Friday, February 19, 2016

Bowling, Red Lobster, Tsnunami,


We waited in for my new steam cleaner which came quite early and then went bowling. The first game Matt won hands down, but I am delighted to say I got a really good score on the second game and totally thrashed him on the last one. I was also showing around the picture of that Chocolate Wave cake I mentioned the other day. Everyone agreed it looked delicious but I am not sure anyone thought they should eat it because of all those calories - with one exception, the younger owner of the alley. He can get away with murder when it comes to eating - but then he is always on the move and, as his dad says, quite a bit younger than the rest of us.

Talking about the Red Lobster's Chocolate cake, a friend in the bowling alley said she had heard, on Facebook, that the Red Lobster was closing. I found something tonight which says the rumour is false. I wonder where these rumours come from? I am quite pleased it isn't closing. We don't go there a lot, but we lunch there twice a season with our Travel League.

Having got my steamer I checked on line about using it and find that if one has already been treated by professionals, one shouldn't use it without consulting them because of any chemicals they may have used which could become toxic if steamed or could be rendered ineffective, so I will have to wait to talk to them before I use it. I gather some of their people are coming to see us next Friday to see why their 2 visits didn't work. They all appear to think it's our fault. The fact that there are little visitors crawling under our front door.......! I am quite pleased with the steamer though, it has lots of nozzles and can be used for all kinds of cleaning jobs apart from the purpose for which I bought it. I meant to include this picture. I am now up since 4 a.m. having managed 4 hours sleep and another 4 or 5 bites. This is not an actual bug but a seed off my multigrain bread. However, this is more or less what bed bugs look like and approximately the right size. They are almost impossible to find.

I was just looking for a recipe for today's blog when I came across this piece of staggering information on How To Geek. The tallest recorded megatsunami in modern times hit Lituya Bay, Alaska in 1958; it destroyed vegetation up to 1,722 feet (525 meters) above the height of the bay and the wave that traveled across the bay was reported to have a crest on the order of 98 feet (30 meters) in height. I don't remember ever hearing about this, but how terrifying.

This to me, is a good old English dish. In this case it is all made easy for you by buying McCormick products. This is the kind of thing which, many years ago, we could buy in the fish and chip shops in the UK although not usually with beer in the batter, you had to do that at home. I confess the picture makes me feel quite hungry. Nope, I am not being paid to carry this recipe. Wish I was really. Help pay for all this bug stuff.

Beer Battered Cod

McCormick® Beer Batter Seafood Batter Mix, combined with the extra kick from OLD BAY, gives seafood a great taste and extremely crisp texture.



Makes 6 servings.

Ingredients

vegetable oil, for frying
1 cup McCormick® Beer Batter Seafood Batter Mix
1 tablespoon OLD BAY® Seasoning
2/3 cup beer or water
1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cut into serving-size pieces

Directions

Pour oil into deep fryer or large heavy skillet, filling no more than 1/3 full. Heat to 375°F on medium heat.

Mix Batter Mix and Old Bay in medium bowl. Add beer or water; stir until smooth. Dip fish into batter. Shake off excess.

Fry fish, a few pieces at a time, 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once to brown evenly. Drain on paper towels.

Cooking tip

Substitute pollock, halibut or tilapia for the cod. Prepare as directed above. Use peeled and deveined shrimp in place of the cod.

Have a great day

15 comments:

  1. I miss eating fish & chips. Every restaurant has changed to haddock though, and I have never liked haddock. But I'm not eating fish at all anymore ever since I read some stuff about how, despite candling, they can never fully eradicate worms from the meat, but not to worry because the worms turn clear during cooking and they don't harm you. No. Just no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have been eating fish for a very long time JoJo. Not only cooked fish but raw fish, as in sushi, which the Japanese have been eating since the beginning of time. I eat both and thoroughly enjoy both.

      Delete
  2. Battered fish! Yum! That tsunami sounds terrifying alright. Imagine seeing that coming for you. Makes me glad I'm moving to a mountain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum indeed. Doesn't it just. I cannot imagine the fear.

      Delete
  3. I'm allergic but that Cod looks so good!
    I hope the steamer works for you, it's the chemicals that bother me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are allergic Yolanda.

      The chemicals could be stirred up by the steamer, unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. I just looked up the earthquake and tsunami in Alaska. What a terrifying experience that must have been.
    Enjoy playing with your steamer. I find mine useful for a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Helen, one can't imagine it. Not sure I want to anyway. Dreadful.

      I want to use it but haven't done so yet.

      Delete
  5. Alaska really did get rocked by a major earthquake but I didn't know about the tsunami. I hope you get results with the steamer and the landlords but if they don't start doing something about it, I would raise a little hell because it is your health

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounded quite incredible to me I must say. Haven't done anythng with the steamer yet. Too busy doing all the extra washing and drying. I am not much of a hell raiser Birgit, but might well do so if things don't work this week.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the bugs .. glad the cleaner is good for other things too.

    I'd heard about the tsunami ... but I'd have thought the one I heard about was a few hundred years ago ... I saw a programme - can't find it now.

    Have an easier weekend ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Yes I am surprised how many things you can do with a steam cleaner. I didn't remember anything about the tsunami.

      I hope so thanks.

      Delete
  7. I was very surprised that nobody commented how small the bed bugs are. That picture above is definitely the right size ratio and the bugs do look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you used your bread for an example in size. Brilliant idea. Love the steamer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are that tiny Ivy. I had a seed on my finger one day and thought it was a bug.

      Delete