Thursday, June 25, 2020

PSW, Doctor, Shopping, Bedtime, Marmalade,

I am glad we don't have video phones. I was about to jump (naturally) into the shower when ours rang. Turned out to be a PSW waiting to come up. Nobody told me to expect someone today. Apparently we have been approved for a daily PSW, but how about telling me. At least she didn't come at 7. Around 9 ish I think, didn't look at the time. Had to throw my nightdress back on. Not sure Matt is going to like having to shower every day.

So then I am expecting a doctor consult at noon. I think I have just got time to go to the loo and guess what, the phone rings. I managed to just answer with my underwear down by my feet. Not my day obviously. However, he sent off a fax for the pills Matt needs and they are sending them to me tomorrow.

After that I ordered a take out lunch at the Pho Tran for ladydog to collect tomorrow - they don't open til noon so we can't get the food before unfortunately. Will make a change, Mind you I didn't order anything for Zoey.

Later, another woman, Trish brought the groceries for me. So very nice of her. I then put everything away and discovered I was short 8 bananas. I phoned them and then decided I would go down straight away as we needed stuff in the liquor store too. Drove past the liquor store first and there was a line up for miles, so got my bananas and went to the smaller LCBO and was able to walk straight in. Decided to see if they had any of my buns at the bakery too, they did so lots accomplished in my quick shop. I think, and hope, Kathy will be back to do my shopping next week.

I must say I feel as though I am running round in circles.

Talking of sleep, as we did yesterday, I fell asleep whilst watching TV tonight but luckily woke in time to supervise Matt's bedtime preparations. He hadn't changed his Depends nor would he have done his exercises without me. He is rebelling now and again anyway. However, I am determined he will loosen those muscles and that ligament again.

I received an email about making marmalade in the Instant Pot. I would never have thought of that. Probably because I have never made marmalade anyway. I don't eat it much any more as, being sugar, I gain wait just thinking about it. I have a friend who makes her own in the UK and wins prizes by doing so. Not sure about the oranges here, in the UK we use Seville oranges which are tart, but I don't know of similar oranges here.

I ordered a couple of Portabella mushrooms today and when they arrived, they really weren't much bigger than my cremini I buy all the time. I also ordered strawberry and then was too tired to hull them for supper tonight. Years ago, when we were staying with friends here (living in the US), I first saw Portabella mushrooms and I bought one each for our hosts and ourselves. Our hostess refused to eat such an expensive mushroom, so, nothing loath, I ate it LOL.

Asparagus and Double Smoked Bacon Popover

Asparagus, double smoked bacon and leeks baked on a puffy popover topped with melted cheese!


1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 Tbs butter
1/2 cup milk, warm
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup gruyère, shredded

1. Bring a pan with 1 inch of water to a boil, add the asparagus and cook until it turns bright green.

2. Rinse the asparagus under cold water and pat dry.

3. Cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet over medium heat, and set aside on paper towels to drain reserving the grease in the pan.

4. Add the leeks to the pan, saute until tender, about 2-4 minutes, set aside and turn off the heat.

5. Add the butter to the skillet and let it melt.

6. Mix the milk, eggs, flour, salt and pepper and pour it into the pan.

7. Sprinkle the asparagus, bacon, leeks and the cheese over the batter in the pan.

8. Transfer the pan to a preheated 425F/220C oven and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Servings: 4

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe
.

8 comments:

  1. Very, very lucky you don't have video phones. I am grateful we don't have them on the crisis line (yet). While it would make assessing whether callers are sexual fantasists easy it is not a sight I want to see.
    I am pleased that your mini shop was so successful - but wish you hadn't needed to do it.
    Enjoy tomorrow's lunch.
    I do love a portabella mushroom - and it is less expensive than many cuts of meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind you, for the doc I guess it wouldn't have mattered. I didn't know you had to deal with sexual fantasists. Not nice.

      Will do. I love portabellas too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - always the way ... but am glad things are happening for you - and yes I hope the shopping with Cathy settles back quickly next week. The daily PSW is good news. The Popover sounds delicious .. take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just Hilary. Yes, I miss Cathy although Trish was very good.

      Delete
  3. We do get the intimate details of your life, Jo! I shall immediately banish from my prurient mind images of you "jumping" naked into the shower, and another with your underwear around your ankles! That is more than I can handle so early in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL David. I thought for such an early riser you would have been able to handle anything.

      Delete
  4. I think that's when I'd just let the phone ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but they were important calls Alex.

      Delete