Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Operation, Bowling, Driving,

Today, Monday, was the great day for Matt, at last he could have a shower. Not having had one since Friday morning, he was more than ready for one. We got to unwrap his surgery sites to see what they looked like. I was particularly interested to see the one where she had used a skin flap on his leg. Someone at the bowling alley
described it as a smiley face. I must say it's not quite what I expected to see. Kind of reminds me of the things you see on Zombies. The one on his forehead is much smaller and only needed a Bandaid to cover it again. Just noticed the date on this picture, looks like I need to check the date setting.

We went bowling Monday afternoon, I insisted Matt keep his leg up most of the time. He will be
seeing the surgeon on Wednesday anyway. He didn't bowl of course, and I might as well not have. What a disastrous game. My excuse was that I felt exhausted, not really sure why, I have not been that overworked this last few days although someone said it could be stress that was making me like that. Actually my most stressful time was driving home on Friday. I haven't driven much lately as Matt insists on doing so. Not only that, he criticised quite a lot of what I was doing which made me even more nervous. He might not survive this operation for more reasons than one. I have decided I will NOT sit back and let him drive all the time if for no other reason than my discomfort when I do have to drive.

This recipe came from Mushrooms Canada a short while ago, not got around to using it so thought I would do so today. I am not too sure about all that Maple syrup,  but the rest of it sounds pretty good. It is our Thanksgiving on Monday and we have a friend coming to dinner to celebrate on Saturday. I am thinking I might do this as a side.

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Mushrooms and Bacon by The Brunette Baker

Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut lengthwise (about 5 cups)
1½ cup white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
6-8 slices bacon, cooked, drained, and chopped*
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

*For a vegetarian option, omit bacon and replace bacon fat with olive oil to sweat vegetables.

Method
In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain off excess fat. Reserve bacon fat. 
Sweat sliced mushrooms in reserved bacon fat. Once mushrooms are tender, remove those from pan and set aside. Add chopped onion into the bacon fat and cook until transparent. Add in garlic. 

Toss in shredded Brussels sprouts and cook for about five to seven minutes until tender.

Once tender, add mushrooms and chopped bacon back into the pan. Pour in maple syrup and mix together to ensure all ingredients are incorporated. Top with fresh cracked black pepper.

Serve while dish is still hot.

This dish is delicious with baked chicken legs, meatloaf, or even a fried egg.

Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. The wound looks to be healing well. Matt must be pleased.
    The driving thing is similar to what we have - I've been finding it hard to drive due to my painful knee - and I came to the same conclusion about needing to drive more to keep up my confidence on the weekend. It's too easy to get out of the habit I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does Helen. I'm not sure I am actually nervous driving or Matt is making me nervous. But I certainly do need to get out and drive more.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad Matt sounds like he's improving ... and the wound looks good - interesting too! Sorry about the bowling. I must say it'd be wiser if you got more practise - and would help you both. Can you take the car out on your own for some trial runs ... that would help.

    I love Brussels and they're back in the shops ... this sounds a great recipe .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was impressed how good the wounds looked. I can take the car out, but Matt doesn't much like to be left alone.

      I went off Brussels for a while, no idea why, but I think this would be good to try.

      Delete
  3. Tell him not to be a backseat driver!
    That is one heck of a big scar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell him, I nearly pushed him out of the car Alex.

      It is a big scar, but it's what they call a skin flap, not sure how it works exactly.

      Delete
  4. I don't drive for the same reason, and I've always loved driving, but hubby makes it so uncomfortable. When I'm on my own, I relish it! Your post made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Yolanda. Normally Matt sits next to me in a totally relaxed (which obviously isn't) position. It is so forced it makes me nervous. I love driving too and I don't care what he says, I am a pretty good driver.

      Delete
  5. Wow that was a huge cut they made on Matt's leg. Makes me think of the "flap" they did on my head. But I don't understand how that got the cancer cells out?
    Tell Matt to mind his own business when you're driving. Stop the car if he gets uppity! Hope you feel better soon, operations are tiring for everyone and don't forget it's a lot of work being the caretaker! Take care of yourself, and Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't pretend to understand it either Lisa. You had a flap on your head? What was that for?

      I've never tried telling him to mind his own business. Not a bad idea to stop the car either. It is tiring all round I guess. Thanks for the good wishes Lisa.

      Delete
  6. I wasn't expecting that cut to be that big! And Russell has a lot to say about my driving too and it drives me crazy. I literally have a panic attack when I have to park because I never seem to pick the right place where HE wants me to park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what to expect JoJo as she talked about skin flaps and grafts. It was a skin flap and I will ask her about it tomorrow. Men and cars are a pain aren't they?

      Delete
  7. That scar does look like a Halloween smiley face:) In a few short years it will hardly be noticeable. You wonder why you are stressed? First, your loved one was informed he has cancer, then he had an operation. Sorry to the men who read this but men can run their gal ragged when they feel ill. On top of it all he decides to critique your driving! My hubby does the same thing to me and I drive constantly. I have almost stopped the car and kicked him out. Once I pretended to look for something and when he asked what i was doing i told him i was looking for the ejection button for the passenger side:) I hope now, things will be a little easier for you and once this crisis is done and you look back on it you will probably see how much stress you have been under. Remember you have been the main caregiver recently and people forget how much weight that is on the care taker. Sit back, relax and watch another movie you love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know how they fade, Matt has lots of scars from hips and knee replacements and I have one hip scar which is hardly visible now. I certainly am feeling tired so maybe you are right Birgit. I like the idea of an eject button in the car. Thanks for the advice.

      Delete
  8. I really laughed at loud with the joke!!!
    I do like brussel sprouts. I will have to think about this in about a month when I am having to do my own cooking. My sister and brother in law and their neighbor are coming for two weeks when I get home from the hospital. After they leave, there is a schedule from a neighbor for other neighbors to bring meals for two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you lucky to have all those people willing to cook for you. Didn't get anything like that Maggie. In fact when I had my hip done, Matt's second one was done a month later.

      Delete
  9. That cartoon is funny. Really fits what you're going through.

    ReplyDelete