Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Old Movie, Bowling, Kale,

I have just watched a movie I haven't seen since I was a youngster. Not sure how young, the movie was made in 1946 but I can't imagine I saw it then. It has stayed in my mind ever since. I don't remember if I ever saw it again, but seeing it was on tonight (Monday) I couldn't resist watching it. It was called A Matter of Life and Death in England and Stairway to Heaven in the US. It starred David Niven with Kim Hunter as his love interest. Niven is a pilot who should have died when he jumped from a plane without a parachute but didn't do so. He then has to argue his case in front of a heavenly court to allow him to continue to live, particularly as in the few hours before they (the people in the afterlife) realised their mistake, he had fallen in love. There were some good names with small parts as well as well know people taking other parts. I really enjoyed seeing it again. Matt didn't think much of it. He should have been a continuity person because he spots all kinds of things wrong in movies and I have to get him to shut up so I can enjoy the movie.  I do the same thing with books. Like right now, I am reading a great book by David Weber but the typos are driving me nuts.

Being Monday we went bowling. I am delighted to report I had two excellent games and one
respectable one. First time for a while. Matt did well in two but not the third game. We ended up winning 5 of the possibly 7 points, but we are still on the bottom of the list. I really should stop worrying about that as it's not a matter of life and death (pun intended). One of the other bowlers gave me some kale last week when she found out I liked it. Today she gave me some more, it was purple, never seen that before. It is now part of a soup which tastes very good. I do hope she is not going to bring me kale every week. I don't know how long the growing season is. Guess I should check it out. We do like it, but moderation in all things.

I posted a potato recipe last week with Gruyère Cheese. It was called Cheesy Hasselback Potato Gratin. Bryan from A Beer for the Shower said he made it at the weekend and it was wondderful and everybody loved it. Always nice to hear that. Not sure I will try it because it was loaded with calories. I would need to invite a lot of people to make sure I only had a small portion.

Kale, Leek Soup

Thought I would share what I did.

Sautéed 4 leeks, and a bunch of green onions in a little olive oil. I added 2 stalks of celery chopped up then added two cartons of chicken stock. (8 cups I think) and then the kale. I also added salt and then cooked it long enough to soften the kale. Right now it's sitting in the fridge. I will portion it out tomorrow.


Have a great day

19 comments:

  1. I love this film-It is not really known much but it was nicely acted by David Niven and quite a nice fantasy. I am surprised by the colour of the Kale. Is there a difference in the taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Birgit, it was great to see it again. Not really as far as I can tell. I have tasted a bit but not eaten the soup yet.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I saw the film recently here on tv - it was fun .. light and interesting. I love kale - but too much, I agree, would be not too welcome ... still accept gratefully and do what you will with it!! Glad the bowling is better - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun isn't it Hilary? I really enjoyed it again. I am gratefully accepting it at the moment. Thanks re the bowling.

      Delete
  3. Never heard of that film but I can guarantee my friend Chip has. He's an old movie aficianado. I like Portuguese kale soup....my husband loves it. I think I'll make it for him this week when he gets in. Except he doesn't think I use enough kale! I buy two big bundles and use all of it! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely film JoJo. Don't know Portuguese Kale soup. Must look up the recipe. He really does love kale doesn't he?

      Delete
  4. I couldn't remember the name of that movie... I saw it once and liked it, but never remembered the name. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service John. I couldn't remember the name of it either before seeing it last night.

      Delete
  5. No lie, I have kale and leek, along with other goodies, simmering away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a veggie stock that I'll eat for breakfast with a small amount of cooked millet seed.

      Delete
    2. Coincidence Ivy. Never tried millet though.

      Delete
    3. Love, love, love millet seed.But they can often be sold rancid as can the flour. It's sooo easy to make the flour, too.

      I wish I could give you some via the internet. The millets seeds are great fun to play with and hydrate well with stock or water. And the neat thing, they can be made fluffy or tougher. Both are yummy.

      And for breakfast in a porridge or for a savoury main.

      YUM!

      Delete
    4. Before I read your posts Ivy, millet see was something I associated with bird feed.

      Delete
    5. Yeah Ivy, but I didn't know they fed it to humans.

      Delete
  6. I make critical remarks during movies and it drives my husband up the wall too. Have you ever seen the movie, Dear Ruth? It's a golden oldie. I think it was made in the 50s. It's one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd drive me nuts too Pinky. No never even heard of that movie - is it an Australian movie or American.

      Delete
  7. I love that movie, too. For some reason it sticks in the mind. The kale soup sounds delicious. I only discovered kale recently and do enjoy it but, like you, in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Helen. It was good, we have eaten it twice and I froze some. I was thinking of phoning my bowling friend and saying "no more" then I thought of Kale chips which are supposed to be so good. I also thought of the women I exercise with who might like some.

      Delete