Tuesday, November 22, 2011

RFN, Grrr, Mammograms, Taming Fire

An update on Restore Family Nutrition, we have been asked to provide some schools with a monthly recipe and Michelle, our leader, has asked me to help with this. I will be delighted to, but need to research recipes which are more suitable for schools. For instance I don’t think Duckling à l’Orange would do, LOL. Maybe Toad in the Hole though, a traditional English dish. Thinking back to my own school years, another thing we used to get was Treacle Tart which I loved plus Yorkshire Pudding sprinkled with sugar for a dessert, scrumptious.

We have been told we cannot use the garbage chute for about 3 weeks due to repairs to water systems – not only is that going to be a great pain in the butt, but whatever they are doing has started with a noise which sounds a bit like a frenzied woodpecker and is beginning to drive me nuts. I didn’t go bowling this aft, I wish I had.

I have just spotted an article on screening for breast cancer, it appears the new mammogramCanadian guidelines don’t recommend constant mammograms any more for people with an average risk of breast cancer. The feeling being it should be more to do with a discussion between the woman and her doctor rather than a mandatory ‘one size fits all’ approach. This is really quite a shocker because doctors and cancer groups have been advocating mammograms on a regular basis for years now. What a drastic about face.

I am currently reading a Kindle book called Taming Fire, the Dragon Prince Trilogy by Aaron Pogue. However, it appears there is, as yet, no sequel, how very frustrating as I have nearly finished this and am very much enjoying the story. I have been assured by Aaron Pogue that the next book, Dragonswarm, will be out in December. I am very pleased to hear it.

Talking of Toad-in-the-Hole, here is a recipe from Cookery in Colour. I have seen adaptations on this plus serving it with gravy and mashed potatoes. Never, gravy would just make the Yorkshire Pudding go soggy which would defeat the whole object of the dish. Also, don’t forget to prick the sausages with a fork before cooking. As for fat or dripping, these days I would use some canola oil.

Toad-in-the-Hole

1 lb good sausagesToad in the Hole
knob of fat or dripping if required.

Yorkshire Pudding or Pancake Batter
4 oz. flour
pinch salt
1 egg*
1/2 UK pt. milk  (10 fl. oz.) or milk and water**

* for a richer mixture use 2 eggs
** For a light batter use half water (iced water is excellent) and half milk. A little melted butter or olive oil can be added to the batter if making pancakes.
Sieve the flour and salt together into a basin. Drop in egg or eggs and beat mixture well. Gradually beat in just enough liquid to make stiff, smooth batter. Be sure there are no lumps. Allow to stand for a few minutes, then gradually whisk or beat in the rest of the liquid. this mixture can be allowed to stand some time fore cooking. If possible put into a fridge or really cool place. Give final beat or whisk before using.

Put the sausages into an ovenproof dish. Cook for about 10 minutes in a hot oven (450°F) If necessary add fat (oil) and get this very hot too. Pour in the batter and return to a 450° to 475° F. oven for approximately 30 minutes. If using very hot oven, lower the heat slightly after 10-15 minutes so the batter doesn’t get too brown before being cooked.

Have a great day
Jo

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo .. I love Toad in the Hole .. delicious and I still make it occasionally. Mammograms - I think they're rethinking things as more knowledge and research is done .. Good luck with the food recipes though - sounds an interesting project to be involved. I've got the same ear-screeching saw and drill noise here .. such is life for the building man. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made Toad in the Hole for a while, should do so.

    Hopefully our Restore Family Nutrition will be successful, Michelle is certainly working hard at it.

    Trouble is, I'm not a building man!!!

    ReplyDelete