Monday, October 21, 2019

Weekend, The Durrell's, Bowling, Panama Canal.

So, the weekend is over once more. Ate ham steaks on Saturday with pineapple rings. I have always enjoyed that combination. Also, made my Meals on Wheels carrot salad. Think I went a bit heavy on the cranberries though. Didn't go that well with the wine either.

I have been watching The Durrell's in Corfu. Funny, I read Gerald Durrell's animal books many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them, but the one I didn't enjoy was about his family in Corfu. I should get hold of all the books again. I read them in my 20's I think. I always remember the title of one books was Catch me a Colobus. He really wrote excellent books about animals although I wonder how they would sound today. Just checking Amazon and there are dozens of books written by several of the family by the sound of it. I will investigate further. It seems there were several books about Corfu and I think I only read one.

Bowling today, I have to dream up a name for our team, I hate being No. 9. My team used to be the dragons but the name was kind of taken over by people who were on our team when I had my hospital trip next year and they still have it. We used to have a summer team, the Griffons, so maybe I will opt for that. I thought of The Eagles, but I think the Griffons will be best. Dunno if Matt will bowl or not. As he spends most of his time on his lounger with his feet in the air,  he may well not do so. I cannot persuade him that walking regularly, plus any other exercise, would help him. Ah well.

Monday will actually be ladydog's day of entering the Panama Canal system. Do wish they still had a camera there so I could at least glimpse the ship going through. Just for fun. Actually it is pretty marvellous watching a ship progressing through even though the last time was only in short stills which changed ever 2 minutes I think.

I am quite sure this can be adapted to my Instant Pot. I love noodles. Just discovered Ivy, The Happy Whisk, eats noodle soups for breakfast. Never thought of that, must try it.

Brothy Chinese Noodles

This dish was inspired by Chinese Dan Dan noodles—ground pork and noodles in a spicy broth. We
use ground turkey and omit the traditional Sichuan peppercorns for convenience, but add hot sesame oil. Use toasted sesame oil instead if you want mild noodles.

2 Tbs hot sesame oil (see note) divided
1 lb 93%-lean ground turkey (I think I would go back to the pork)
1 bunch scallions, sliced, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
¾ cup water
3 cups thinly sliced bok choy
8 oz dried Chinese noodles (see Note)
3 Tbs reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs rice vinegar
1 small cucumber, sliced into matchsticks, for garnish

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ground turkey, all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring and breaking up the turkey, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add broth, water, bok choy, noodles, soy sauce, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the turkey mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Serve garnished with the reserved 2 tablespoons scallions and cucumber (if using).

Source: Eating Well

Author Notes
Hot sesame oil can be found in the Asian-food section of most supermarkets.

Dried Chinese noodles, often used in Chinese soups and lo mein, cook up quickly and can be found in the Asian-food section of most supermarkets.

Have a great day

8 comments:

  1. Too bad about Matt not wanting to exercise. It is so important but seems to be typical for many men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Denise, and he was once so athletic.

      Delete
  2. G and I both LOVE the Durrell's and are now watching the last season. Sniff sniff. We've actually watched the first three seasons twice!
    So sorry Matt isn't wanting to budge. You're right, exercise, even just a short walk would be good for him. I like the Griffin's. Or you could go for the Hufflepuffs! LOL. Harry Potter strikes again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I am enjoying the programmes to Lisa. He did at least bowl today.

      Ended up with the Hawks.

      Delete
  3. You could always be the Silver Foxes. ;)

    I've been feeling a bit like Matt. Just need to decide what I need to do and do it. I suppose he'll get up if he feels like it.

    Noodles for breakfast isn't odd at all. I made it through college eating Ramen noodles morning, noon, and night. I threw in the occasional pizza or taco to keep it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that Liz, wish I had read your comment before I told them the Hawks.

      Well of course there is a mental problem to deal with as well.

      I love noodles, had never thought of having them for breakfast before, but they will be on my menu in the future.

      Delete