Thursday, February 25, 2016

Laundry, Bowling, The Homeless Ones.

I don't believe this. I went to the laundry room this morning (Wednesday) to find it shut. I phoned the super and was informed it would be shut all day for them (the machine owners) to check the machines. There are at least 3 of us on my floor who need to use the laundry machines to help with coping with our bug problem. The pest control people will be here on Friday and we can't do any more today. How ridiculous. Luckily most of what I need to do is done although I still have piles of stuff on our balcony which hasn't had anything done to it at all. Actually this morning I was just going to wash our towels, not a buggy thing at all, but that's not the point. Inconceivable!! Mind you I was planning to bring some of the stuff off the balcony to wash. Won't get done before the bug man comes now.

We took a break to go bowling again on Thursday. Matt had two good games and one lousy but he did make 100 every time.  I had one poor game, one lousy and one not so bad. Oh well. Tomorrow we have to amuse ourselves for the full day so will probably go to Victoria Bowl as our usual alley isn't open on Fridays. Did think of taking in a movie but there is really nothing that would appeal to Matt who doesn't much like going to the movies anyway. I am hoping to go to the Red Lobster for supper again. Chocolate Wave maybe? I deserve a treat. Not sure where we will go for lunch though. Getting expensive this bug business. Matt is being pessimistic and saying he doesn't think this visit on Friday from the pest control will fix the problem. I do hope he is wrong.

I doubt I will be a recipe for Saturday as I will not be home all day plus when we do get home we have to make beds etc.


Pork Chops in Sage Butter with Beet Puree and Swiss Chard



SERVINGS: 4



The vibrant magenta beet puree that accompanies these luscious pork chops is made with almost
equal parts beets and creamy Yukon Gold potatoes.



INGREDIENTS
2 large red beets (1 pound), halved
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (1/2 pound)
1 stick unsalted butter
Kosher salt
Pepper
Four 12-ounce bone-in pork rib chops, cut 1 inch thick
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 sage sprig
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 pounds Swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves chopped


HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
In a large saucepan, combine the beets and potatoes. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the beets and potatoes are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Drain well. When cool enough to handle, peel the beets and potatoes, and then coarsely chop; transfer to a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet. Rub the pork chops all over with 2 tablespoons of the olive 
oil; season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat until golden brown on the bottom, 7 to 8 minutes.Turn the chops and add the garlic, sage and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Cook until the chops are golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 135°, about 7 minutes longer. Transfer the pork chops to plates and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the butter into the skillet; season with salt. Strain the sage butter through a fine sieve over the pork chops. Reserve the crispy sage leaves and discard the garlic.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chard in large handfuls; let each batch wilt slightly before adding more. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all of the chard is wilted, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 

Serve the pork chops with the beet puree and Swiss 
chard and garnish with the crispy sage leaves.

MAKE AHEAD

The beet puree can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving.
Have a great day

20 comments:

  1. They are doing everything they can to thwart you in the conquest of the bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope tomorrow is the end of the bug issue. How many units have been affected besides yours and 'patient zero' across the hall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically they aren't telling JoJo. I know of two others apart from the close neighbour. One right above him and one next to him. What is worrying, they brought the sniffer dogs in and they pronounced a neighbours place all clear but two hours later she found the little perishers!!!

      Delete
  3. Those bugs will be everywhere! Dogs can't sniff these things out so I think that is a smoke screen. I hope all gets worked out. I wish you could just move it I know that is too difficult becuase of first and last plus all the hook up fees, moving costs never. Mind all the hassle. I would be diving into that cake:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can smell them I believe Birgit. They give off an odour. Not that I can smell it but I guess the dogs can. Not enough to move out, would have to buy new furniture as well. I would be diving into it first.

      Delete
  4. Really? They've closed the laundry just when it's most needed? Because when you have a bedbug infestation you make it as hard as possible to ensure that it is dealt with, I suppose, instead of doing everything you can to help. Idiots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for the one day Helen and I think it was also one floor at a time. Still a damned nuisance though.

      Delete
  5. I think I would indulge with Red Lobster and the cake. When I had tough days in the past during the kids terrible teens,I had a mindset "whatever it takes me to get through the day" and often that included lots of chocolate.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more hurdle. Gosh that's harsh. I hope things clear up soon. I'm sure it affecting your scores too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think you are right Yolanda. We'll see

      Delete
  7. Hi Jo - that sounds plain stupid, selfish and such a pain ... good luck. Let's hope today will put paid to them critters ... and enjoy a good meal somewhere - perhaps even two good meals ... take care - the Pork dish does look tasty - I love sage .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably wasn't the fault of the building but the machine owners Hilary. I do hope it will be all over today but Matt is being thoroughly pessimistic about it. Well it will be lunch and dinner out.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jo. Sorry I missed your posts this week. We were in transit making our big move. By the way, I've shut down my blog. But... I will be starting a new blog soon. I will let you know! Good luck with the bugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Pinky. I figured you were in the business of moving right now. Sorry you've shut down your blog. Look forward to a new one. Let me know if your email changes too please.

      Hope we will have good luck. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  9. I tried the pork chops with sage butter element of your recipe and it was absolutely delicious. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you enjoyed it PL. Haven't tried it yet, so many recipes, so little time LOL

      Delete
  10. Hey Jo. Sorry to hear about the bugs. I had sent you an email awhile back to check in with you, but I might have ended up in the spam folder. Anyway, I'll be back again soon to play catch-up on your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, didn't get the email I'm afraid Ivy. My recent blogs have all been very bug ridden.

      Delete