Thursday, May 9, 2019

Steamer Basket, Sharing, Mandarin, Scallops

Wednesday morning I wanted to put a chicken carcass and some veg into the steamer which ladydog's
husband fixed for me. Guess what, it doesn't fit my Instant Pot. Was I annoyed. Lucky I got my money back because of all the problems with it. I cannot find another source for the steamer basket other than Amazon and that's where I got the first one. In the end I put the carcass and veg in the regular insert and cooked it for 2 hours. It is very good. Got it chilling now. I am making the Hawaiian Barbecued Chicken for supper. I have since ordered another basket and have been assured (written on my order) that I can return it at no postage charge if it doesn't fit. Ve shal see.

Took Matt for his Xray and Ultra Sound on his knee. Funny in a way. Although he is having bad leg problems, he insisted he could get the car so off he went with his walker which he leaves in the garage rather than have the hassle of putting it in the trunk.. I took my cane and wandered to the lobby to await him. He arrived and I realised he didn't have his cane. So, I took over the driving and off we went. When we got to the lab, Matt used my cane and hobbled around the place as did I without the cane. It was actually quite funny. I had to help take his pants off. Another thing that amused me, the technician, female, said he should take his pants off. Not many women I would allow to say that to him LOL.

We were supposed to go to Mandarin with friends on Thursday, today to you, and Matt says he cannot go so I am being picked up by our friends to go for lunch. Matt doesn't need people or anything, I do. One of the things I love about the bowling alley is seeing all my friends.

Both ladydog and I love scallops and this one really fits the bill for me because, of course, it includes asparagus. ladydog doesn't like asparagus!!!! I might say I had some asparagus with my Red Lobster order yesterday, mistake, it was neither raw nor cook. Not good. Asparagus might be today, Thursday. Too cold to pick on Wednesday apparently, it was windy and I had no coat. Brrrrr.

Asparagus with Scallops, Browned Butter and Prosciutto

1 lb white asparagus, peeled, or green asparagus
3 1/2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
1 lb sea scallops
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth

1. Cook the asparagus in a large sauce-pan of boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the asparagus to a colander and leave the pan of water simmering on the stove.

2. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Add the prosciutto and cook over low heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer the prosciutto to a plate.

3. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the skillet. Add the scallops, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to a plate.

4. Add the lemon zest to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until browned, about 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and simmer for 10 seconds. Add the stock and simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet, until reduced to a rich glaze, about 3 minutes. Swirl in the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Return the scallops, along with any juices, to the skillet and cook over low heat until heated through.

5. Return the asparagus to the simmering water to heat through. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Using tongs, transfer the asparagus to a large platter and spoon the scallops and sauce over it. Top with the fried prosciutto and serve.

Servings: 4

Source: Food and Wine





Have a great day

10 comments:

  1. I never pass up a chance to go out to eat at a nice restaurant. Hope that's not a trend with Matt. We all need people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Alex. Matt hasn't really been a social person for a while now.

      Delete
  2. I need to go to Red Lobster in Niagara Falls. Glad he got the x ray and all that done. Hope you fared ok without your cane...I shake my head that he just took your cane...I also have a bit of a smile on my face...men! I wonder if you would be eligible for the Disability Tax Credit...did you ever look into it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning it Birgit, but we have both had that tax credit for years. A lot of people don't know about it though.

      Delete
  3. Haha! The visuals on that visit to the lab were great, Jo! I agree with you. I need people too. Maybe Matt will feel up to it next time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was married to someone who was not social. Drove me crazy but you know how that ended up. Even my eldest son complained about it when he was in school. I have a Friend whose husband is not social but insists on listening in to all of her conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does usually go to lunch though Denise. I couldn't bear someone who was totally unsocial but I guess Matt is getting that way.

      Delete
  5. I would make that scallop dish with broccoli instead of asparagus.

    ReplyDelete