Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Bowling, Books.

My bowling team is no longer on the bottom. Whoopee. We are second from the bottom but working our way up. I think it helped that one of our team with a 111 average got 180 today. We were all thrilled for her. Two of the others were getting good scores. Matt not so much and I had an average game, i.e. I got one more point over my average for three games. Bearable. This week we are bowling on Wednesday afternoon as Matt has a minor skin cancer op on Thursday morning. He might be OK to bowl anyway in which case we will probably do so. Wish we could afford to bowl 3 times a week anyway, but the cost does mount up.

I can't remember who recommended Robert Heinlein and his book Stranger in a Strange Land, but I
am about 2/3 through the book. What a fantastic story. I am loving it. He appears to have written a lot of books, can't believe I have never read his stuff before. It is so good I am considering buying it so I have a copy for
myself. On the other hand, I got it from the library once (and it was published in the 60's) so presume I will be able to get it again. I recommended it to a friend at the bowling alley today and she mentioned that she read a book many years ago called The Bell of the Four Evangelists and how she would like to get a copy. I haven't checked, but I am pretty sure I have it and a few other of these books by Violet Needham. They are not adult books, not sure if they would be classified as YA or younger, but I still love them after many years. Nope I don't although I do have four of these books. I highly recommend them.

This sounds like a wonderful twist on Tiramisu, one of my favourite desserts. Trouble is I don't like pumpkin pie so not sure whether I would like this. I do love marscapone though.



Pumpkin-Gingersnap Tiramisù

Pumpkin pie meets tiramisù, with layers of pumpkin-mascarpone custard and gingersnaps brushed with Calvados syrup. In the freezer, the flavors and textures meld to form a deliciously creamy dessert.
  • Servings: 12

Ingredients

  • 3 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (from 1 1/2 envelopes)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 quart whole milk
  • One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 pound mascarpone (2 cups)
  • 3 tablespoons Calvados or other apple brandy
  • 1 1/4 pounds gingersnaps, 1/4 pound finely crushed






Instructions

  1. In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk the yolks, cornstarch, salt and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar until the sugar is moistened. In a large saucepan, heat the milk just until steaming. Whisk 1 cup of the hot milk into the yolk mixture. Pour the mixture into the milk in the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until boiling and thick, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the pumpkin puree and cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Off the heat, whisk in the gelatin, vanilla and cinnamon. Whisk in the mascarpone.
  2. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the Calvados with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar at high power for 10 seconds, just until the sugar is dissolved.
  3. Arrange one-third of the whole gingersnaps in a 9-by-13-by-2 1/2-inch baking dish. Lightly brush the gingersnaps with some of the Calvados and top with one-third of the pumpkin custard. Repeat the layering twice more with the remaining whole gingersnaps, Calvados and custard. Sprinkle half of the crushed gingersnaps on top and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the tiramisù. Freeze overnight.
  4. Let the tiramisù stand at room temperature for 6 hours, until thawed. Sprinkle with the remaining gingersnaps. Serve.

Make Ahead

The pumpkin tiramisù can be frozen for up to 1 week. Thaw at room temperature for 4 to 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. Now that's a tiramisu I can get on board with. It's funny but my family never did the tiramisu; they were all about pastries and pizzelles. It must be a different part of Italy's cuisine than where my family came from. I've tried it before but I'm not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the regular tiramisu JoJo. Made it a couple of times. The one I bought the other day was very good too.

      Delete
  2. My sister read a lot of Robert Heinlein in the 1960s; I think he was her favorite author at the time. Good for your bowling team to be out of last place!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why Betty, I love this book. So long as we can keep going up. fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Glad your team no longer occupies the cellar!
    If you like space opera, Heinlein wrote some great books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, so was I.

      I liked your books didn't I?

      Delete
  4. Well done on your bowling results Jo :) And good luck to Matt for his operation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil. We are told it's very minor surgery.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful news about the bowling. Woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as always, healing wishes to your Honey Bunny.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ivy. Did you know there was a bat flapping around your head?

      Delete
    3. I did, I did. And now the darn thing won't leave. It's a batty situation for sure.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you have begun the ascent of that ladder! You could be the dark horses that steal the prize! Good luck! Tiramisu is about the only dessert I can't resist. I agree, it's gorgeous but not sure about pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so Pinky but not holding my breath.

      I thought this sounded good.

      Delete
  7. I have heard of that author and heard his stuff is good. Glad you are not last in bowling and that you enjoy every minute of it. I wish I liked pumpkin taste because this dessert looks good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this book certainly is Birgit. So am I glad, hope it's a good trend.

      Delete
  8. Congrats to you and your team!
    Good reading!
    I'm not into pumpkin either, a light taste in cookies maybe, but won't go out of my way for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolanda, got a lot of work ahead of us though. It is good.

      My favourite is pumpkin soup which I make a lot of through the year. Used to start with a whole pumpkin but found the damn things were just too hard to cut through any more.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations to you and your team. Always good to be on an upward move.

    ReplyDelete