Saturday, May 4, 2019

Gothic Architecture. Saturday Recipe,


Windows produce different Lockscreen pictures all the time and this morning (Friday) it was the Palace of Westminster in London, England. Studying the picture I thought about Westminster Abbey which is behind this building, you can just see the towers in the background, and I started wondering about the safety of that building after what I learned from the documentary about French Gothic Cathedrals. Westminster Abbey was built around 1066 and some of the problems of other Gothic cathedrals could well appear there too, but I could find nothing about it. Will have to do some more research. Mind you, the Palace of Westminster might be having problems too with their towers. Then, of course, I started wondering about other cathedrals in England. York Minster, of course, was rebuilt years ago but Canterbury is yet another Gothic building.

I was planning to do a flank steak recipe in the Instant Pot for Saturday night then discovered I needed an ingredient I don't have, so I Googled and found another one which is a "dump and go" recipe, which I am all in favour of. Re-reading this now, I am wondering if there is enough liquid. I might add some stock to the pot. I will see.

Instant Pot Marinated Steak - Dump and Go Dinner

2 lbs Flank Steak
1/4 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cups Olive Oil
2 Tbs Onion Soup Mix, Dried

1. Set Instant Pot to sauté.

2. Add flank steak and brown on each side.

3. Add vinegar, Worcestershire, olive oil and onion soup mix.

4. Lock cover into place and seal steam nozzle.

5. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.

6. Naturally release pressure for 5 minutes and quick release remaining pressure.

Servings: 4

Source: Once a Month Meals


Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. That is a cool picture. I have never received that one. This morning they offered three new ones that were all ugly, IMO. Why do folks like landscapes with weird colors and angles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly like all the pictures I have had Denise. I never get more than one at a time though.

      Delete
  2. That recipe looks fantastic. Wonder if I could adjust it for a Crock pot? I haven't yet gotten on the Instant pot bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really sure if you could Karen, however, the recipe itself was wrong. 35 minutes produced shredded meat not nice slices as shown in the picture. The taste was excellent except it needed salt but you would have to be careful about the time. You should get on the Instant Pot Bandwagon, I love it and have used it every day since I first got it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo,

    Yes.. Gothic cathedrals are definitely fragile from age. Wood structures only last for so long.

    That steak looks GREAT!

    Hope all is well with you and your hubby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael. Wood structures? They are stone Michael, very much so.

      The timing for cooking that steak was all wrong, much too long.

      Reasonably so, thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - sadly the place is in a nightmare condition - which they are in the process of repairing/patching up ... it's pretty serious. Apart from being rebuilt in 1834 ... and after WW2 ... and now it's sinking towards the Thames ... certainly no decision will be taken for a while ...

    I'd rather think about food!!

    But it's interesting how much can be done - York cathedral had a fire in 1984, Windsor Castle's fire in 1992, I wrote in September 2015 about repairs to Canterbury Cathedral after pieces of masonry came away ... there's a lot of collaboration between various agencies about repairs. I gather we have offered the French our help as they feel the need.

    Glad you both seem better - take care ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the photo I was wondering what was holding it up out of the water Hilary. That is going to be a big problem. Venice have lots of experience there.

      York was completely rebuilt and modern as I recall. Didn't like it. Yes, I remember you writing about Canterbury and I remember the fire in Windsor particularly as we had just seen a documentary.

      I would rather think about food too LOL.
      Sort of. thanks.

      Delete
  5. After centuries of staying up, one can see many negative effects taking place from stone decaying to sinking and more. I am still in shock over Notre Dame and hope crews realize and take even more care when they dust off old wiring or work close to timber. I am trying to get back and comment to every place and I apologize for not being here. I hope you are ok and Matt also. If you need to talk, I am here:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been thinking about you a lot lately Birgit. Nice to hear from you. Notre Dame was a shock, but whenever these marvellous old building burn (or get bombed) it is a shock.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how sturdy and long lasting they built things so long ago compared to how long things last today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately wear and tear is now showing up Susan. Even if they don't get burned down.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed seeing York Minster when I was there years ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never actually seen it Lisa, only pix, but remember not liking it many years ago.

      Delete