Friday, March 6, 2020

Earworm, Taxes, Instant Pot,

Many years ago, in England,, this song was sung by a couple called Flanders and Swann - I haven't heard it since I left the UK in '75 and maybe not for a while before that, so how on earth did it come to me as an earworm when I woke up this morning? Of course I googled it. You might all like to have an earworm, why should I be the only one to suffer?



This morning I had nothing particular to do so I decided to get on with our taxes - so, all done. I also reconciled bank statements/accounts. Took me all morning but now they are out of the way. Matt gets money back, he does every year because he pays extra on his pensions. I didn't get anything back, but didn't have to pay anything either.

Hopefully, today ladydog and Zoey will make it for a visit. Matt does so enjoy the dog's visit. ladydog's too of course. Apparently Zoey went to the groomers this week so is looking pretty.

I couldn't think what to cook for supper tonight and I pulled out a recipe I had had from very early on in my Instant Pot days. I didn't have any defrosted ground beef, but the beauty of this recipe, you can use frozen. It is basically a dump and go recipe and although the frozen meat comes out a bit more like meatballs when you break it up, it is, nevertheless, delicious. Not only that, you dump everything in - I forgot you have to chop an onion - seal it up and walk away. In half an hour you have a super delicious chili which took little or no effort on your part. I love my Instant Pot.

Easy Instant Pot Chili

This Instant Pot chili is amazing! Just dump all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and have this
mouthwatering chili for dinner 25 minutes later! EASIEST CHILI EVER!

1 lb ground beef or turkey
2 cans (15 oz each) black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ Tbs chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
½ cup water

1. Put all ingredients except water in the Instant Pot. Mix with a spoon until the meat is broken up and all ingredients are combined.

2. With a spoon, make a well in the middle of the meat mixture so the bottom of the pot is exposed, and pour ½ cup of water there.

3. Close the Instant Pot and turn the valve to a Sealing position.

4. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 20 minutes on High pressure.

5. When the Instant Pot is done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release (QR) the remaining steam.

 Notes

 If using frozen ground meat, dump all ingredients in the Instant Pot and skip the step of mixing them (since you can't mix a frozen solid block of meat). Add 5 minutes to the cooking time. After the chili is cooked, break up the meat into small chunks and mix everything together.

Author/Source: MelanieCooks.com

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Well done on getting your taxes out the way.
    My father often used to recite Mud, muc, glorious mud there is nothing quite like it for cooling the blood. It was a part of my childhood - thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm patting myself on the back Sue.

      Trouble is it is still stuck in my head.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha that song is so funny .... Earworms are a real pain aren't they , but fun at the same time ...how our brains work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything Flanders and Swann sang was funny. I looked up a video of them actually singing this, Looong time ago Fil.

      Odd isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I remember Flanders and Swann. They were wonderfully humorous and in days past were featured often on CBC radio. When I was still working I was on the road quite a bit and my car radio was permanently set to CBC FM - the classical music station, and I even carried a list of the local frequencies in different parts of the province so that I could always get it. Remember Bib Kerr? He was quite fabulous, and every day wished me a "very fond good afternoon!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice t o have a radio station you like on in the car David. I do that with Jewel 92 these days.

      No, don't know Bib Kerr, must have been fully Canadian. I'm surprised you know Fladers and Swann.

      Delete
    2. That should have read Bob Kerr, Jo, not Bib Kerr. He was as Canadian as maple syrup and almost as delightful. All the music he played was from his own collection which encompassed two rooms and a hallway. He loved pipe organ music, and so do I, and Thursdays were always dedicated to it. He was a stickler for informative liner notes and correct use of language. It was a great show.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like it David. I still have never heard of him I'm afraid. We didn't get here til '75 so that may be why.

      Delete
  4. I made chili in my slow cooker last weekend. It's a recipe that calls for cooking in the oven, but I figured why do that when I can accomplish the same thing in a slow cooker. Made some cornbread too.
    I did not listen to your earworm, but I do remember that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet mine took less effort than yours Denise. But I do agree, why use the oven when you can use a slow cooker. Haven't had cornbread in a while. I learned to make it in NC, made it a lot and got sick of it, I ate so much.

      Surprised you know the song. Sorry you didn't listen.

      Delete
  5. Not owing on taxes is always a good thing.
    Might have to get my wife an Insta Pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get disability credit Alex which does help.

      Certainly you must get her one. Only two of you a 3 quart would be big enough.

      Delete
  6. I never thought about sticking the burger in frozen. I'm going to try that! I plan to make spaghetti tonight and forgot the thaw the beef. Now, I have a plan.

    I have a busy weekend ahead- maybe next weekend I'll get to my taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure the meat is not at the bottom as frozen it can stick to the pot. Lots of juice underneath Liz.

      Well, I guess t hat's an excuse for putting them off but April 15 is coming up fast.

      Delete
  7. I'd forgotten the mud song. I should share it with my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jo - love the hippo song ... I've used it a few times on the blog ... just always makes me laugh. I have a Flanders and Swann CD here too ... their lyrics and music are just amazing. Well done on your taxes ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete