Thursday, March 5, 2020

Spam. Errands and Phone Calls, Zoey, Stuffed Peppers,

I am a little tired of Spam. I used to like it out of a can, but not out of the Internet. Actually, talking of canned Spam I actually saw a recipe for it the other day in a kind of sushi arrangement. I was somewhat surprised. You notice I didn't share it with you either. I would probably still like it, but it is not the healthiest of processed, canned, meats even if I do like the taste. So, I'm sorry, but have had to go back to moderating the comments again.

Wednesday turned out to be another busy morning. First of all I had coffee with an Alzheimer friend where we discussed our spouses for an hour, then I went to Walmart to cancel the stupid coffee pot that it took them so long to deliver. They really messed up there, took them a whole week, took Amazon less than a day. Thought it was a bit daft, but they got the box from the back and then had to open it. To verify it they said. Still, what do I care so long as my money appears back on my credit card. Talking of which, my card won't tap or work in a gas pump any more so, having dropped in at the liquor store (going there rather a lot these days) I went to the bank and told them about my card. Eventually they said I had to phone the number on the back - I had done that and been referred to the branch. Finally went back home but knew, by then, that I couldn't have my lunch and make it to exercises. Pity, but lunch is important to me. I finally got through to the credit card branch and then they had to speak to Matt who is the primary card holder. They asked the questions and I prompted him with the answers. Stupid but....Having sorted that all out I realised they should have a copy of the power of attorney. So phoned them back, they say they haven't, my bank is supposed to have forwarded them a copy. This was a year or two back and I'm damned sure the bank did so. Anyway I phoned my bank, and for the third time got the "more than usual phone calls, sorry for the delay, your call is important to us" blurb. Every call I had made to the various branches today I had received that message and had to hang on. Why don't they do a call back like some other businesses?

I simply have to get on with our taxes too. Just don't seem to have the energy somehow. I think I have all the paperwork I need. Yaaaaawn. Not much happening tomorrow so hopefully....

I watched an absolutely fascinating programme called Whale Detective where a couple were out in a kayak (I think) and a humpback whale breached and landed on top of them. They were, luckily, able to survive but the guy spent a long time researching which whale had jumped on them. He eventually identified it. That in itself is incredible. I have always wanted to whale watch, but not that closely.  If you get a chance, do watch the programme.

I understand Matt's favourite dog, Zoey, went to the groomers today and is all proud of herself. We will see her on Friday. Look forward to it.

We had stuffed peppers tonight which I previous cooked in the Instant Pot, once again so easy, and froze. Delicious. Have two more.

I thought this looked pretty good

Caramel Chicken

Vietnamese-style caramel chicken on skillet with sticky, sweet, savory, and mildly spicy caramel
sauce. This chicken is so good with steamed rice.

1 lb chicken thighs with skin, deboned
2 Tbs oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno, sliced
Marinade:
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs fish sauce
black pepper
Caramel Sauce:
1 Tbs fish sauce
3 Tbs water
1/2 Tbs sugar
3 tsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar

1. Marinate the chicken with the Marinade ingredients for 10 minutes. Mix all the ingredients in the Caramel Sauce in a bowl, set aside.

2. Heat up a skillet (cast-iron preferred) on medium to high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Pan-fry the chicken (skin side up) until the bottom turns slightly crispy and brown. Repeat the same for the skin, until the skin becomes slightly charred. Transfer the chicken out.

3. Add the remaining oil into the skillet and add the garlic. Add the chicken into the pan and follow by the Caramel Sauce mixture.

4. Lower the heat to simmer and continue to cook until the caramel sauce reduces and becomes amber in color. Make sure you turn the chicken a couple of times during cooking.

5. Add jalapeno and continue to cook for about 1 minute. Dish out and serve immediately with steamed rice.

Servings: 4


Author: Bee
Source: Rasa Malaysia

Have a great day

8 comments:

  1. Whale watching is definitely on my wish list.
    I am so over that 'your call is important to us' malarkey. If it was they would put on enough staff to handle it.
    Sigh on the spambots too.
    Grump, grump, grump.
    I hope tomorrow is much better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure about whale watching Sue, after seeing the humpback land on a pair of watchers. They were very lucky not to be hurt. Recently there was another guy caught in the mouth of a whale when it breached. He wasn't hurt either, but...

      Yes,it was a grump, grump business. Nothing much to do today except taxes I guess.

      Delete
  2. Interesting you mention Spam sushi, Jo. I read somewhere that on Okinawa, having being been introduced to Spam during the American occupation of the island, Spam sushi has become a local favourite. Not what I think of when I think of sushi, but there it is. Cultural fusion I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting David. It was a World War II staple along with canned corned beef. I must admit I used to like it very much. I wonder where it originated, I always thought the UK, but maybe I was wrong.

      Delete
  3. Having to go around and around with the banks sounds very frustrating.
    The whale landed on them? No way I'd be in a small boat around whales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating is the word Alex and I still haven't got hold of my bank about the Power of Attorney. Grump.

      Nor me, I would love to see whales, but not that close.

      Delete
  4. Stop reminding me to do my taxes, lol. What a chore. I need to be 'in the mood'.
    Time to get a new bank? One with customer service, not lip service?
    I saw that whale program awhile ago. I've been whale watching and never thought about them coming up and landing on the boat but was concerned about them going under it.
    Enjoy your spam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reminding me too Denise although mine are not very complicated. US tax forms are totally beyond me.

      Yes, I would be concerned about them underneath too, they are so big.

      Delete