Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Reversing Alzheimer’s, Decorating, Cream,

Interesting that I end up finding out this stunning deep_brain_stimulapiece of medical news through a friend on Facebook pointing to an article from the BBC. Alzheimer's: Deep brain stimulation 'reverses' disease is the headline of an article talking about some early success with electronic brain stimulation similar to that already used to assist patients with Parkinson’s and Tourette’s Syndrome. Dementia is something I have been scared about for many a year as many of my relatives appear to have suffered from it in one form or another plus TIAs can cause cerebral dementia. The possibility of being able to reverse such a situation is, to me, something of a miracle. Something which I shall certainly be praying for.

These days I have trouble doing my own house cleaning, not a job I have ever been very keen on I might say, for a lot of my life I had cleaners to do the chores for me. Now I find we are both really Mrs. Mophampered when it comes to doing much cleaning, especially vacuuming, we have had a couple coming in once a month – ex supers here – but now they tell me they are off somewhere for three months, so I have had to look for someone else. Yesterday we interviewed a young woman (mind you she has grandkids, but she seemed young to me) and she is coming in on Dec. 7th for the first time. She seems like she will be pretty good, we shall see. We also spent part of yesterday on Christmas decorations although we have saved the tree til tomorrow. We both hate putting it up and usually end up fighting about it. Merry Christmas!!! Then we have friends coming for dinner at the weekend so need to clean the silver which is looking somewhat dull and tarnished. I could put all the silver away of course, but it always looks so nice, when its clean that is.

The following recipes are specifically for my Nog challenged friends. Both come from a 1935 cookbook Double Devonand are easy, original and quick recipes for making as much eggnog as you can drink. The addition of cinnamon or nutmeg is a modern concept as is using rum. The recipe also presupposes you are using English cream which is very much thicker than anything available in North America, what I have done, on occasion, is mix whipping cream with Double Devon Cream which is available in pots, that gives you a similar texture.

Egg Nog

Mrs.  Beeton’s CookeryEgg Nog

1 egg white

1 tbs sherry or brandy

1 tbs cream

sugar to taste (caster sugar in the UK)

Put the wine or brandy into a tumbler, add the cream and a little sugar, mix well. Whisk the egg white to a stiff froth, stir it lightly into the contents of the tumbler and serve. Takes about 5 minutes

Egg Nog, Hot

1 Egg yolk

1 UK pint (20 fl. oz) milk

1 Tbs sugar

1 tbs brandy or whisky

Beat the yolk of the egg and sugar well together, then stir in the brandy or whisky. Bring to milk to boiling point, then pour it over the mixed ingredients, stir well and serve. This one takes about 10 minutes.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment