Wednesday, February 3, 2016

IBS, Publishing Responsibility, Pest Control,

Around 40 years ago I was told I have a spastic colon. I remember my boss's wife, at the time, who was a nurse, saying she had never heard of that. Recently I started having similar pains so decided to look it up. Well I'm damned, it's the same as Irritable Bowel Syndrome with which I am very familiar. Step daughter #2 has it I believe and so does her daughter. Didn't realise that's what it was. I wish it hadn't recurred with me. Hasn't troubled me much in years. Funny, I have had access to the internet more or less since the first days it started, but it never occurred to me to research this before. I have just read a list of foods to avoid. Most of which I eat. Top on the list of vegetables is asparagus. Can you imagine me avoiding that?

I learned something from Good Morning America on Tuesday morning, when you post something on the internet, you are essentially a publisher whether it's writing a blog or even sharing something on Facebook, you are still actually being a publisher and therefore have to take responsibility for the item you share or what you say in anything you write. This was as a result of GMA's lawyer being asked about a case where a particular picture was shared on Facebook, but it applies across the board. I understand that about blogging, but I was surprised about sharing something on FB.

We were originally told that the Pest Control people would be back two weeks after they came, now
we hear they are coming on Thursday between 8:30 and 9. I'll have to get my skates on. I get up early but don't always dress until later. I wonder why they are coming so soon. I actually don't think we have got rid of all the little pests. I was bitten last night. This is getting very unfunny. The apartment looks a mess, all the switch plates are off in most of the rooms and most of our possessions are outside, many of which have to be washed and dried or just put through the dryer before we can safely put them where they belong. I know the guys had suits on and assume they had masks on.

For supper on Tuesday night, I decided to have poached salmon so I selected this very simple recipe. I altered it slightly. In the first part (which is a court bouillon) I added thinly sliced  carrots and finely chopped celery leaves. Gave it a good flavour.

Poached Salmon

Simply Recipes

Poach delicious salmon steaks or fillets in only 15 minutes! Salmon poached in white wine, seasoned with fresh dill.

Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes

Yield: Serves 2 to 4 or more, depending on the size of the fillet

INGREDIENTS 1 to 1½ pounds salmon fillets, pin bones removed
Salt
½ cup dry white wine (a good Sauvignon Blanc)
½ cup water
1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced or a few thin slices of onion
Several sprigs of fresh dill or sprinkle of dried dill
A sprig of fresh parsley Freshly ground black pepper
A few slices of fresh lemon to serve

METHOD 1 Sprinkle the salmon fillets with a little salt. Put the wine, water, dill, parsley and shallots or onions in a sauté pan, and bring to a simmer on medium heat. 2 Place salmon fillets, skin-side down on the pan. Cover. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet, or to desired done-ness. Do not overcook. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper and a slice or two of lemon.


Have a great day
 

28 comments:

  1. That bug issue is a real pain, sorry. Best of luck to you and your family with the colons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just Sheena-Kay. I am fed up with it. I've never had a lot of colon problems myself, but I think Matt's daughter and her daughter do.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the pest problem, what exactly are they going to treat? I love salmon and that recipe looks great and simple enough for even me to handle. :) I'd have a hard time giving up asparagus too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they have sprayed for adults, and eggs Elise. Doesn't seem to have achieved a heck of a lot though. The salmon was delicious. I am an asparagus freak, eat it every day in season, never had any problems at that time.

      Delete
  3. Spray for adults, spray for newly hatched eggs, spray again. Yuck! Hope you are pest free soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Denise. It is a pain to put it mildly.

      Delete
  4. The switchplates had to come off too? I thought they only did that for roaches. How horrible.

    When I lived in CA I was diagnosed w/ IBS too. In those days I was a vegetarian. When I moved to WA and began eating meat again, it went away and I haven't had any trouble since the mid to late 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is JoJo.

      Interesting about your IBS, I have always eaten meat and never really had a lot of problem although in the last year I guess I have had more problems.

      Delete
  5. That recipe looks delicious; son will sometimes barbecue fish and he'll put lemon and lime on the top and bottom of it; always comes out delicious.

    What a pain with the bugs; seems like the apartment complex is trying to work on it, but does seem like a lot of work for you all.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious and very simple to do Betty. Citrus goes well with fish.

      It is a lot of work. Not having family to help is a problem too when you are seniors as well.

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking the pest problem is adding to the stomach problem. I hope things (bugs) are cleared out soon. Horrid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking you're right Yolanda. I found an article about stress and IBS this morning, it can certainly make it worse.

      Delete
  7. I had a colonoscopy last year and they found diverticulosis, which is considered IBS.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I am hoping to avoid that. Not the op but the preparation. Ugh.

      Delete
  8. You avoiding asparagus? Never.
    I understood anything written online was considered published, but that's interesting photos fall in that category. Thought that has more to do with copyright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grin, I gather you know I like asparagus Alex.

      I didn't know about the publishing side before. Especially sharing photos on Facebook. You are not on there, but everyone does it all the time.

      Delete
  9. I wonder how many people have IBS who just put up with it. Sorry about the asparagus. How will you manage that. Hope you get rid of the little beasties soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably many people Susan, I didn't really know what it was until the other day. Don't be sorry for me, I will still be gobbling it greedily. Me too Susan, I am so fed up with it I can't describe it.

      Delete
  10. I wonder if the bugs would die in a microwave. If so you could put some non-metallic items in the microwave to save washing and drying. I used to put the kids' hats in the microwave to kill any possible head lice. I know what you mean about not getting dressed for a while after getting up. My long service leave is like an early retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably Pinky, not sure what I would put in there though. Would have to think about it. Yeah. but you are planning to go back to work, right?

      Delete
  11. I've had IBS for years. Ask your doctor about, Dicyclomine. I rarely, if ever, have any problems now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really Dixie until just lately. Could be all the stress at the moment. I will check about that med although I am on so many I am reluctant to take any more.

      Delete
  12. It's all the stress. I have IBS and stress always sets it off. I usually up my veggie intake and water and it helps. I cannot do dairy, unless it's cheese or cottage cheese. I thought this was odd, but my doc says cheese has some bacteria already in it. Yay me!

    I do have a friend whose IBS is veggie sensitive. Food journal helps here. I have a list of foods I avoid like the plague: ice cream, poptarts, and peanut butter captain crunch top the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course I didn't know I had it Liz. But I am damned sure the stress hasn't helped. I have been eating like a diabetic for a number of years now so that probably helps. I certainly won't be cutting out asparagus, never bothered me before. I eat milk and cheese, not in large quantities, but a reasonable amount. It's the old "everything in reason" again.

      Delete
  13. I have a different gastro-intestinal tract issue but it's treated with the IBS diet. Asparagus is definitely not on the banned list I was given - and just as well because I'm an asparagus fan too. Sugar, on the other hand, causes all sorts of problems so I've lived sugar free for the past thirty years. Just as well I don't have a sweet tooth because when I lapse - about once a year I get a craving for something sweeter than fruit - the consequences are not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I figure if I've had it unknowing for all these years and gorged myself on asparagus every spring, I am not going to stop now Helen. I haven't really had sugar for many long years but I do allow myself a small helping of chocolate every day.

      Delete
  14. My son just found out that he has IBS. He is only 15 and it is not a fun condition to have when you are in high school. And his acts up quite a bit. We are taking him for stress management courses because stress is what really causes him the most problems. I appreciate you sharing your story with.

    Adeline @ Pink Mantis ECO Pest Control

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby's granddaughter has had it since a very litle girl. not fun at all. I hope they can help your son with stress management Adeline. It is a very painful condition.

      Delete