Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Shopping Trip, Goat Story, Flu Shots, Busy,

Because I was being picked up to go shopping our foot nurse obliged by coming in a bit earlier. Nice of her. 10:30 I was picked up by a driver I get along with really well. His daughter lives up north and the driver told me she (and her hubby) had now got a goat, a male goat mind you, female would be more use perhaps, however, they take this goat for walks on a leash!!!! He even showed me a video of them doing just that. The goat looks pretty chubby and healthy. Funny though.

I made my salad before the nurse came so finished making my lunch and ate it as now we have to go get stabbed in the arm. Flu shots. I always get a sore arm, Matt, of course, does not. Then, I think we can relax for the day - except for cooking supper of course. Our days are either a big rush or we having nothing to do. The shots were OK, but it nearly killed the pair of us walking to the back of the drug store. I saw a comment about why do they put the drug area so far away when it was sick people who needed to go there. I concur with that especially after today. I have decided that Matt, at least, should always have a walker with him. We have both been managing with canes (putting walkers in the trunk is a pain in the rear end). By the way, it is now 9:30 and my arm hurts!!!!

Ladydog let me know they are in Chile right now. Visited islands full of birds and sea lions and both want to return to Chile. I am sure they have been there before and she said the same thing.

Sorry about the lack of blog yesterday. I was running late and wanted to do my Spanish lesson before bed plus I was desperately tired for some reason, still am pretty tired, and yet I have been sleeping like a log.

Forgot, got back home after our flu shots, parked the car in the underground parking area and walked the 10 miles (well, seems like it to me) back to the door into the building. Got upstairs and realised we hadn't been to the liquor store. I was out of scotch, horrors, so rested a short while and off I went, 10 miles back across the garage and off to the LCBO. I went to a small one which is easier to navigate, picked up my scotch and then thought of Port which I enjoy after Saturday night dinner. Asked where it was, said at the back of the store, I said forget it (done enough walking) young man at the cash desk asked what I wanted and went and got it for me, I don't think they would have done that in the bigger store we got to sometimes. So, home I went and walked the 10 miles back in the garage and by the time I got back to the apartment, I had had it. Fell asleep shortly after.

I bought two boneless legs of lamb but I am sure I can adapt this recipe. I have linked the demiglace as well, I wasn't sure how to make it so this is a shortcut.

Roast Leg of Lamb with Red Wine Sauce

Some of the most creative new wine lists are emphatically local. Broadway East in NYC champions
New York state wines, while Terroir in Portland, Oregon, supports Pacific Northwest producers; chef Stu Stein serves this lamb with a Columbia Valley Syrah

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 Tbs chopped sage
1 Tbs chopped parsley
2 tsp chopped rosemary
1 7-pound, bone-in leg of lamb
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 cup veal demiglace
1 cup water

1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the oil with the mustard, garlic and herbs. Coat the lamb with the mixture; season with salt and pepper.

2. In a roasting pan, toss the onion, cel­ery and carrot with the remaining oil. Place the lamb fat side up on the vegetables. Roast for 1 hour and 40 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 130°. Let rest for 15 minutes.

3. Set the roasting pan over 2 burners. Pour in the wine and reduce over moderately high heat to 1/4 cup, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom. Stir in the tomato paste and simmer for 1 minute. Add the demiglace and water and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced to 2 cups, about 5 minutes. Strain the sauce into a small saucepan, pressing on the solids. Season with salt and pepper and keep hot.

4. Carve the lamb and serve the slices with the red wine sauce.

Servings: 6

Author: STU STEIN
Source: Food and Wine

Right, Spanish next.

Have a great day

8 comments:

  1. Nice of the man to go get it for you.
    Your days seem really busy to me. It would wear me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do better than me. I have needed to go to the post office for a week and keep making excuses not to go. The bank and the post office always feel like such a chore. And I hate to grocery shop. I guess I just hate errands in general!

    That was nice of that man to go get it for you.

    Could it be the season change that causes the sleepiness? I've been sleepy myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shopping is easy, just go pick it up. Don't go round the store as you know Liz. Yes, I agree, bank and post office are a chore but then I rarely go to either. Banking I do online.

      It was nice of him.

      Hadn't thought of that.

      Delete
  3. Having been there and done that when it comes to beer and/or wine, I sympathise with your scotch story, but it totally made me smile and good for the young fella to help a lady out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, being an Oirishman, you would know what I was talking about. He was very helpful.

      Delete
  4. I've heard two different theories about the placement of the pharmacy in the back of the store. One is to make it more difficult for robbers but the other is so that you have to walk through all the other merchandise and might be tempted to purchase something else.
    Good for the young man in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the merchandise story is probably closer to the truth Susan. I should tell him everyone appreciated him.

      Delete