Saturday, June 27, 2020

PSWs, Lunch, Driving to the Farm, Supper, Barbra Streisand, Eagle?

Sorry to keep on about the PSWs but they are my major concern at the moment. This morning, Friday, Glen who has been with us several times, came at 9:30 ish which wasn't too bad. He also mostly remembered the exercises. The only trouble is, I won't be getting the same guy every time so I will have to teach them the exercises. No rest for the wicked.

I then had lunch, earlyish as I wanted to get mine over with so I could then do Matt's. He likes to eat at 12. I missed out on asparagus yesterday and only at lunchtime today did I remember we had missed out on bananas too, we normally have one every day. I am forgetting which day it is lately. I had some asparagus for breakfast and then finished up what I had in the house for lunch plus finishing up the food from lunch the day before. All scraps lately.

After lunch, we headed to the car and went to the asparagus farm. A lovely day to go for a drive and it is mostly country so quite a pleasant trip. Especially as they have re-surfaced a long stretch of the road we travel which makes it nice and smooth to drive on. Winters really screw up our roads here although, with global warming, I guess that will improve. Unless things change, that was my last trip for this year although they don't stop selling asparagus until July 1. I guess I could squeeze in one more trip, maybe.

For supper I made myself the salad I posted yesterday. Matt tasted it and didn't think much of it, I am so glad, I got to eat all of it. Well, I  more or less knew I would anyway, he has really gone off asparagus this year. I noticed, leaving the farm, that the corn is growing well and is looking good for August. ladydog will be pleased. Asparagus is not in her book, but she does love corn. Me, I love both.

Looking for something to watch on TV, I found Barbra Streisand on Rogers on Demand. I selected that for Matt to watch and intended to get on with blogging and Spanish. I don't much like her. Except tonight I thoroughly enjoyed the whole concert, it was excellent. It kept Matt happy too, he didn't know who she was at first but recognised her name. She was always one of his great favourites and tonight was no exception.

Matt saw a brief glance of what we believe to be the young Bald Eagle tonight. I missed it this time. It would be lovely if our little park attracted them to nest here next year.

Asparagus Guacamole

Excellent, I actually thought it was nicer than standard guacamole. It was light and the wonderful
flavour sweet flavour of asparagus just shone through. It really is delicious!

1 1/2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
1 Tbs reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 Tbs fresh lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
3 medium scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/8 tsp table salt, to taste
1/8  tsp black pepper, to taste

1. Bring large pot of water to boil.

2. Add asparagus and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.

3. Drain.

4. Place asparagus into food processor and purée until smooth.

5. Stir in remaining ingredients and serve.

Servings: 1

Author: Nat Da Brat

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

10 comments:

  1. The asparagus guacamole sounds delicious. I would leave out the cilantro though - and would have it all to myself. As I do the standard guacamole. Himself rejects asparagus AND avocado.
    I do hope the PSW settles down to a routine though. It is supposed to help you and Matt not make for more work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how many people don't enjoy cilantro Sue. Have a couple of friends who fell out because of it.

      I hope so too. I guess it will eventually.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - ask them for an exercise sheet ... they should have one, and in my mind should have given you a copy: then that'll make the 'work-out' easier. If the journey is that lovely - then I'd take another trip out to the farm ... something you'll enjoy. A friend managed to get me some more yesterday - which I'm getting later on. But I do love fresh corn and can't wait for ours to be available. Have a peaceful weekend ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have one Hilary, but it is not quite the same as the exercises he demonstrated. Good idea and if I go on Wednesday I should be able to justify buying some more green stuff LOL Do they grow corn in the UK these days, or more properly maize in the UK.

      Delete
  3. I am quite sure that you hold the world record for asparagus consumption, Jo. No doubt your skin is acquiring a green hue and your pee is pungent! Yesterday dinner was very simple for us. I breaded a chicken breast which we split, and made a Greek Salad. Then we had a few cherries and some watermelon. Quite delicious, I must say. I have no idea what we will do today, but it will not include asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not turning green David and I am sure you are right about the pee. No sense of smell. Asparagus is also one of the healthiest things you can eat, it is so good for you. You should have gone to Barrie's, it is much cheaper, $10 for 2 1/2 lbs.

      Delete
    2. Certainly a good price, but it is quite a trek from the north end of Waterloo. As you say asparagus is very healthy, I am just not sufficiently fond of it to eat it over and over.

      Delete
    3. Very true David, but I could always have picked up some for you, not such a trek to get here. However, the season is over next week and I don't suppose I will be going again this year unless I do as Hilary said, go for the ride. As you will gather, I eat it every day in season. Just love it.

      Delete
  4. Never a Streisand fan either.
    And asparagus for breakfast? That doesn't sound like my kind of breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet I enjoyed the concert last night Alex.

      It was delicious.

      Delete