Thursday, February 18, 2016

Bites, Pandas, Nuclear Test.

The bug problem still goes on. I was sitting in my lounger yesterday, reading, and didn`t notice until I decided to go to bed and then realised I was itching. The trouble is you don`t basically feel it when they bite.
I had understood they only bit exposed flesh, I was actually wearing a sweat shirt at the time this happened. So that`s that theory knocked on the head. These are not the only bites, but most noticeable. I sent a copy of this picture to the landlords. There has been a resounding silence. I checked on line and according to Amazon.ca I should get my new steamer tomorrow. I do hope so. I plan to wait for it even if we have to miss bowling. I hope not of course, but if we are not here, it will be returned to the post office and we won`t be able to get it til Monday. I forgot to mention too, my nuclear test has been postponed as I thought I should inform them about the bugs. I was not surprised to hear it being cancelled until further notice.

It`s been snowing here both yesterday and today (Wednesday) but not enough to cause any problems. The roads are a tad slippery in places but that`s about it.

There are two Giant Panda Cubs, born last October in Toronto Zoo, which are on film today  at this site. Cuteness overload.

They always look so cuddly don`t they. Polar Bears too. The 4 month old Panda cubs are walking around - just a tiny bit unsteadily. They are not yet on show to the public. These Pandas are the first ever to be born in Canada. It didn`t say so, but I imagine they will return to China one day along with their parents.

This is, basically, what we ate for supper on Wednesday evening. However, I had to make a few changes as I didn`t have all the ingredients. For the mirin I used sherry with a little sugar added, if you Google there are several things you can use as a sub for mirin. I also used fresh fettucine which worked very well. 5 minutes is nowhere long enough to soften the cabbage even though I added a little water and put a lid on it to steam. Finally, we found we needed a little salt despite the soy sauce. Apart from that, we thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure is easy enough to do.


Yaki udon

BBC Good Food

These thick wheat noodles with mushrooms and cabbage are made for slurping - a lovely
low-fat, low-calorie vegetarian supper

Serves 2

Ingredients

250g dried udon noodles (400g frozen or fresh)
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 onion, thickly sliced
¼ head white cabbage, roughly sliced
10 shiitake mushrooms
4 spring onions, finely sliced (green onions)

For the sauce
4 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp caster sugar (North American sugar is basically the same as caster sugar)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (or vegetarian alternative)


Boil some water in a large saucepan. Add 250ml cold water and the udon noodles. (As they are so thick, adding cold water helps them to cook a little bit slower so the middle cooks through). If using frozen or fresh noodles, cook for 2 mins or until al dente; dried will take longer, about 5-6 mins. Drain and leave in the colander.


Heat 1 tbsp of the oil, add the onion and cabbage and saut̩ for 5 mins until softened. Add the mushrooms and some spring onions, and saut̩ for 1 more min. Pour in the remaining sesame oil and the noodles. If using cold noodles, let them heat through before adding the ingredients for the sauce Рotherwise tip in straight away and keep stir-frying until sticky and piping hot. Sprinkle with the remaining spring onions.


Have a great day

21 comments:

  1. I would be freaking out if I had bites like that. OMG. They better do something to eradicate those bugs once and for all. You should not have to live like this. :( The recipe looks great though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am freaking out JoJo. They seem to have washed their hands of the problem which is why I have sent for a steamer. I agree, we should not have to live like this.

      It was great. Unusual and delicious.

      Delete
  2. Awful with the bite marks! I do hope the steamer does the trick for you; I agree, better to miss bowling and get it then to have to go through the weekend with potentially more bites.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Betty. Mind you, with my luck I will stay in and it won't arrive anyway. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to make those noodles for Cole and Conner. They love those. They get them at the Chinese restaurant, but I've never tried to make them myself.

    I hope your steamer gets there fast and works like a charm. I don't know why they should have to postpone the nuclear test. Is that safe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very good, even if I didn't follow the recipe completely Liz.

      I just found out on line that I need to co-ordinate with the pest control before I use it as I could stir up chemicals they may have used or neutralise them.

