer Soc. and meet up now and then but, right now, because of isolation, we don't meet at the moment.

      Delete