Wednesday, June 3, 2020

DVD, WNED, Facebook, Results,

At long last, the DVD of Jonathan Antoine's Going the Distance is available from Amazon. I have been wanting to get it since I first saw him on PBS. He has such a wonderful voice and we could listen to it for ever. If you haven't heard him sing yet, I encourage you to do so. He sings all kinds of music from an adaptation of Country Roads, Unchained Melody and Nessun Dorme. Unfortunately I was put off somewhat when I first saw him by the his size, but the voice that comes out of that incredible young man is unbelievable and he is young, somewhere around 25- I just googled. I also understand he has lost a lot of weight. He needed to for his health if nothing else, says she who's scale numbers are soaring.

I was a tad irritated at WNED our PBS station tonight, they showed snippets of programmes rather than the whole thing. One of the snippets was about painting, in particular that of Leonardo da Vinci and how he achieved what he did. Just got really into it and they ended that snippet. I know they were showing what wonderful programmes Nova airs so that we would cough up with a contribution, but I sure wouldn't have been persuaded by this. Nature and Nova are two of our favourite programmes but we didn't get to relax and enjoy them tonight.

Cathy came in with our shopping this afternoon, she was in a bit of a hurry but one thing she said, she had been trying to find me on Facebook although we have been talking to one another on Messenger for a while, however, I went to see if I could find her on Facebook. I did, but couldn't become friends as such. I don't know what's up with that.

Thursday, I go to see the vascular surgeon about the CT scan I had last week, will be interesting to see what he says. I have had a lot of pains with my legs the last few days. Fingers crossed he can help. I am going in a cab again as it was a little too late to get a ride from CSC.

This is one of my all time favourite recipes, Matt used to make them every year, but I have never made them myself with the result that I haven't had them in a long time. Why, you ask? Because I am scared of Phyllo. I really don't know how to handle it, yes I have read the instructions etc. but I have never been brave enough to try. Stupid, I know, I bought a packet of phyllo a few years ago and eventually it ended in the garbage because it had sat in the freezer for so long. We went to Paula Deen's restaurant many years ago. The Lady and Sons in Savannah, Georgia. Pretty well know restaurant in the south.

Asparagus Phyllo Bundles

For one roll:
Phyllo - 1/2 sheet for 2 asparagus
2 stalks asparagus
Parmesan, grated

1. Brush phyllo with butter, sprinkle with Parmesan, place 2 asparagus in middle and roll. Place in baking dish, sprinkle more Parmesan and put in oven 375 F for 15 mins.

Yield: one roll:

Source: Paula Deen

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the vascular surgeon.
    I chickened out on phylo pastry for ages, but when I finally bit the bullet I discovered it is quite forgiving. Give it ago - and that recipe looks marvellous.
    It was a spinach and fetta pie which made me brave it... Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue.

      Also thanks for the encouragement. Yes, spinach and feta pie is delicious.

      Delete
  2. Good luck today with the surgeon - hope you get some answers. Love using phyllo ... so will use if there's an opportunity ... usually a spanokopita 'pie': cheese and spinach. Must have been lovely when Matt used to make your bundles ... enjoy the asparagus though ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Dunno why I am so afraid of the stuff. I love spanokopita. Long time since Matt cooked anything unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the visit with the vascular surgeon, Jo. I hope that he can improve things for you. A little increased mobility would be great, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete