Monday, June 22, 2020

Saturday, Technology, Shawl, Canning, Father's Day,

"A funny thing happened on the way to the forum" - that phrase just occurred to me - do you remember it, it was a show and then a movie? Anyway, I thought it funny to get a phone call from a cardiology centre on a Saturday. Cardiology centres don't normally work Saturdays surely. I am having a phone appointment with their cardiologist, Dr. Johnson, on July 8. That is something of a relief. Didn't take too long to get a referral. I only had a mild heart attack 18 months ago, but it feels more comfortable to have a cardiologist on board. Actually I quite like these phone appointments, especially with my family doctors because they are so far away.

Technology is beginning to defeat me. First I kept getting battery warnings from my phone and I
didn't understand it because the charge showed high 80s. So my watch
went dead. I didn't know it  would warn me of my watch!! Forgot to take it off in the shower again. Guess my paint job on the tiles isn't working. So when I plugged it in it said "set time and date", I fiddled with it forever and then it suddenly showed the correct time and date anyway!! Then this afternoon, I took a couple of pix showing the shawl ladydog had made for me, I cannot seem to transfer them to my computer. I tried emailing them. I give up. On the other hand, if at first you don't succeed!! I was trying to show you the lovely soft lilac colours. as well as the long fringe. It is very fluffy and will be marvellous in the winter. Clever girl.

I did manage to can 3 more jars of asparagus though, so now I have 9. Do you think that might last me? Of course I have some in the freezer too so will probably add to that before the season ends. I have a load of ends and no way of pickling them so I think I will cook them and eat them whilst I am having a drink. (I did and enjoyed them). I decided this year that I was very glad to have purchased the "grabber" (no idea what they are called) for moving the jars in and out of the boiling water. It was a very good buy. Of course I will probably only be getting one more batch of asparagus this year unless the farmer has decided to extend the season as it was so slow getting started. I should remember to ask them next time I go.

So far Matt has been doing his exercises as and when requested. At the moment he is only doing 5 reps of each exercise, but I will step that up later. He already has a little more movement which surprises me as it hasn't been long. It would be marvellous if he could walk pain free, or at least with very little pain. Just done his night ones and he is talking of quitting. However, with any luck he will forget that. Monday morning I will be talking, via the computer, to my Coordinator from the LHIN and will have to get down on my bended knees to get some more PSWs to help with these exercises.

I finally got round to playing the Jonathan Antoine CD I bought and Matt thoroughly enjoyed it. He had forgotten who he was until I showed him the picture. That reminds me, he had a call from one of his daughters and it sounded a fairly successful conversation.

Spring Pizza

Asparagus, chives and Fontina cheese top this easy pizza recipe. Serve with baby greens tossed with

vinaigrette and pecans.

3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound)
½ cup snipped fresh chives (from 1 bunch), divided
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 lb whole-wheat pizza dough
1 cup shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese

1. Position rack in lower third of oven, place a pizza stone or large pizza pan on the rack and preheat oven to 450°F for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small bowl; set aside. Trim asparagus spears to about 6 inches long; slice any thicker stalks in half lengthwise. Toss in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, ¼ cup chives, salt and pepper. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-inch circle. Carefully remove the pizza stone or pan from the oven and set on a heatproof surface, such as your stovetop. Place the dough on the stone or pan and brush with the reserved garlic-oil mixture. Arrange the asparagus in a circular pattern on the dough with the tips facing out. Top with cheese and the remaining chives. Carefully return the stone or pan to the oven and bake the pizza on the lower rack until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.

Servings: 5

Source: EatingWell


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful news that Matt's exercises are already having a positive impact. I hope for both of you that he keeps them up.
    The shawl is gorgeous and looks as if it would feel like the very best kind of hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope he does too Sue.

      I never thought of that, you are so right.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I hope you can sort the battery problem out ... these things seem to try us - but it's good Matt is doing his exercises ... I wonder if you can't do some with him ... so he always does his. The shawl looks really warming - lucky you and kind Lady Dog. Glad the cardiologist is being set up - I had my hip op on a Saturday ... when they were trying to catch up, that's probably happening with you.

    Wonderful asparagus - they look good ... and sad it's nearly over til next year ... take care and stay safe ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I know now Hilary, but it fooled me originally. Yes, gotta go do his exercises now. He lies on a bed to do them. Not really possible for me. I am delighted with the shawl. I guess when they are busy they have to work all kinds of hours.

      It is sad Hilary, especially as it was such a short season this year.

      Delete
  3. The shawl looks very beautiful, Jo. How lucky you are to have good friends make such delightful and practical items for you. As for asparagus, I think we will probably have it one more time, but I might buy a jar of the pickled stuff later. I think our canning days are done. I do miss our own beets, however. Hope all goes well with the cardiologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is David, well thanks to Covid she had to keep working at her crocheting LOL. I never did much canning til recently, although in NC I used to can tomatoes when they were really plentiful and we could get bucketloads for a song.

      Delete
  4. The shawl looks lovely. I love the look of crochet but it's one crafty thing that I never enjoyed doing. It's good that Matt is co-operating at the moment. Makes your life a little easier for a while at least. You are industrious canning food. I used to when I had children to cater for but since I haven't done any since they left home I handed on my equipment to someone who would actually use it a few years back. I hope all goes well with the cardiologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely Helen. I tried crochet when I was a youngster but not in recent years. It does, you're right. I only can asparagus these days. It's purely selfish, I like pickled asparagus. Matt never touches it. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I am glad he is doing his exercises. I could never get my mom to do that and she only started once she was in the long term care home. Glad you were able to can your precious veggie...not for me..hahahaaa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good Birgit, hope the PSWs can take over though. You and ladydog together, she can't stand asparagus either.

      Delete