Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Bugs, Bowling, Cooking, Jeweller.

I am gradually becoming an expert on bed bugs. I now discover that the nymphs which are their offspring, are, for the first part of their lives, invisible to the human eye and even later on still not that visible. Wonderful. I wondered why we haven't seen too many dead bodies.

Went bowling on Monday, of course, and we both bowled appallingly. The only good part was that we improved in each game, but not much I'm afraid. I said it was because we were tired. Matt disagreed!!

Right now I can't cook anything with onions as I don't have any. Put them on our shopping list last week and Matt bought one!! What a nig nog. Not many dishes I make which don't include onions although the pasta I posted yesterday didn't do so. I have tomato sauce in the freezer so I guess I can make pasta tomorrow. We had unstuffed cabbage rolls on Monday night.

Had to go to the bank and the jeweller I go to for repairs and such is apparently retiring. That will be a big miss. I was very sorry to see it. He is a very nice guy.

This sounds a good one for supper this week.


Chicken, Cashew, and Red Pepper Stir-Fry

This chicken stir-fry dish balances salty, sweet, tangy, and spicy ingredients. Spoon it alongside a quick rice pilaf for the perfect meal.
  • 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients

  • 3 3/4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
  • 2 teaspoons dry sherry
  • 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
  • 3/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut lengthwise into thin strips
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped unsalted cashews
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 cups julienne-cut red bell pepper (about 1 large)
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions

Preparation

1. Combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and next 4 ingredients (through hot pepper sauce) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
2. Combine remaining 2 3/4 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and chicken in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cashews to pan; cook 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from pan.
4. Add oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan; place in a bowl. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds. Add chicken and cornstarch mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thick. Sprinkle with cashews and green onions.
Quick rice pilaf: Cook 1 (10-ounce) package frozen white rice (such as Birds Eye SteamFresh) according to package directions. Combine cooked rice, 2 tablespoons drained chopped water chestnuts, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.


Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - oh yes .. can't cook without onions! The stir fry sounds good ... bugs - yugh: gosh they are difficult to get rid of ... and bowling - well as you say it was a change ... all the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. You are right Hilary, very difficult to get rid of. We still enjoyed bowling.

      Delete
  2. I cook with lots of onions too! I put them in almost everything. So the baby bugs are invisible. *shudder* Have you noticed any improvement since you got the steamer or can you not use it still, b/c of the bug spray chemicals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to JoJo. I haven't used the steamer yet, but plan to do so today in certain places only though.

      Delete
  3. My mom always used an onion in what she cooked; I kind of got away from it with the kids, they liked some things with onion, other things without; now we are getting back into it. Who knows, the info you are collecting about bedbugs might help someone down the line.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother who was an expert cook, gourmet one would say, certainly used onion a lot.

      You are right Betty, I could probably write a treatise except it is already on the internet anyway if not all in one place.

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting some cooked cabbage. Maybe for lunch.

    Fighting an invisible foe is quite a tough task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me Liz. I have used my steamer on my lounger today and also on my silk flowers so, fingers crossed. I like cabbage.

      Delete
  5. Now that sounds like a tasty stir fry.
    One onion? We go through four to five pounds a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Alex. In his defense it was a very large onion. Probably at least 1 lb.

      Delete
  6. I use a lot of onions, too, and my husband, who does the food shopping for us, is always surprised that I want so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup can't live without onions Helen. Hubby is out food shopping right now so he'd better get me plenty this week.

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine only buying one onion! I think I go through close to a bag a week.

    The recipe looks really good. I'd have to substitute peanuts, though. I love cashews, but have developed an allergy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big onion Danielle. Hoping to do this on Saturday.

      Delete
  8. I like that saying...big nog. I will use that on my hubby:) How would he think one onion would do the trick..oh well. this stir fry sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nig nog Birgit. It was a very large onion, in his defense.

      Delete
  9. "Right now I can't cook anything with onions as I don't have any. Put them on our shopping list last week and Matt bought one!! What a nig nog."

    Hahahahaha. I loved this line so much, that I went into the other room and read it to Tim. Or, as I soon be referring to him as, a nig nog.

    Seriously, best line I've read all day. Really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been using that expression in England for years Ivy. Not sure of the origin. Glad it gave you a good laugh.

      Delete
    2. I say ding dong but I will now being say, nig nog. I love it. And not just that, the way you wrote that entire bit just all worked well.

      Delete