Friday, October 30, 2015

Sacrificed Animals, Restaurant, Bowling,


Wednesday night we watched an interesting programme on Nova about mummified animals. What really shook me is the millions of animals which were sacrificed over 500 years. They have found mummies in several places in Egypt. It wasn't just cats and dogs either, it was birds such as the Ibis too as well as crocodiles. The animals were purchased from the priests (they were on to a good thing) and you chose the animal which was associated with a particular god to whom you wished to appeal. The idea being the animal spirit would be able to keep reminding the god about your plea which, I forgot to mention, was written down to accompany the mummified animal. I couldn't get over the numbers though, in the millions. Of course some of them were beloved pets which were supposed to be company for you in the afterlife. There was also the sacrifice of the Apis bulls which were buried in the Serrapeum at Saqqara which were buried in huge sarcophagi which weighed up to 70 tonnes. Pretty interesting stuff we thought.

So Thursday, we went to New Hamburg for lunch and bowling. I must say I am not overly impressed with the restaurant food. Been there a few times. Later, at the alley, it was suggested we should try MeMes just across the road. It is supposed to have European food. Sounds good to me. New Hamburg is a nice little town and also the home of one of the best restaurants in the region, The Waterlot, although we haven't been for a year or two. We used to go there for Sunday brunch before we went to NC, but when we came back we went once and found their brunches not nearly as good. They offered good food, but no breakfast items like they used to have and in my book, to be brunch, there should definitely be breakfast foods too. Haven't been to dinner as we rarely go out in the evenings any more. Certainly would no longer travel that distance for dinner.

My bowling reflected that it was Thursday and was moderately good until the last game which was very good. I even bowled a Turkey today, don't often do that. (Three strikes in a row if you don't know). Why oh why can't I do that on a Monday for the league. Matt had 2 good games and one mediocre. Overall it was a fun afternoon. Next month we go to Elmira and eat at the Mennonite restaurant called The Crossroads. They have wonderful pies and I usually end up getting a mincemeat tart (or two) to save for Christmas. Yum. Elmira Bowling alley is another small lanes like the one in New Hamburg, but they make one very welcome and we always have fun there. I forgot to mention that the owner of the alley today has just had some major heart surgery and only been out of hospital 2 weeks so he wasn't around very much. I spoke to him briefly and he says is doing well (confirmed by the young man running the place for him) but to me he looked much thinner and very weak.

This recipe came from McCormick. I can't believe I am promoting a recipe with packet chocolate cake.



Creepy Crawly Spider Cupcakes

Turn innocent cupcakes into scary black spiders with black-tinted frosting, black string licorice and
other assorted candies.

                                 

Ingredients
Serves: Makes 24 (1 cupcake) servings.
Directions
  • Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding vanilla.
  • Bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
  • Tint frosting black with 1/2 teaspoon black food color. Frost cupcakes, mounding frosting in center of cupcake to create a dome shape. Sprinkle cupcakes with chocolate sprinkles. Cut string licorice into 2-inch lengths and use for the spider legs. Attach candy-coated pieces to flat side of chocolate chips with some frosting. Use for the eyes.

Cooking tip

Test Kitchen Tips: For easier measurement, 1/4 tsp. Food Color = 20 to 25 drops


Have a great day

18 comments:

  1. I agree, to be a brunch, I need breakfast items on the menu, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Ivy. They used to have all of it years ago.

      Delete
  2. So sad that so many animals were killed to be mummified.
    On a happier note - I love those Halloween cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amounts are actually incredible PL. Millions of animals. Unbelievable.

      They are cute aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Brunch is my favorite meal. I love breakfast and lunch foods way more than dinner. As for the cupcakes, not sure I would even want to eat them. Too creepy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say my favourite, but the one at the Waterlot used to be great Denise and they had a special champagne cocktail of the day too which made it even better. I don't know why they changed it. The food they serve is excellent, but the bacon and eggs as well as the kippers they used to have, has all disappeared.

      Delete
  4. The cupcakes are sooooo CUTE! And I love the purple bowling ball too. I am assuming the Elmira you refer to is in Canada? I ask because there's one in New York State but I think that'd be a bit far for you to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they JoJo. The only trouble with my bowling balls, there is another woman with exactly the same ones so when we bowl together it's a pain trying to pick the right ones. Yes, Elmira, Ontario and it's quite far enough without going to NY State.

      Delete
  5. I would have found that show interesting about the animal sacrifices too. It's been a while since my husband and I ate out anywhere except our favorite pub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting Susan. We don't eat out much except lunch at the Chinese restaurant now and again. No pubs to speak of here. They try, but not the same as an English pub.

      Delete
  6. Brunch is definitely not brunch without breakfast items. Hello? Breakfast/Lunch? :) With a Mimosa on the side... I love brunches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three strikes in a row - that's good!
    Such a waste of animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is for me Alex.

      Just as well it was a long time ago. There would be lots of protests today.

      Delete
  8. You must be too tense on Monday nights or something. Is there a way you can psych yourself into thinking you're at Thursday bowling so you're more relaxed? Congrats on the turkey :) That's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno Pinky, you could be right. Afternoons by the way. I was pleased with the turkey too.

      Delete
  9. I was watching this program but knowing how many animals were killed, I started to tear up! I know what the hay?? These animals died thousands of years ago. I love the bowling ball and am thinking of a Christmas ornament now as inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit late to tear up for them now I think Birgit. I have two balls of course, being 5 pin. Plus a similar coloured bag to carry both them and my shoes.

      Delete