Thursday, October 22, 2015

Death of a planet, Pirates of Penzance, Power Bar Failure.

Pictures and a paper came out on Wednesday showing the death of a solar system very much like ours, this is being revealed by the Keppler K2 telescope and the article includes an artistic rendition of what is happening with the White Dwarf star is causing the planet to be shredded by the star's gravity as it has fallen towards the White Dwarf star. Interesting article. This is the first time this kind of event has ever been witnessed before. Of course, this kind of news is much more in Stephen Tremp's line than mine, he knows more about it all.


As you know, I went with a friend to see The Pirates of Penzance on Tuesday. They did a wonderful job and we both really enjoyed it. The d'Oyle Carte company in London, England, is the place to see Gilbert and Sullivan and they always do lots of "business" which makes the audience laugh. The Drayton Theatre Company did the same with this show and we laughed ourselves silly. There were little snippets from other stories - we saw Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion, The Three Little Girls from the Mikado, The Abbess from Sound of Music (she sang Climb every mountain and brought tears to our eyes she was so good), to name a few, this was all happening during a scene where the Bobbies were chasing the pirates. Very funny. Then there were quite a few dance scenes where they suddenly broke into some completely different steps, and then back again. Very clever. There were some brilliant voices. Plus the actor who played the Major General did a wonderful job of singing "I am a Modern Major General" which is not an easy song to sing. Don't have this on full sound.

There are several versions of this on YouTube of course. It's been an ear worm for me all day. I understand the president of the local Gilbert and Sullivan Society has been three times. I don't blame him, it was excellent. I would love to go again but I don't have $50 to throw around. See below LOL.

Wednesday morning, as usual, I was on my laptop with no problem. After breakfast I went into the
other room to use the desktop and had trouble getting on the internet (although I had done so earlier) eventually, it turned out that it was my power bar which was no longer working. I managed to find a point for the modem connection, but presently I have no sound nor can I use my shredder or the phone in that room. I haven't yet discovered what the other plugs are for. I was talking to a guy at my ISP and he said "oh they're only about 50 bucks" with an airy tone. I assured him there was nothing "only" about it when you were a pensioner.  I might have been similarly casual when I was working. I don't think he will do that again. I went to Amazon.ca and found one which was about $20 plus tax and shipping of course. I have a big surge protector which most of the stuff is plugged into, but about 5 or 6 things were on the power bar. Funny using the PC without sound though.

I think that Arctic Char is probably my favourite fish. We used to go to a restaurant where he smoked his own salmon and also the arctic char. In my opinion it was better than the salmon and I love smoked salmon. Pity the restaurant closed down. I also love soba noodles and used to make Yaki Soba a lot once upon a time.

Arctic Char With Soba Noodles, Pine Nuts and Lemon

  • Time30 Minutes
  • Yield 4 servings
 


Ingredients

  • 6 ounces soba noodles
  • ¼ cup pine nuts
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper, plus more for seasoning
  • ½ teaspoon finely grated Meyer lemon zest
  • 2 teaspoons fresh Meyer lemon juice
  • 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
  • 4 arctic char fillets, about 8 ounces each, preferably center-cut pieces, skin removed
  • Meyer lemon wedges, for serving
  • Chopped fresh cilantro or mint, for serving

Preparation

  1. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse under cold water; drain well.
  2. Pulse the pine nuts in a food processor until finely ground. Scrape them into a large bowl. Add the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and lemon zest. Whisk in the lemon juice. Slowly whisk in 3 tablespoons oil. Toss noodles with the dressing.
  3. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
  4. Set a small skillet over medium-high heat and allow to heat up, about 1 minute. Add the cumin seeds and sizzle until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and add remaining oil. Allow to cool slightly.
  5. Season both sides of the fish with remaining salt and a pinch of pepper and place on the baking sheet. Spoon the cumin and oil evenly over the fillets. Roast to desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium rare.
  6. Divide the noodles among four plates and place the fish over the noodles. Garnish with the lemon wedges and cilantro or mint.

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Is a power bar aka a surge protector? They should not cost $50. You can get them in Walmart for like $10. Glad you had fun at the play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought one from Amazon for $20 JoJo. It was a make I trusted. I did enjoy the theatre, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Only fifty dollars!
    Shredding the planet - and we thought nuclear bombs were powerful. That sun is like a Death Star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, only!!

      That's true Alex, a Death Star. Bit frightening isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I just had to purchase a new power bar/surge protector. My TV would not come on. I never knew that these things go bad. Bought one for $20 on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they would either Denise, had mine a long time now. Bought mine from Amazon too.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan but can appreciate the skill needed to sing some of their fast-paced songs. Glad you enjoyed your evening, its great to have a good laugh and let your hair down isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love G & S Sue. It was a matinée actually. I wouldn't miss Jeopardy if I could help it LOL. I did enjoy it very much.

      Delete
  5. I'm not on a pension yet but I still balk at $50. Glad to hear you sourced a cheaper one. Have you ever seen Patience? That's a great Gilbert and Sullivan musical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it's a lot of money Pinky. No never seen it performed but I have read the libretto, as I have with most G & S musicals. I used to know the Mikado word for word, but then my father had recordings of that as well as the libretto.

      Delete
  6. I feel my mortality when I read about the planet being destroyed but this won't happen for a few million years so I have to simmer down:) That little idiot who said "Only $50" obviously has no clue about reality when it comes to money. I would love to see that musical-it sounds like it was a hoot! Arctic Char is great! My hubby used to live on Baffin island when he was a kid and they could catch this fish with their bare hands-there were so many close to shore. It is a great tasting fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think you will be around if it happens to earth Birgit. I don't think he will say only $50 as easily again. It was a hoot. Do you not have any kind of theatre company in your region. I would have thought you might.

      I love Arctic Char, lucky hubby.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like it was a good production of the Pirates. Interesting about the power board. I've had mine for years and I've only had one die so far. Fingers crossed for the others given they are not all that cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was Helen. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

      I've had mine for years. Turns out that the whole thing isn't dead, only certain outlets. However, I think I will still get a new one as it's already on it's way.

      Delete