Friday, March 24, 2017

All Over, Food,

OK,  it's all over bar the shouting. I am minus 2 more teeth. The injections hurt like hell but that was the only thing that did, unless you count the bill. I was shaky and very cold when I left and right through til close to lunch. Then after lunch I was bored and so we went to the bowling alley after all. I was semi prepared to sit and watch, but didn't in the end and had one of the best games I've had for a while!!! I even beat Matt twice. Took a large mug of iced tea with me. No hot drinks.

I remembered a recipe we used to make a long time ago when in NC. It was a knock off of a paté sold
by Sam's. Basically you mix (cooked) smoked fish like kippers, smoked trout, etc. with Philly Cheese (whole pack) add 1 tbs of Mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip) 1 tbs lemon juice and 2-3 drops of Tabasco (or more to taste). It's delicious.

I ate it on whole wheat bread - having cut off the crusts which are a nono for me at the moment - small bites at a time. Matt just made a sandwich of his.

I also made a blancmange which is a typically English milk pudding. I have a packet which was sent by Matt's daughter several years ago (she sent 2 packs, only used one not sure why). I have never seen it in Canada. Having written this, I decided to Google, Guess what, good old Amazon sells the same packet as that I already have. Blancmange takes me back to my childhood, my mother used to make them for birthday parties for me. There is/was an English cook/author who published a book with original recipes. I tried making her recipe for blancmange. Quite different to what I was used to and I didn't enjoy it as much. I also tried her recipe for custard and that was absolutely no different to the Bird's Custard that so many of us in England used to use, probably still do.

I am not really up to writing much of a blog today, so that's it for now.

Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - oh gosh ... we hopefully once healed you won't be suffering the pain - and had some good bowling days. Glad you found something interesting to eat - that pate is good isn't it ...we have something similar here - and Pearce Duff's blancmange is ok!, and Angel Delight too - by Birds ... they've been making a comeback recently ... hope the recovery is an easy journey ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, hopefully, Hilary. Yes the paté is good and for some reason I had forgotten about it and not made it in years. Don't know Angel Delight. Recovery is proceeding in its own time!

      Delete
  2. Hope you're feeling better.
    I haven't had blancmange if years - it was a staple pudding when I was at school (many, many years ago!) and you've now got me hankering for it again!
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. I hadn't had blancmange either. You can't buy it in any stores here at all. Had some sent to me many years ago and suddenly thought of it yesterday. Not sure why I hadn't used the second pack. I made a chocolate one, it's delicious.

      Delete
  3. Isn't Amazon amazing? I have found lots of stuff there that is not for sale in stores here.
    As for your teeth, I hope you are doing okay today. I had to have four teeth pulled years ago to make room in my mouth for the others. Then it was three years of wearing braces. Not fun so feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon is amazing Denise. I wouldn't have thought of going there except that I Googled. Nobody in North America appears to have heard of blancmange (unless they came from the UK of course).

      Having some pain but nothing too terrible so far thanks.

      Delete
  4. I have to have a tooth extracted, too. Not worried about the actual extraction but I truly hate the bit while you're waiting for it to clot so I'm deeply impressed Yu could go bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was clotting before I left the dentist Helen. It was done very early in the morning so by midday I was fine to go bowling.

      Delete
  5. Who knew having teeth pulled would help your bowling game?
    Never heard of Blancmange before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I won't be having any pulled on purpose Alex.

      Nobody in North America seems to have heard of it unless they came from the UK of course.

      Delete
  6. I've heard of blancmange but I never knew what it was. I'm glad your extraction went well though and it's overwith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised you had heard of it JoJo. Yes, thank goodness, one more filling and then the plate.

      Delete
  7. You must be happy and relieved it's over with. The needles are always the worst especially if they have to do one at the roof of your mouth. Glad you could go to bowling and had a great game. This dessert sounds quite good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the worst Birgit. Very painful. Yes, the bowling helped.

      I love blancmange I must say.

      Delete
  8. I hope you're feeling better soon!


    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina, I seem to be doing pretty well.

      Delete
  9. Better out than in eh. No more toothaches anyway. My heart goes out to you Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Pinky. No more toothache, but bit sore still.

      Delete