      I told them about the bed bugs at the lab and I don't think they wanted to know me after that. Can't blame them. Not sure I would want to know me either.

      Delete
  4. This is horrible! You should not be treated in such a manner and it makes me angry which such injustice is done. They should be responding right away. I Looked up the Landlord and Tenant Act and have copied it here for you to use if you wish.
    REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE:

    Q8: The landlord is refusing to make needed repairs in my apartment. How can I make the landlord carry out their maintenance obligations?

    A8: If the landlord does not make repairs on your verbal request, or has a history of not making repairs, put your request in writing, including the date of the letter, and keep a copy.

    If the landlord still hasn't done the repairs in a reasonable time, then call your city Building Inspector to make an appointment for them to come out and look at the problem. If the inspector won't come then ask to speak to their supervisor. Get a copy of the inspectors report to save for your records.

    If you are still having problems getting repairs done, you will want to contact the Investigation and Enforcement Unit, at 416-585-7214, or outside of the 416 calling area, toll free at 1-888-772-9277.

    If problems persists, then you may want to contact your lawyer or Community Legal Clinic, City Councillor, and maybe even apply for a rent reduction on the basis of lack of repair being a reduction of services in your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Birgit. However, they have now agreed to do one more treatment. They are still saying, or implying, that it's our fault. I will keep this section of the Act available just in case I need it. Thanks so much for copying it out.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely recipe. I love those noodles and often use them in stir fries. You poor thing with the bites, Jo. I'm scratching just looking at the photo. Stalk that mailman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good Pinky. Finished it up tonight. For us it was a bit much for one meal.

      The steamer came, then I looked up using it for bugs and discovered I needed to co-ordinate with the pest people because I could end up causing trouble with any pesticides they have used or even negating them completely. But I am not allowed to call them!!!!!!!

      Delete
  6. Lovely recipe Jo. As I get older I crave meals without meat. This looks like a beauty. Love those slurpy noodles.
    Hope you get your steamer and those bug bites are a thing of the past very soon.
    And a panda will always steal the limelight. Cuteness overload indeed.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't crave them, but I do enjoy them Denise. It was very good.

      Got the steamer, now I find out that I shouldn't use it unless I co-operate with the pest people.

      Delete
  7. If the extra treatment doesn't work maybe you should be calling the pest people no matter what the super - or they say - and keep on calling them every day until they do something useful. Might be useful to call the landlord, too - be a squeaky wheel as they say. Waving the copy of the act Birgit mentioned might help, too, although you might need to find out if it applies to bedbugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we aren't getting extra treatment until March Helen. But I do know what you mean about the squeaky wheel. Right now I it is nearly 6 in the morning and I have been up since 4 not having gone to bed til gone midnight. In the roughly 4 hours I have been well and truly chewed again. It is just so hopeless.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jo - I'd have thought you could get some compensation; all I can say is good luck - bed bugs are a nightmare .. and I've learnt enough here to know I don't want them. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought so too but don't think it's likely Hilary. They are a nightmare. As I have said, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

      Delete
  9. Sorry about your bug problem!

    I love the panda picture! Since you know I'm full of random panda information; we learned from the zoo in Atlanta that China still owns all of the pandas, even the ones born in other countries. The ones in Atlanta go back to China when they grow up to be bred there since they're too closely related to the others in the US to breed with them. I think most of the moms here are sisters. It's pretty interesting to read about the breeding and conservation programs and the steps they're taking toward responsibly breeding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle. I knew the Pandas went back to China, but I never knew why. Makes sense. It used to annoy me, but it doesn't any more.

      Delete
  10. I was reading about cabbage recently and the author said that if I cooked it less, I would get less gassy when I ate it. And she was right. Neato.

    I am caught up a bit on your blog, but will be back for more. Right now, I'm getting ready to close the lid on our coffins for the night.

    Tomorrow my goal is, rest, rest, and more rest. Ah ... heaven. Catch you again soon, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to overcook vegetables at all Ivy. Not sure about the gassy part. You surely are caught up you must have been very busy. thanks for catching up.

      Delete