Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Team Name. Costco, Barkeep's Friend, Shopping,

The other day a friend suggested Silver Foxes in the comments. That is the name I have gone with. I think it is great bearing in mind we all have to be above 55 to join this league (most of us are way beyond 55) and, of course, a lot of us have silver hair although, thinking about it, on our team, only Matt and I really have silver hair. The others are young enough not to have changed at all, or to have only wisps of silver.

A very quiet day and, until it was too late, it didn't occur to me to go  to Costco which I have been wanting to do for a while. I want to get some lamb. Maybe I can make it after exercise classes tomorrow.

Something I forgot to mention, the other day I was cleaning our stainless steel sinks and they had a couple of stains on them. I had bought some Barkeep's Friend for my Instapot pot so I tried it on the sink, way to go, it worked. I now have no marks in the sinks. I was so pleased. I had kind of thought that the Barkeep's Friend wasn't much more than Vim, I was obviously wrong. Not sure what the difference is, but it sure worked.

Tomorrow, trying something new with our cleaner. I am going to collect the groceries and she is going to come and collect them from me and carry them upstairs. Talking about it to Matt he commented "well I can do that", except that when I ask him to, he doesn't seem physically able at all. So, I don't know. Anyway, see what happens.

I thought this soup looked delicious and what a different way of serving it.

Roasted Green Tomato Basil Soup in Sourdough

This beautiful green soup pairs the tartness of green tomatoes with fragrant basil and thyme. Once
you’ve finished off the soup you can eat the sourdough bread bowl.

2 lbs ripe green tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, about
1 cup, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 to 4, whole round sourdough loaves
Sliced cherry tomatoes, for garnish (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Toss together 2 pounds of green tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in an even layer on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.

2. In an eight-quart stockpot over medium heat, add the onions and garlic with the butter and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook until the onions have slightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle in the crushed red pepper flakes and stir to combine, about 1 minute. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes and stock to the pot and bring to a boil. When soup comes to a full boil, toss in the fresh basil leaves and wilt over medium heat and simmer for about 8 minutes. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth, ensuring that the basil leaves are entirely pureed into soup. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.

3. To serve, warm the bread in the oven and the soup in a saucepot over the stove. When bread is heated through, carve a shallow hole in each loaf, and pull a few pieces from the center. Ladle the soup into the bread and serve right away. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and sliced cherry tomatoes, if desired.

Servings: 4

Source: Food & Wine

Have a great day
 

4 comments:

  1. I like that name ;)
    Being on the early side of 50, I will admit it's only Loreal that keeps me blonde lately. If not, I'd be a total gray fox.

    Do you have an elevator? If you do, have you ever thought of getting a grocery cart? My mother in law got a small one on amazon. Makes bringing in the groceries so much less work.

    I have green tomatoes in the garden. I'll have to try that soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was your idea Liz, and I liked it.

      Yes, we have a grocery cart, but I find it very difficult to manage these days I'm afraid.

      Lucky you.

      Delete
  2. I like that name and who doesn't like foxes. That cleaner sounds good. Did you buy it at Zehrs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly love foxes Birgit. Saw one round here not long ago. No, bought it from Amazon.ca

      Delete