Thursday, June 18, 2020

Referral, LHIN, Groceries.

Don't know who it was (well I know the name) called me from my doctor's office and arranged to have a referral sent to the cardiologist and also for me to get a EKG which I was supposed to get but which they kept cancelling due to Covid. I know my previous cardiologist wanted to do it before I had any more vascular surgery. I don't expect to hear from the cardiologist for ages, they seem to take their time.

I spoke to my Care Coordinator at the LHIN today and she wasn't sure if I would be able to get more PSW help for Matt's exercises. But, as I explained, he is needing their help with showering more and more so she could phrase it that way. We are doing a video assessment on Monday, not sure how their system will work but we shall see. If not it will have to be a phone assessment.

Cathy came with my groceries and I eventually realised there were several things not included. I know I ordered Kleenex but they certainly didn't appear. I had complained about getting one carrot last week so this week I got two lots, a total of 7. One or two other items - I write notes in appropriate places but they just don't seem to read them. So, I put in a small order for tomorrow afternoon. Incredibly I can do that now. a week or two back I had to place my order more than a week in advance to get a time slot.

Cathy tells me they may be going away to a cottage next week. I am envious, both she and my new cleaner are off for a week to cottages. Ladydog and Zoey are coming for a visit tomorrow so that will be something to cheer me up.

Creamy Roasted Asparagus and Brie Cauliflower Soup

2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 Tbs oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
4 oz brie, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbs lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

1. Toss the asparagus and cauliflower florets in the oil along with the salt and pepper, arrange them in a single layer on a large baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes, mixing half way through.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.

3. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.

4. Add the broth and asparagus and cauliflower, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

5. Add the brie, basil, lemon zest and lemon juice, let the brie melt and season with salt and pepper to taste before pureeing to the desired consistency and enjoying!

Servings: 4

Source
Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Author Notes
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso paste by mixing some of the hot broth into the miso in a bowl before mixing it back into the pan sauce just after you remove from the heat. (Note: Miso is salty so go easy on seasoning with salt.)

Option: Add morel mushrooms.

Option: Garnish with crispy fried prosciutto, pancetta or bacon.

Option: Replace the cauliflower with a can of white beans, pureed

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

8 comments:

  1. I am very, very glad that Ladydog and Zoey are coming tomorrow. You need that lift.
    And a big sigh on the other issues. Why oh why do things become MUCH harder than they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sue. I have no idea, I guess it is sod's law.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - life always is challenging - I hope it sorts itself out. Sorry about both your helpers being away, but at least Ladydog and Zoey are visiting ... take care and enjoy those asparagus ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Hilary, I suppose it is better than being boring. I will definitely enjoy my asparagus. Going to bottle some more.

      Delete
  3. When my daughter was little I used to own a cottage, and at times I envied the people who came to visit for a weekend - all the enjoyment, without expense or maintenance. I was not sorry when I sold it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in both cases these cottages are rented David. I always thought actually owning one was a lot of expense. We used to have a small travel trailer which, IMHOP was much better.

      Delete
  4. They might have been out of Kleenex.
    I guess a cottage there is a cabin here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but they usually say if that is the case Alex.

      I guess it is.

      Delete