Saturday, February 13, 2016

Saturday Recipe

We had one bag of shrimp left which we had imported from the Carolinas. Even though I am still feeling dead tired, it was the only thing which appealed to me. It occurred to me that my friends from the Really, Real, Housewives of America should try this. They could make up a big batch of the sauce and separate it into serving sizes. When required they could then defrost it and add some pre-peeled shrimp and cook some rice. Easy peasy. Me I had to start from scratch.

Shrimp Creole

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup celery
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tsp peanut oil
flour for thickening
ground black pepper
2 cup fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes drained
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chili powder (or Tabasco sauce) and/or fresh chillis
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup sherry
1 lb shrimp cleaned and deveined
Parmesan
cooked white rice, basmati for preference

1. Sauté onions, peppers, celery and garlic in hot oil until tender. Make a roux with a little flour. Add tomatoes, paste, sherry and seasoning. Simmer 45 minutes. Add shrimp and simmer for 10 mins. Just before service add Worcester sauce. Serve over rice and sprinkle with Parmesan.

Servings: 4

Have a great weekend
 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - love these sort of dishes ... easy to run up: but always tasting good. Hope you can have a peaceful weekend with some extra recovery time .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very easy Hilary and as you say they taste good. Got a lot of work to do putting our home back together again.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was thinking last night one could probably make this with chicken JoJo.

      Delete
  3. I think this friend at Really Real Housewives will definitely do that! Though I'm not a big fan of shrimp, all my guys are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one could always make it with chicken Liz. But I love shrimp personally. As I said, make a big batch of the sauce and freeze it in portions.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm. I love anything shrimp and that sounds special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Susan. I love seafood gumbos too with lots of shrimp.

      Delete
  5. Jo, now you're talking! I had a Cajun roommate back in the day and he's make this. It was really good and I miss the authentic Cajun dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny Stephen, I don't normally think of Cajun and Creole in the same breath, but I guess they are. As I just said, I also like to make gumbos when I can get all the seafood.

      Delete