Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Jacaranda, Hospital, Honey, Hip Dysplasia.

 For those of you who were curious yesterday, here is a picture of a branch from a Jacaranda where you will see it has green leaves and purple blossoms. This is what Wiki has to say about the Jacaranda.


Jacaranda is a genus of 49 species of flowering plants in the family Bignoniaceae, native to tropical and subtropical regions of Central America, South America, Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica and the Bahamas.


In case you didn't see it. here is the picture I posted yesterday. This came from Australia which means they grow there, in the tropical regions I assume.















Tuesday afternoon we went to the hospital to get Matt's stitches removed. Everything went  well and she told him to keep an eye on his skin and consult the dermatologist asap if anything suspicious occurs as he is likely to get more such spots. We will lady, we will.

After the hospital we went to the asparagus farm to get honey. Well fresh asparagus isn't available now unfortunately. I bought two large honeys to, hopefully, see me through the winter. I also got a jar of pickled asparagus. I love that stuff. Looking around I couldn't see anyone and was thinking of leaving some money or a note or something when Tim Barrie turned up. He had been collecting his puppy from the vet's and he was cuddling her in his arms. She was somewhat dopey. Turns out she has hip dysplasia. I thought that was only a problem with big dogs. Something we had to watch for when purchasing German Shepherds, and breeders would offer certification of several generations free as it is a hereditary problem.  I used to be very involved with the breed and at one time had three German Shepherds. This picture is not the same make of raw honey, but this is the type I buy. Absolutely delicious and not as runny. Wonderful by the spoonful or spread on toast. Tim tells me they now have the hives on their land so it will be interesting to see what their honey tastes like. He says it will be available next year.

We have a local rain warning - it sounds like they are expecting quite a storm.

 Hallowe'en recipes are beginning to flood my inbox.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake

  • Yield: 1 cheesecake

About This Recipe

"A friend brought this to a silent auction, I was the lucky winner of one. This is so easy and so delicious! She got the recipe from the back of a cream cheese container. I would have taken a picture but the cheesecake vanished too quickly!"

Ingredients

  • 2 (8 ounce) packages low-fat cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 graham cracker crust ( ready to go type)
  • 6 Reese's Peanut Butter cups

Directions

  1. Mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until well blended.
  2. Add eggs and beat until mixed.
  3. Pour into crust.
  4. Chop candy bars and sprinkle over filling.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until center is almost set.
  6. Cool.
  7. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
  8. Tip: This can also be made as a Snickers cheesecake by chopping three bars instead of using the Reese's.

Have a great day
 

17 comments:

  1. That reeses cheesecake looks better than that awful hamburger with the reeses stuffed in the middle. Gross. I wish I liked honey but the smell makes me instantly nauseous. I can use it in cooking but I don't use it in baking. I just cannot eat it by the spoon. Goes back to childhood when I used to get bronchitus. I was sick over the holidays and my doc called my mom back from wherever he was vacationing and told her to give me warm milk with butter and honey and that would help soothe my cough till he got back to the office. It's the most disgusting drink ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know JoJo, I thought that looked awful too. Honey and milk, but butter as well? Odd. Such a pity, raw honey is delicious, so good for you and it never spoils. It's so different from the stuff you get in the supermarket too. Almost a different food.

      Delete
  2. Now that's a tasty looking cheesecake.
    Shame some breeds have that problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the look of it Alex.

      Hip Dysplasia is a big problem in larger breeds like Shepherds. So sad little Millie has it too, she is only a tiny little dog.

      Delete
  3. Poor little puppy!
    Love the info on the Jacaranda tree!
    Wow, what a cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Yolanda, she is so cute too. Interesting tree. I wish we had some in the park.

      Gonna make it?

      Delete
  4. That cheesecake looks delicious!! Corgis are prone to hip dysplasia too because of their long body and short legs. We were told not to have Koda jump up and down from heights and to have him not do a lot of stairs. We lived in several houses with 2 stories and would limit him to the downstairs during the day and often carry him up and down the stairs at bedtime.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Betty. I just thought it was big dogs, silly me. I believe it is something to do with over breeding. I know GSD breeders are now extremely careful about breeding with animals certified as not having a history of it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo,

    Glad everything went well with Matt! Natural honey is so good for you! Lots of anti oxidants and it tastes amazing!

    That cheesecake looks illegal...It should be arrested!

    Happy Halloween! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. It is wonderful stuff isn't it? I love the fact that it doesn't spoil.

      Hm, I bet if it were arrested it would still get eaten. Happy Hallowe'en to you too.

      Delete
  6. Poor little dog but it sounds like she is being well cared for. I love honey and can't think of being without it. I put it in tea and my hubby puts it in his coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is Birgit. I don't sweeten my drinks but I use honey on toast and if my sugars are low I have a spoonful at bedtime.

      Delete
  7. I think the tropics are a bit hot for the Jacarandas. There's a small town called Grafton in my state which has a Jacaranda festival because the town is full of them. They are gorgeous. I'm going to email you a picture of the flame tree blossoming outside my window. It's not as spectacular as your trees but still pretty. German Shepherds are notorious for hip dysplasia aren't they. Ours doesn't have it... yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet they say the tropics is where they grow. I would love to be in Grafton for that festival. Thanks for the picture, that is lovely too. I would like to see a whole bunch of them as well. Can't remember how old your Shepherd is Pinky, but I think they are born with it although it may not be noticeable until they are older. Some years since I was involved with the breed now.

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear all is well with Matt. Most of our generation is in line for skin cancers apparently, even those like me who didn't burn so I'm very aware of the problem.

    There are a lot of jacarandas in flower at the moment where I live. They do well here as they're not fond of year round very high temperatures and, as Pinky Pointer said, Grafton on the opposite side of the continent is famous for its Jacaranda festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got burned a couple of times as I recall. Thought it wasn't a bad thing as it peeled all the skin off and I got fresh new underneath. We just didn't know did we?

      I would love to go to Grafton for the festival. In a different way, there is a town in North Carolina, Wilmington, which has an azalea festival, absolutely lovely.

      Delete
  9. The Jacarandas are stunning aren't they?

    I love peanut butter but we don't buy it normally - no self control! I do struggle with some of these recipes as the ingredients are available here, or maybe they are but in different guises.

    Have you ever made the Squidy Chocolate Pear Pudding you Blogged about some time ago? I saved the recipe but never tried it - thinking of doing it for friends when back out on Fuerteventura at the end of the month as they are all sweet-toothed pudding fans.

    ReplyDelete